When did you guys started watching MMA?

When did you guys started watching MMA?

• Total voters
I'm making this thread/poll for @TCE

For me UFC 1 - 1999

Thanks, bro.

Tito Ortiz vs. Ken Shamrock for me. That fight literally got me hooked, because I remember watching Ken in the Attitude era of the WWF. My brother showed me this fight and I was intrigued to see how he would do in a real fight.

I grew up on boxing and Tae Kwon Do as a child. By the early 90s, my dad and I were watching Toughman Competitions on PPV as an alternative to mainstream boxing coverage.

Then we watched UFC 1 live, that night everything changed, the rest is history

For me it was 1993 when UFC first started, my dad and his friends would get the PPV. I watched the first few events, rented on VHS and then stopped watching or a few years and then came back around 2003 and been watching since then.

I was in 6th grade when I really started paying attention, 95-96. I saw UFC 1 that my friend's dad had recorded off the PPV, some time between 94-95, but I didn't really pay attention and was talking about VR Troopers most of the time, so I don't count it.

UFC 1-5 or so, then I got heavy into boxing and thought mma was for morons. 2007 I discovered boxing is for morons and got balls deep in mma. Now I'm a filthy casual, where I've been for several years.

I would rent the video tapes from blockbuster when I was a kid. I was also a big wrestling fan so I originally started watching them because I liked Ken Shamrock.

I think it was around TUF 1 when I really got into it though.

Friend on HS lacrosse team showed me blockbuster VHS of UFC 6 I think in about 1996 or 1997. At that point I saw all the ufcs that blockbuster had, which was 1 thru maybe 6 or 7. Then got more focused on chasing tail, drinking and doing drugs during college years.

Started watching every event in real time around 2005 after 1st shoulder surgery when I saw Ultimate knockouts 1 on late night cable, then "Best of Pride FC" with Jay Glazer and Frank Trigg. Joined here and was called a "Tuf noob" around that era.

sddefault (4).jpgtsoqm3g5s0v51.png

Last edited:
I put "rise of McGregor/Jones" as timeframe but it's not exactly right, my first live PPV was UFC 217, tuned in for the three title shots and the return of St-Pierre.
Before that I used to watch Korean Zombie fights randomly.

Back