When did you guys start

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by ImTechn9que, Oct 14, 2005.

1. ImTechn9que

ImTechn9que Blue Belt

I'm 17 and i've been boxing for about a year now on and off (b/c of injuries in football, etc), i like boxing and i'm naturally good at it so i picked it up fast, i have torn ligaments in my elbow right now though so i can't really do anything for a while, but once i get that fixed (probably 4-6 weeks unless it's going to require surgery) i really want to start doing jiu jitsu. i have no experience at all with it or any form of wrestling and i'm wondering what it will be like when i first go and if anyone else has started as late as i am going to

2. Rico11643

Rico11643 JoeSonDo White Belt. Ima bad MF for reals.

17 is not late at all. I started when I was 19

3. vanguard_anon

vanguard_anon Clever user title

17? I started when I was 32. You would be the 2nd youngest person in my class. 90% of the guys are in their 20's.

You can expect to get positionally dominated for 4-6 months, even if you're large and athletic. Grapplers are rarely "naturals". Success comes from attendence and hard work. Most classes start with a little warmup or cardio. Then you'll do specific techniques, then you'll roll. (rolling is what the live sparring is called). If your elbow isn't 100% be sure to tell whoever you're rolling with so they leave it alone.

4. Jason Pair

Jason Pair Amateur Fighter

Lol. Nice username.

5. ichimonji

ichimonji Blue Belt

expect to be sore. Some will tell you to lift and some will tell you to jog .. just expect to get very tired and sore your first couple of months.

what I would do is follow very close instructions from your physical therapist on rehabing you elbow and do a shit load of Ab work.

All BJJ is about core strength.

6. triso

triso Green Belt

You'll be fine. Just attend class as much as you can, and try to learn as much as possible. I think the hardest thing to pick up is not the movements themselves, but the reasoning behind all of the movements.

The little things, like grip, posture, creating space, hip movement, and proper positioning are the important things, and the most difficult to get down. Realizing when you need to do each of these, and why, and in what position is difficult. This comes in time (I assume).

Don

7. Weonlywonsixtwo

Weonlywonsixtwo Banned Banned

I started at 16 now training for 4 months.

8. jadizm

jadizm Self Serve Vanilla Pussy!!

yup you'll know when your improving your ground skills

9. KillaKix

KillaKix Brown Belt

Standing by a brick wall, with a can of spray pain
    i started at 16...i wish i started martial arts as a younger kid like 7 or 8 that would be sick

10. greasemonkey

greasemonkey Banned Banned

I started jiu-jitsu when i was 12, i took like a year off after a while i just lost interest for some reason. I started training again back in March and im back for goood. Good luck on those BJJ classes, don't give up after a few classes just because you get dominated, believe me its worth it.

11. Little Mac

Little Mac Green Belt

I started Judo(which I was trying to get into BJJ) when i was 15..now Im 18 im in BJJ now

12. EclipseAgent

EclipseAgent Guest

I started Wrestling when I was 14, and Greco Roman Wrestling at 15, then some Kickboxing at 16 and Boxing at 18

13. Bubble Boy

Bubble Boy Black Belt

Got you beat young whipper snapper. Started Judo when I was *winch* 34!

14. afjiu-jitsuguy

afjiu-jitsuguy White Belt

I started American Freestyle Jiu-Jitsu when I was 14 and I am almost turning 16, however Ive only been in AFJJ for only 1 year and almost 2 months.

15. VampireMonk

VampireMonk Black Belt

started TMA in junior highschool
    MMA in college

glad I did it this way too.

16. dapunisher

dapunisher Guest

im 20 years old, and im the youngest person in my bjj class

17. FutureBxer

FutureBxer Brown Belt

I just started 2 months ago and im 19 so no ur not starting late.

you can expect to get ur ass kicked, a lot.

you're going to get tapped, tapped and then tapped some more. BUT dont let it discourage you cuz it has that effect on a lot of guys. Just remember that everybody before you had to go through it and consider it a right of passage. It breaks you're ego down pretty good but as you start to land moves in training itll start to build back up. Sucks at first but IMO a great learning experience.

plus make sure to stretch good cuz flexibility is key AND it helps prevent injuries. speaking of which - you're going to get hurt/sore a lot at first. Limbs/joints will be sore - it's just a part of adjusting to the training.

make sure to tap early and dont try tooo hard to power out of submissions that are most likely going to tap you anyways. - If the sub is locked in tight and you have no idea how to get out - just tap. It's not a competition and it's not worth injuring yourself cuz then you'll be out for weeks sorta like you are now.

tappling early is the smart thing to do when you're a beginner - better safe then sorry.

18. knoxpk

knoxpk Black Belt

17? Still in HS or out?

Right about now wrestling season starts in HS. 1 good year of training (even if you dont make varsity) would be a GREAT base to start from. Read many posts here from BJJ guys just starting out saying "help holding down a wrestler" "help taking down a wrestler" "help sweeping a wrestler" there is a reason for that. The training. BJJ will be there after u graduate(assuming you are still in HS) and to have that base will help you in a part of grappling that BJJ and most sub grappling does not focus on...takedowns and transition from feet to ground.

19. ClubberLange

ClubberLange Green Belt

started a little before my 21st birthday in 2002.
    I just want to stress how easy it is to injure youyrself in grappling. Try and go easy to start off with. I know it's hard, but you're body will thank you for easing into it. This comes from my own stupidity of thinking I could jump into training 5 days a week, and train hard every time.

20. LCDforMe

LCDforMe Purple Belt

I started at the age of 16. Many people who are joining the classes are in their 20s and 30s. No way is 17 too late.