• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

When did beards get popular all of a sudden?

came for the beard pics

wrong type of beard.

They are extremely popular among bald man, my guess to make up for the lack of hair they can't grow upstairs.
LOL I've had a three or four day beard for years now. I guess with my long hair the Jesus look works for me.

IDK, I think they're kinda sexy.

Depends on the dude.

This is how I'm left feeling being the odd beardless one now
View attachment 490089
#metoo bro
#metoo

13n22x.jpg

50 years old and still can't grow a beard.

but i can grow a full Van Dyke.

217982_10150970631630378_31192937_n.jpg

31375B51-AFD0-44D5-838C-A86ABB435D16.jpeg They’ve always been popular. All the men that grow them know.

Stay away from the Pacific North West. Place is full of scroungy grungy neck beard lumberjack looking guys.

Ooo you young people, everything you think is popular now has been popular 10 times before, probably 20 years ago, 40 years ago and so on.
As you get older you will notice everything in fashion comes around again and again and nothing is new.

I acknowledged that it was a thing... it just made a comeback in recent years.

Ricki Hall is when the metrosexual hipster fully embraced the beard, but taking the longer view, the man who I think ushered in the era of the full beard was Jake Gyllenhaal. I still remember one of those fashion bloggers who will offer commentary on fashion at places where it isn't normally critiqued, like the ones they bring in for the Kathy Lee viewers during the Super Bowl, writing about Jake who was sitting courtside at an NBA game sometime around 2006-2008 by declaring, "Clean shaven is out. The full beard is in." It was definitely when the Lakers were still good. Maybe it was for the launch of Grantland, but I think it was earlier. The blogger then listed another dozen of the heaviest hitting A-celebrities out of Hollywood also rocking full beards (including Leo). There were enough celebrities and it was jarring enough a look at the time that I found the article compelling, and not the typical gab-driven gas you get from fashionistas. He traced the noticeable trend to Jake as the source including dates.

I can't recall anything earlier. This was the closest I could find (from 2007):
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-ab&q=jake+gylenhaal+full+beard
it happened before that and I can pinpoint the EXACT time. It was upon publication of this photo during the early part of the the War in Afghanistan (2002'ish):
Special_Forces_soldier1.jpg

At the time I was a contributer to a "fashion and lifestyle" blog (we all have our dark secrets) and this photo somehow spread like wildfire among the dainty hipsters who discussed menswear and grooming. Nowadays everyone is what was once classified as a "metrosexual" but that was a niche pursuit in those days right on the verge of mainstreaming.

This coincided with the resurgence of "authentic workwear" like Pendleton flannel, Japanese selvage denim, Alden boots and a host of other excessively costly garments to mimmick that perfectly weathered look.

But it can all be traced back to this photo.

I keeps my beard clean and trimmed.

nCCnGex.jpg

The fuck you talking bout ts,

Beards been a thing since the Hipster thing started...

That's been a good six or seven years already..

Go outside, or stop looking down at your fucking phone all of the time when in public and maybe you would have seen this shit a long time ago.

FUCK THIS THREAD!!
He said 5 years, and you say 6 or 7. I'd say you're splitting hairs.

Beards have been popular since modern man entered the scene about 250,000 years ago.

Back