• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

When comparing championship runs, one must consider invisible title defences

I'm sick........

Sick of the lack of distinction between résumé and being the overall better fighter.

This topic is often brought up during Khabib vs. JBJ GOAT debates. The argument is that Khabib is the more dominant fighter but JBJ has the superior record - Johny's 15 title fights to Khabib's 4. However, when comparing their records, why does no one ever mention Khabib's invisible title fights?

Taking into consideration invisible title fights, Khabib's record is more like 35-0. Most of JBJ's title fights are visible, so his true record matches his technical record (27-1).

What is an 'invisible title fight'? It's essentially a hypothetical title fight that you can rule as being a guaranteed win if it were to happen. For example, Khabib didn't fight Dan Hooker, but if he did he would definitely have won that, so we can count it as an invisible title fight. Oliveira technically wouldn't be an invisible title fight, since that would have likely been more competitive.

If Usman didn't fight Masvidal, Masvidal would have been an invisible title fight. This is an example of an invisible turned visible title fight. JBJ has many of these since he fought both the very best and some of the leastest best.

Caution must be taken when counting title fights. It can only be ranked fighters during a champion's title reign. Also, until we see JBJ vs Stripe, we can't count any HW invisible title fights for JBJ since we don't know how good he truly is at HW.
This thread would be better.....
if it was invisible

So how, in your fantasy world, Hooker got a title shot? If we are going into fantasy land matchups as title fights, at least include guys that were basically next but never got to fight for the belt for whatever reasons, like Ferguson, he fought for the interim, but i guess you get the point.

Last edited:
What a stupid fucking topic. Jones didn't have any imaginary wins because he beat fucking everybody, including champion after champion in succession from the most recent to the 2nd most, 3rd most, etc. etc.

Khabib could have been slept by anybody any given fight, his striking was pedestrian in comparison to the other greats and there's tons of Ronda esque highlights to show it. He was very dominant but he was very flawed compared to Jones and GSP.

Don't @ me unless you also acknowledge his paltry 58% opponent win rate outside the UFC and 67% in the UFC compared to guys like GSP, Aldo, Jones, Silva who all had opponent win rates of 72% and above.
Flawed compared to GSP? GSP has been submitted, finished by strikes from Serra and had his face rearranged by Hendricks. Khabib has dominated everyone and actually finished his opponents unlike GSP. Khabib’s striking is underrated too. It’s awkward, but he has good power, very good defence and he’s quite unpredictable.

Please don't move that thread, invisible fights are becoming my favorite thing right now

I myself am an invisible fighter with a huge invisible palmares so I can relate obviously.

Man, I've read some dumb things on Sherdog but you really outdid yourself with this one

giphy.gif

What is an 'invisible thread'? It's essentially a hypothetical thread that you can rule as being guaranteed for wasteland if it were to happen.

This is an example of an invisible turned visible thread.

This is literally one of the dumbest things ever written on Sherdog. Are we simply to assume that Khabib beats Hooker? Hello, do you even follow MMA? There are no things that are certain, we just witnessed that in the latest MW title fight.

This is literally one of the dumbest things ever written on Sherdog. Are we simply to assume that Khabib beats Hooker? Hello, do you even follow MMA? There are no things that are certain, we just witnessed that in the latest MW title fight.
Khabib easily beats the old "wear my polo shirt and bring lemon bars to the garden party" Hooker. No way he beats new "heavily tattooed extra from a Coal Chamber video" Hooker. If I'm gonna rule on this invisible fight concept I'm gonna need some Hooker clarification.

i honestly absolutely agree buts let's be honest khabib smashes everyone and makes it look easy

I'm sick........

Sick of the lack of distinction between résumé and being the overall better fighter.

This topic is often brought up during Khabib vs. JBJ GOAT debates. The argument is that Khabib is the more dominant fighter but JBJ has the superior record - Johny's 15 title fights to Khabib's 4. However, when comparing their records, why does no one ever mention Khabib's invisible title fights?

Taking into consideration invisible title fights, Khabib's record is more like 35-0. Most of JBJ's title fights are visible, so his true record matches his technical record (27-1).

What is an 'invisible title fight'? It's essentially a hypothetical title fight that you can rule as being a guaranteed win if it were to happen. For example, Khabib didn't fight Dan Hooker, but if he did he would definitely have won that, so we can count it as an invisible title fight. Oliveira technically wouldn't be an invisible title fight, since that would have likely been more competitive.

If Usman didn't fight Masvidal, Masvidal would have been an invisible title fight. This is an example of an invisible turned visible title fight. JBJ has many of these since he fought both the very best and some of the leastest best.

Caution must be taken when counting title fights. It can only be ranked fighters during a champion's title reign. Also, until we see JBJ vs Stripe, we can't count any HW invisible title fights for JBJ since we don't know how good he truly is at HW.

I think you're on to something.
Absolutely not, you don't get any credit for fights you'd hypothetically win.

Sean Strickland Absolutely would of been an invisible title defense for izzy by your logic. They fought and Strickland beat the shit out of him.
"By your logic."
kevin-hart-say-what.gif

Back