when blocking punches with your hands/gloves

babyjay

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
When boxing and blocking a punch, where is your hands placed exactly? I ask this because all though my hands are up, the impact from his punch landing on my gloves hits my head pretty hard. Kinda like im hitting myself when he hits my gloves.

Also, what if you are using barehands? where would you place them then?

go to a real boxing instructor and learn how to properly shell & wing

When you block a punch your hands should be right against your head so you dont punch yourself.

try working ur catch, and shields. with boxing gloves usually ull just coverup ur whole face like most do with the gloves touching ur head. with bareknuckle try using the crazy monkey which involes blocking punches with forearms and elbows

whats a wing? yeh just push ur hands on ur head

yeah, if there is mani space between glove and face you might catch your own thumb into ur eye.

When it comes to general blocking, it depends on the type of fighter u are. For str8 up puncher types, u should have ur hands very close to your head, moving it out of the way of hard punches and let any wide slaps merely smack against the sides of your gloves, letting u counter right back. For the mobile boxer types, u should try to parry and catch more than actually block punches, as in deflecting the punch with one hand and countering with the other, or just move your body away so u have both hands free to counter. Altho u should know the general usage of blocking no matter what, just keeping your hands up and knowing what punches to let hit your gloves and what to avoid, b/c no matter how tight ur guard is, a very powerful punch will just go right through it. Head movement also helps deflect some sting off the punch if it manages to hit your gloves guarding your face.

good post kameblabla , i dont agree about the hard shots tho. iv been hit by some monster shots and some big head kicks and with a tight elbow block/crazy monkey defence they havent penetrated at all.

if the figther is bigger and stronger than you its best to parry the blow because fist on fist and you're gonna come off worse. however if you're confident that you're bigger than the guy place your hands over your head and keep them tightly packed because otherwise you will run the risk of hitting yourself

basically what you should do is go to a boxing coach for like an hour and have him teach you, it doesn't take long to learn the basics and what people have posted here seems like what i've been taught.

I was told to think of the gloves as pillows. Put them against your forehead.

Another thing I noticed that is when you do this, you also have to tense your neck so your head doesn't swing around. Is this considered necessary ?

Keeping the elbows in is also important I;ve been told.

SKD said:
I was told to think of the gloves as pillows. Put them against your forehead.

Not with good for MMA gloves; they don't cover enough and anyone who is good with combos will rock your jaw if you just hold your hands on your head a pray. Also you can't see what is happening with your hands over your face. This technique is really only effective if you are getting rocked and need to weather the storm.

Use head movement and keep your chin tucked. If you are going to try to parry punchs, (1st learn from a coach) but think about deflection not absorption.

Back