Wheat Allergy

carlsonbjj

Orange Belt
Reaction score
My doc just called and told me I have a mild allergy to wheat and soybeans.
I had a food allergy blood test done and this was the result.
What does this mean and what foods should I avoid?
Does this mean that every time I have eaten wheat products I have had some form of allergic reaction?
Anybody have any experience with this?

My doc just called and told me I have a mild allergy to wheat and soybeans.
I had a food allergy blood test done and this was the result.
What does this mean and what foods should I avoid?
Does this mean that every time I have eaten wheat products I have had some form of allergic reaction?
Anybody have any experience with this?

This is a pretty complicated topic, but the short answer is that yes you have a reaction. It could be low level inflammation, since you are "mild". Basically means your immune system is on alert. This is not as good as it sounds, because inflammatory substances released damage your own cells too.

You aren't as bad as someone with full celiac disease, so you can have wheat on occasion, but it's still best avoided.

Most likely you are allergic to wheat gluten. You have to find non-wheat products (very hard). Even soy sauce has gluten.

Don't feel bad. Many people have wheat allergies, but they don't know it. Consider yourself lucky.

This is a pretty complicated topic, but the short answer is that yes you have a reaction. It could be low level inflammation, since you are "mild". Basically means your immune system is on alert. This is not as good as it sounds, because inflammatory substances released damage your own cells too.

You aren't as bad as someone with full celiac disease, so you can have wheat on occasion, but it's still best avoided.

Most likely you are allergic to wheat gluten. You have to find non-wheat products (very hard). Even soy sauce has gluten.

Don't feel bad. Many people have wheat allergies, but they don't know it. Consider yourself lucky.

This. TS, I'm sorry to hear about your allergy. Thankfully, there has been a surge recently in the number of wheat-free substitute foods on the market.

Yeah man, it means every time you consume something containing wheat you will experience inflammation. This may be a good thing. I bet you will feel a noticeable difference once you drop wheat from your nutritional plan. At my old gym we did various lab testing. One woman that did the allergy food test found out that she was basically allergic to everything (wheat, dairy, chicken, etc). She had been fighting to lose weight for a long time. Little did she know that she was literally sabotaging herself with what she was eating. Sad thing is she wasn't a very good cook and really had no idea what to eat on a regular basis. I haven't seen her in a while. I hope she hasn't starved to death.

I have been looking to start a paleo with dairy diet for a while, so I guess this gives me a good reason to start.
Where should I begin when stopping wheat products? Just eat lots more meat and veggies as a replacement?
Also, if i get a small amount of wheat or soy (Im mildly allergic to soy as well, according to the tests), will it have the same effect as a large amount of soy? IE is it dose dependent?
If any of you have any other advice I would be happy to hear it, as I don't really understand what is going on in my body when I eat wheat.

I have been looking to start a paleo with dairy diet for a while, so I guess this gives me a good reason to start.
Where should I begin when stopping wheat products? Just eat lots more meat and veggies as a replacement?
Also, if i get a small amount of wheat or soy (Im mildly allergic to soy as well, according to the tests), will it have the same effect as a large amount of soy? IE is it dose dependent?
If any of you have any other advice I would be happy to hear it, as I don't really understand what is going on in my body when I eat wheat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cv5RwxYW8yA

Watch the video above it will brake down some important but overlooked things about gluten, wheat vs. other grains etc.

I would email your doctors your concerns and make sure he gets back to you in a timely manner. He is your doctor and you pay him which means he can be fired and you can move on to someone better if you so choose. It is perfectly normal and except able for you to have questions/concerns and you may just need to ask for further explanation. (*not saying he isn't a good doc..just that an open line of communication needs to be established)

I have gluten intolerance/sensitivity etc. There are several different terms used to describe people with digestion issues regarding wheat and its similar foods. Celiac, Non-Celiac sensitivity or gluten sensitivity, and wheat allergy. All three are different and require some understanding of their nuances to properly treat and deal with.

Inflammation is usually one of the problems that comes with one of the above illnesses. Some people refer to gluten sensitivity as an allergy and it isn't the same thing. I'm sure your doc didn't tell you one thing and mean another but you may want to clarify.

There is a slew of possible symptoms you could experience with even a slight reaction to wheat. Some people get headaches only or stomach becomes upset such as bloating or diarrhea or heartburn or all the above. Some people experience no real symptoms or discomfort at all. Also, sometimes you develop the allergy like any other allergy later in life. It can be a complicated and difficult thing to diagnose but luckily you have someone that found out what was going on with you at least partly. Some people you could say are better adapted at digesting gluten or have a genetic "buffer" if you will that most don't. Most people in the world are not "adapted" to process wheat and certainly not in its current widely cultivated form. It is estimated that approximately 60% or more of the world's population had some degree of gluten intolerance/sensitivity. Many cultures and regions in the world didn't have wheat as a staple or even a regular amount of wheat in their diet til fairly recently when compared to history of mankind/homo sapiens. Just know that your not that unusual as far as having a problem with wheat, and there are now tons of resources you can turn to for information, cooking ideas, and lifestyle changes etc.

Gluten sensitivity can cause the above symptoms as well and many more. It can lead to autoimmune disorders and Celiac disease is in fact an autoimmune disorder like Rheumatoid Arthritis, Asthma, or IBD (*Chrons/Ulcertive- Colitis)etc.
It can make you nervous/anxious, cause depression, and/or interfere with nutrient absorption and basically reek havoc on your immune system and neurological system. Actually, most people that have Celiac or Non-Celiac disease experience neurological issues rather than digestive ones.

For now I would stay completely away from all wheat and gluten products. That means basically being "gluten free"...its becoming a bit of a trend now but there is many people that suffer from some type of Gluten issue. Anyway, I wouldn't eat Wheat/Rye/Barely/oats etc. Even oats are usaully cross-contaminated with wheat due to being farmed right beside one another and processed with the same machinery and then even if that wasn't the case you have the whole digestion problem that comes up b/c oats have a similar build to them and when your body begins to digest it for some people it thinks its gluten and begins to "attack" it like a foreign or dangerous substance and then a cascade of things begin to happen internally and you feel like crap. All grains even rice have prolamin proteins in them and again "cross" react with your digestive/immune system and cause problems. Not every person has this problem that is allergic to wheat, but id ver on the safer side for now. Give it at least 30 days without the things listed below if not 60 days to let your system settle down. Then start adding the grains you really like back one by one. Allow a week to pass before you add something else to your diet grain wise. A reaction can occur several days after eating something your allergic to or are sensitive to for lack of a better word.

Eating a "Paleo" or whole foods none processed foods diet is a great idea. It can be hard to adapt to at first but becomes easier with time. You have to start planning your meals and shopping a little differently but its worth it.

Cut out the following
Wheat/Rye/Barley (*Never eat again)
Soy (*Never eat b/c your allergic to it)
Oats
Corn (*worse "cross-reactor" than Oats)
Rice (*"safest" grain and least amount of harmful prolamin protein)

A lot of people that are wheat intolerant are also dairy or lactose intolerant. Again doesn't mean you are, but figured id throw that out there since im explaining the above. Usually the dairy problem is actually caused inadvertently by the wheat problem that has damaged your gut/digestive system and caused what is sometimes referred to as "leaky gut" or gut permeability. If you have no reason to think dairy is a problem then don't worry about it. You may want to try and purchase "Raw" milk from a local farm in your area. Its much better for you and less processed.

Last edited:
Sounds like you are having a funeral for him.
There are plenty of things to enjoy which don't contain grains. Cut them out and you will get a ton of health benefits.
I would advice cutting dairy as well, since all it does it provide artificial estrogen to your body.

there are other type of grain you can use to make flour and bread and such that don't have gluten such as Buckwheat, Quinoa (sp?), and millet.

sometimes people will say oats are technically gluten free but good luck finding them not processed in the same plant with other types of grain that have gluten or mixed b/c oats are, iirc, some of the most expensive grain.

and there are some herbs you can make flour out of too,

What should I eat instead for carbs? Beans? Rice? Also, where can I get quinoa and what exactly is it?

Man eliminating corn and rice is almost too much. Is there any way I can get tested to see if I am allergic to those? My doc only said wheat. I am going in for an appointment with an allergist on monday so I guess I can find out then.

Man eliminating corn and rice is almost too much. Is there any way I can get tested to see if I am allergic to those? My doc only said wheat. I am going in for an appointment with an allergist on monday so I guess I can find out then.

Eat vegetables and fruit for the majority of your carbs not rice or corn. Trust me its better for you anyway...but get tested and know that it isn't a 100% accurate and you should IMO do an elimination diet for 30-60 days which would include eliminating all grains and see how you look, feel, and preform. Try almond flour which is gluten free and brown rice flour as well to bake things or use as a replacement when things call for flour.

Do legumes/beans give you gas, bloating, stomach upset at all? Does milk make you bloated and/or do you have other allergy issues like to tree, pollen, dust mite, cats/dogs, grass, mold etc... if you do then you may respond well to eliminating conventional dairy b/c it will likely increase your mucus/flem etc. plus its not good for most people to drink conventional dairy in any significant amount. Hard cheeses, yogurt, and Kombucha Tea are different in general fermented dairy is better for you assuming of course you aren't lactose intolerant.

I know it hard to think about changing so much so soon, but again this is just my advice for you during the next 30-60 days...if you don't feel any better than start adding back the rest of the grains instead of wheat/rye/barley/oats.

How have you been feeling in general and what lead you to the doctor in the first place and why did he suggest an allergy test? What are your symptoms and how long have they lasted?

Im just suggesting something that may help you. Look into reading/skimming the Perfect Health Diet, GAPs diet, Paleo cooking/diet, etc. to find the types of things you can eat or should rather on a grain free diet if you will. And checkout Rob Wolf or Mark Sisson's respective websites for a ton of useful information on the above.

Eat vegetables and fruit for the majority of your carbs not rice or corn. Trust me its better for you anyway...but get tested and know that it isn't a 100% accurate and you should IMO do an elimination diet for 30-60 days which would include eliminating all grains and see how you look, feel, and preform. Try almond flour which is gluten free and brown rice flour as well to bake things or use as a replacement when things call for flour.

Do legumes/beans give you gas, bloating, stomach upset at all? Does milk make you bloated and/or do you have other allergy issues like to tree, pollen, dust mite, cats/dogs, grass, mold etc... if you do then you may respond well to eliminating conventional dairy b/c it will likely increase your mucus/flem etc. plus its not good for most people to drink conventional dairy in any significant amount. Hard cheeses, yogurt, and Kombucha Tea are different in general fermented dairy is better for you assuming of course you aren't lactose intolerant.

I know it hard to think about changing so much so soon, but again this is just my advice for you during the next 30-60 days...if you don't feel any better than start adding back the rest of the grains instead of wheat/rye/barley/oats.

How have you been feeling in general and what lead you to the doctor in the first place and why did he suggest an allergy test? What are your symptoms and how long have they lasted?

Im just suggesting something that may help you. Look into reading/skimming the Perfect Health Diet, GAPs diet, Paleo cooking/diet, etc. to find the types of things you can eat or should rather on a grain free diet if you will. And checkout Rob Wolf or Mark Sisson's respective websites for a ton of useful information on the above.

I told the naturopath that i had digestive problems, allergies, depression/nervousness, and acne.

Funny you have acne, cause acne is caused by too much sugar/carbs/dairy products and junk food (of course) leading to poor digestion, inflammation and acne.

Eating a no-grain diet is easier than it sounds. I'm eating tasty almond flour-based cookies as I type this. Doesn't mean you have to give up stuff you like, you just need to be more creative.

Going for a no gluten, no dairy diet would be best. Possibly no grains, but not all grains are bad, grains like buckwheat or quinoa that are pretty healthy, although now that I think about it I'm not sure they're even technically grains at all. Going raw vegan for a while wouldn't be bad either, it sucks taste-wise but would clear up your complexion and digestion right up.

Right now I am on a paleo with dairy diet. My inflammation has been reduced and I already feel leaner. It is a bit more difficult to do but I think it is worth it, especially if you are intolerant as I am.

I went to the allergist today and he said that if I wasnt getting hives or anything I dont necessarily need to eliminate anything from my diet. He said the whole food allergy thing causing low grade inflation was bullshit. He did say however that if it makes you feel better then by all means eliminate it. I dont really know what to think, I have been prescribed a fair amount of allergy medicine, such as singulair now. I will probably not eat wheat though, as I have been getting pretty ripped and my digestive system seems to work better.

I went to the allergist today and he said that if I wasnt getting hives or anything I dont necessarily need to eliminate anything from my diet. He said the whole food allergy thing causing low grade inflation was bullshit. He did say however that if it makes you feel better then by all means eliminate it. I dont really know what to think, I have been prescribed a fair amount of allergy medicine, such as singulair now. I will probably not eat wheat though, as I have been getting pretty ripped and my digestive system seems to work better.

I've had my run-ins with doctors, most of which were extremely apathetic to my problems. I'm not a doctor but that sounds like you showed up close to lunch time or he was trying to avoid rush hour or w/e.

Food allergies are serious business and can have very mild onsets and symptoms. Maybe i'm not understanding the context but that sounds a little silly. Often doctors are treated as gods so much that they believe they are never wrong even without verifying new data and research

I don't know what the hell your Naturopath means by its "bullshit" as far as having low grade inflammation. Trust me it is a reality for many people. Again, if you have an allergy to wheat there is absolutely no reason why you should ever eat wheat again. It isn't ok to eat it. Your allergic reaction can worsen overtime and as you age it could get worse...it could get worse a lot sooner than you think. That's the point though it isn't predictable at all really.

If you are just gluten sensitive then you should be able to tell after a few weeks of going gluten free whether or not your symptoms of indigestion, stomach ache nervousness/depression/acne etc. are better.

I don't know what the hell your Naturopath means by its "bullshit" as far as having low grade inflammation. Trust me it is a reality for many people. Again, if you have an allergy to wheat there is absolutely no reason why you should ever eat wheat again. It isn't ok to eat it. Your allergic reaction can worsen overtime and as you age it could get worse...it could get worse a lot sooner than you think. That's the point though it isn't predictable at all really.

If you are just gluten sensitive then you should be able to tell after a few weeks of going gluten free whether or not your symptoms of indigestion, stomach ache nervousness/depression/acne etc. are better.

It wasnt my naturopath, it was an allergist. I am getting tested for environmental allergies as well later this month.

Back