What's your worst read?

Jasper_RB81

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Hi guys,
We all hear about the great reads that people make… especially after the fights :)

But what’s your worst read?

I have had many bad reads over the years of course, but one recent one was Fiziev to beat Gaethje. I couldn’t believe the line you could get Fiziev at. I bet that fight very early thinking the line would plummet the closer to the fight we got, which it didn’t.

I just couldn’t understand how the market couldn’t see what a horrible style matchup this was for Gaethje and how much worse he had gotten lately… Fiziev was clearly gonna dominate this from start to finish, no doubt.
This was one of my biggest bets I have made and when the fight started, I was still regretting not betting more :)

But alas, I should have known that Gaethje is made different than the rest of the world.

Costly lesson for sure...

Agree on yours. I had Rafael for a good amount of money.

Old examples:
I went big on Ronny Markes as a dog vs Yoel Romero. Thanks God!
I thought Yoel was old then lol. Markes was younger, had decent striking, really good takedowns for a bjj guy, and good wrestling counters. I was high on Markes.
I thought Yoel was gonna be a 1 round fighter and Markes would take over.

Thiago Santos vs Eric Spicely
I remember he was a big favorite and parlayed him with almost every non-underdog play on the card.
I capped him as a -1000+ favorite and expected him to tko him in the 1st.

I remember being super confident in both TJ and Moraes to beat Cejudo. Triple C made me look silly, twice

Gane vs Jones easily lol. I gave Jones next to no chance, especially when the fight was first announced. I started having doubts as it got closer and saw more of Jones but I didn't cash out and rode with Gane. Then Jones made him look like a regional level amateur.

I have no idea, there's quite a lot of competition on this one lol.

Gane vs Jones easily lol. I gave Jones next to no chance, especially when the fight was first announced. I started having doubts as it got closer and saw more of Jones but I didn't cash out and rode with Gane. Then Jones made him look like a regional level amateur.

Ditto. Maybe not so extreme, I thought Jones had a chance for sure but didn't understand him being favored. Then he clowned Gane inside a round.

At least I had a lot of action on Jones under 2 takedowns so I still made $ on it. Not for the reasons I thought LOL. Gane got taken down once and quit...

I would of bet $100 on Game to beat Jones, I didn’t bet but I really was surprised
After every fight I always think why didn’t I see that coming it’s so obvious
But you wouldn’t watch if you knew the outcome, apart from the 2nd CM Punk fight

Both the same night and the first put me on tilt for the second and I lost most of my bankroll.

Mendes over Volk - Looks real bad in hindsight. Mendes dropped and hurt him in the 2nd and then completely gassed

Cyborg over Nunes - Thought Cyborg had the superior standup and Nunes would gas. Fight was over so quick, I wasn't even home with my takeout dinner.

Both the same night and the first put me on tilt for the second and I lost most of my bankroll.

Mendes over Volk - Looks real bad in hindsight. Mendes dropped and hurt him in the 2nd and then completely gassed

Cyborg over Nunes - Thought Cyborg had the superior standup and Nunes would gas. Fight was over so quick, I wasn't even home with my takeout dinner.

I was really high on Cyborg as well... Though she would smoke Nunes.

Cro Cop Vs Gonzaga 1
Stann Vs Wanderlei
Franklin Vs Cung Le
Vinny Mag Vs Anthony Perosh
Rashad Evans Vs Daniel Kelly

There's probably worse reads but those are the main ones that stick in my mind and losing most money on. Franklin Vs Le especially.

I've had many. Hettes vs. Nam Phan always sticks out to me.

Picked Donald Cerrone over Nate Diaz. Cerrone was like -220 as well.

lost a lot of money on that fight

Cro Cop Vs Gonzaga 1
Stann Vs Wanderlei
Franklin Vs Cung Le
Vinny Mag Vs Anthony Perosh
Rashad Evans Vs Daniel Kelly

There's probably worse reads but those are the main ones that stick in my mind and losing most money on. Franklin Vs Le especially.
I 100% lost more than $2,000 on Franklin vs Cung Le. That was a total shocker.

I think I had Franklin straight up, ITD and to close out about half a dozen parlays.

Was nowhere near as heavily on him in terms of amount of money riding on it but him getting sparked definitely was a significant chunk for me and in terms of lost winnings was a grand or two.

Still remember watching it and my stomach sinking as soon as it happened. Did help me realise I shouldn't include the same fighter in every parlay - especially if it's someone towards the end of their career and not the elite of the elite.

Back