What's Your Next Purchase? V5

Curious of your thoughts on it.

The eye & finger fuck test is quite satisfying. Haven't fucked with it yet because I'm a slackass about getting to the range and the last number of trips have been focused on the belt-fed and .22lr upper. There's usually 3-4 pistols getting shot too. I got an ACOG for the unfinished skull build that I can slap on so I'll test drive it next time and let you know. Not sure when that'll be. I've been extremely unmotivated lately.

You thinking of stepping into the AK-round AR game?

The eye & finger fuck test is quite satisfying. Haven't fucked with it yet because I'm a slackass about getting to the range and the last number of trips have been focused on the belt-fed and .22lr upper. There's usually 3-4 pistols getting shot too. I got an ACOG for the unfinished skull build that I can slap on so I'll test drive it next time and let you know. Not sure when that'll be. I've been extremely unmotivated lately.

You thinking of stepping into the AK-round AR game?

Yeah I've thought about it. It's a cheap round to get into as long as it's reliable with that Tula or Wolf ammo.

Yeah I've thought about it. It's a cheap round to get into as long as it's reliable with that Tula or Wolf ammo.

I'll be testing with Red Army Standard and CPD mags. In my research it seemed mags were the usual culprit with failures. The best reviews I came across were for CPD's. It's C-Products, but as I recall, an improved version with C-Products Defense branding. Something like that. But heads up, if you're having problems it could be the mag. If these CPD's don't work out I'll shop around. For good measure I picked up a couple each of the 5, 10, 20, 28, and 30's.

What optics would you consider?

You inspired another finger fucking of that upper. Shit looks nice man. BCM gunfighter. Chrome BGC. The gas system looks proprietary. If building I'd have gone with a different handguard. Not something I'm gonna sweat about.

I'll be testing with Red Army Standard and CPD mags. In my research it seemed mags were the usual culprit with failures. The best reviews I came across were for CPD's. It's C-Products, but as I recall, an improved version with C-Products Defense branding. Something like that. But heads up, if you're having problems it could be the mag. If these CPD's don't work out I'll shop around. For good measure I picked up a couple each of the 5, 10, 20, 28, and 30's.

What optics would you consider?

You inspired another finger fucking of that upper. Shit looks nice man. BCM gunfighter. Chrome BGC. The gas system looks proprietary. If building I'd have gone with a different handguard. Not something I'm gonna sweat about.

Probably stay more budget oriented, look at doing irons or a vortex, Sig, etc red dot in the sub $200 range.

At the same time I could also do a SLR AK.

DSC_4759.jpg

3d403ee83806ad1c4de3711db3891f8a.jpg

SLR-AK-Billet-Stock-Installed.jpeg

d6f05765daa1023fce991acb55b916f7.jpg

DSC_4643.jpg

Every time I look into getting an AK it seems I get a lot of conflicting info and I always just put the idea aside. While I will probably be using cheap ammo not capable of good groups nor will I be group testing it, I would still want the rifle itself to be able to produce roughly 2 moa. I read about some AK's from some countries producing an incredible 5 moa and combined that with shit ammo you could struggle to hit targets a 1-200 yards. Then you have certain models and year ranges from those countries that are good and some shit. So I just get frustrated quickly and shift thoughts to getting an AR in 7.62x39.

Probably stay more budget oriented, look at doing irons or a vortex, Sig, etc red dot in the sub $200 range.

DSC_4759.jpg

DSC_4643.jpg

Every time I look into getting an AK it seems I get a lot of conflicting info and I always just put the idea aside. While I will probably be using cheap ammo not capable of good groups nor will I be group testing it, I would still want the rifle itself to be able to produce roughly 2 moa. I read about some AK's from some countries producing an incredible 5 moa and combined that with shit ammo you could struggle to hit targets a 1-200 yards. Then you have certain models and year ranges from those countries that are good and some shit. So I just get frustrated quickly and shift thoughts to getting an AR in 7.62x39.

Maybe say fuck it and get a VZ-58. :D

9441110616_37174cd45e_b.jpg

Lol finally going to get my federal ammo rebate. I forgot about it, checked status, got denied falsely, called and got that remedied. $46.50 check on the way.

I just got back from a long ass road trip to my bow's manufacturer, in Biggar, Saskatchewan, home of the Hanson buck, and had them install their newest cam; with a rotating draw (limb) stop and upgraded the hardware to titanium:

oyu6Rt3.jpg

tEBEZfH.jpg

With the original OEM cams and because of how fast it is, the back wall felt a little spongey and the arrow was jumpy. Now, with the draw stop, which provides a solid back wall and because I shoot a trigger-style wrist strap release, in some ways, it feels like shooting a fucking rifle. That said, I kinda don't like how the titanium limb bolts went to a T40 (which I don't have a wrench for), from a 1/4" hex, but dat corrosion resistence, doe.

Oh yeah, and last week, while I was at the Calgary Stampede, I managed to pick up two dozen Gold Tip Velocities, 100 grain brass inserts and a pack of 100 grain Grim Reaper Pro Series 1 3/8th" mechanical broadheads.

riMgcI8.jpg

I'm doing my damnedest to have a successful season, this fall.

Last edited:
Want bow...

Want to finish AR 15

Want to finish AR 10

Want to finish Polymer80 build

Want to finish 6.5 Creedmoor build

NEED MORE MONIES!!!

Well my checks to the atf cashed. So some time next year :mad::(, I'll get my stuff :D.

Want bow...

Want to finish AR 15

Want to finish AR 10

Want to finish Polymer80 build

Want to finish 6.5 Creedmoor build

NEED MORE MONIES!!!
I noticed yesterday that the owner of APA Archery drives an older, 6.2 Raptor in black. Not really a truck guy, but I kinda want.

@RerouteToRemain, BRB, gonna buy one in Forza 7 and see if that holds me over.

DSC_4759.jpg

DSC_4643.jpg
The AK market is wonky. It's the age of AR. I say that as a die hard Kalash-nophile. Arsenal is busy with military contracts and Century has a chokehold on the importation of Cugir/Ratmil/Romarm AKs via exclusivity rights. They (Century) would rather peddle their pot metal Trashnikovs.
Every time I look into getting an AK it seems I get a lot of conflicting info and I always just put the idea aside. While I will probably be using cheap ammo not capable of good groups nor will I be group testing it, I would still want the rifle itself to be able to produce roughly 2 moa. I read about some AK's from some countries producing an incredible 5 moa and combined that with shit ammo you could struggle to hit targets a 1-200 yards.
Some wise man (or maybe it was a youtuber) once said the AK is more accurate than given credit for, and the M4/AR15 is more durable and reliable than given credit for. I believe this is certainly true. But at its essence, it wasn't designed for pinpoint accuracy. It will never be the tack driver some would like. It isn't just the cartridge itself, as AR's chambered in 7.62x39 give better accuracy. The 5.45 performs well, but the market is pretty much dead in the water. All said, it is not the rifle of a marksman. But it is capable of 2 MOA with the right setup and the right shooter.

Then you have certain models and year ranges from those countries that are good and some shit. So I just get frustrated quickly and shift thoughts to getting an AR in 7.62x39.
Truth be told... a stamped Romanian can do everything a stamped Bulgarian or Polish can do. The fit and finish (along with quality control) should be superior, but they don't run any better. Milled versions are superior. I find the extra weight to be negligible, but I'm not lugging it around days on end either. I tend to shy away from newer Serbian AK's. Drilling into both M92 and Draco side by side would make Yugo fan boys gasp and shudder. The difference in the strength of the steel is noticeable. The older Opaps and other examples with bulged trunnions and 1.5 thick stamped metal were solid. The Npaps arent anywhere near as impressive. Nicely finished but they tend to beat themselves apart faster than they should. I'm sure you've heard that chrome lining affects accuracy. There are plenty of nice kit builds (from reputable builders) that use nitride or melonite for the barrel.

The AK market is wonky. It's the age of AR. I say that as a die hard Kalash-nophile. Arsenal is busy with military contracts and Century has a chokehold on the importation of Cugir/Ratmil/Romarm AKs via exclusivity rights. They (Century) would rather peddle their pot metal Trashnikovs.

Some wise man (or maybe it was a youtuber) once said the AK is more accurate than given credit for, and the M4/AR15 is more durable and reliable than given credit for. I believe this is certainly true. But at its essence, it wasn't designed for pinpoint accuracy. It will never be the tack driver some would like. It isn't just the cartridge itself, as AR's chambered in 7.62x39 give better accuracy. The 5.45 performs well, but the market is pretty much dead in the water. All said, it is not the rifle of a marksman. But it is capable of 2 MOA with the right setup and the right shooter.

Truth be told... a stamped Romanian can do everything a stamped Bulgarian or Polish can do. The fit and finish (along with quality control) should be superior, but they don't run any better. Milled versions are superior. I find the extra weight to be negligible, but I'm not lugging it around days on end either. I tend to shy away from newer Serbian AK's. Drilling into both M92 and Draco side by side would make Yugo fan boys gasp and shudder. The difference in the strength of the steel is noticeable. The older Opaps and other examples with bulged trunnions and 1.5 thick stamped metal were solid. The Npaps arent anywhere near as impressive. Nicely finished but they tend to beat themselves apart faster than they should. I'm sure you've heard that chrome lining affects accuracy. There are plenty of nice kit builds (from reputable builders) that use nitride or melonite for the barrel.

What's the Colt 6920 of the AK-world right now (i.e. basic but quality, not overly-priced, good resale value)?

What's the Colt 6920 of the AK-world right now (i.e. basic but quality, not overly-priced, good resale value)?
It’s hard to give a fair equivalent because the AK market is so fucked up right now. In the days of Russsian imports the gold standard would have been the SGL, and the Vepr FM. Now they are fetching obscene prices because of the import sanctions. Arsenal of Bulgaria is well regarded, with the SLR series being king of the stamped receiver rifles, and the Sam7 series for the milled receivers. I’d say they would be the closest equivalent. They are civilian rifles built in a factory that also produces war rifles. So many of the older AKs have moved into collector status. The older Chinese and Hungarian AK’s are going for stupid money. Even the milled MAK-90s. Hell, even the stamped MAKs are pushing $8-850. The real fun is getting the equipment and learning to build yourself. Kits are drying up, but WBP in Poland and Cugir in Romania are still sending over new kits. The AK market is terrible unless you’re building.
With all that said, people have become hip to the fact that (in true AK fashion) the Romanian AKs are every bit as durable and reliable as any stamped-receiver AK Arsenal puts out, ugly and crude as they may be. The QC at the Cugir Factory has improved quite a bit. But Arsenal puts out guns with canted sight blocks just like Cugir. If it zeros, it’s within military specs. I will say it’s very amusing seeing Romanian AKs go from trashcan guns to being considered the best value on the market. Much of that has come from the WASR being vetted by reliable sources. It won’t resale for as much as an Arsenal, but it will run all the same.

It’s hard to give a fair equivalent because the AK market is so fucked up right now. In the days of Russsian imports the gold standard would have been the SGL, and the Vepr FM. Now they are fetching obscene prices because of the import sanctions. Arsenal of Bulgaria is well regarded, with the SLR series being king of the stamped receiver rifles, and the Sam7 series for the milled receivers. I’d say they would be the closest equivalent. They are civilian rifles built in a factory that also produces war rifles. So many of the older AKs have moved into collector status. The older Chinese and Hungarian AK’s are going for stupid money. Even the milled MAK-90s. Hell, even the stamped MAKs are pushing $8-850. The real fun is getting the equipment and learning to build yourself. Kits are drying up, but WBP in Poland and Cugir in Romania are still sending over new kits. The AK market is terrible unless you’re building.
With all that said, people have become hip to the fact that (in true AK fashion) the Romanian AKs are every bit as durable and reliable as any stamped-receiver AK Arsenal puts out, ugly and crude as they may be. The QC at the Cugir Factory has improved quite a bit. But Arsenal puts out guns with canted sight blocks just like Cugir. If it zeros, it’s within military specs. I will say it’s very amusing seeing Romanian AKs go from trashcan guns to being considered the best value on the market. Much of that has come from the WASR being vetted by reliable sources. It won’t resale for as much as an Arsenal, but it will run all the same.

:eek::eek::eek:

Alright, fuck it. I'm sticking with my Saiga 12 and VZ-58. Plus I'm close to completing a 762x39 AR build.

<13>

:eek::eek::eek:

Alright, fuck it. I'm sticking with my Saiga 12 and VZ-58. Plus I'm close to completing a 762x39 AR build.

<13>
VZ-58’s are fucking awesome! Saigas are too for that matter. I’m just not a huge fan of the semi-auto shotguns.

Back