Television Whats your favourite documentary?

tomjones

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I know most people like a good documentary, and that's reflected in the amount of documentaries shown on cable tv and streaming sites.

So what's your favourite ones?

719jj3jB2QS._SL1500_.jpg

My fav is probably my Mein Liebster Fiend, about the relationship between Werner Herzog and Klaus Kinski, who made several legendary films together. Kinski was a German-level madman but a really fascinating actor. I'm a big fan of films like Aguirre: The Wrath of God and Fitzcarraldo where Kinski starred and Herzog directed

Another really cool one on this same topic is Burden of Dreams, which is about the making of Fitzcarraldo. The central gimmick of which is dragging a steamboat over a hill in the middle of the Peruvian rainforest. They worked with local tribes and a funny story is that they were so shocked by Kinski's violent outbursts they offered to kill him for Herzog

Then on a similar line of making movies in difficult terrain and circumstances, Hearts of Darkness, about the making of Apocalypse Now

Last edited:
My fav is probably my Mein Liebster Fiend, about the relationship between Werner Herzog and Klaus Kinski, who made several legendary films together. Kinski was a German-level madman but a really fascinating actor. I'm a big fan of films like Aguirre: The Wrath of God and Fitzcarraldo where Kinski starred and Herzog directed

Another really cool one on this same topic is Burden of Dreams, which is about the making of Fitzcarraldo. The central gimmick of which is dragging a steamboat over a hill in the middle of the Peruvian rainforest. They worked with local tribes and a funny story is that they were so shocked by Kinski's violent outbursts they offered to kill him for Herzog

Then on a similar lines of making movies in difficult terrain and circumstances, Hearts of Darkness, about the making of Apocalypse Now

I've been meaning to watch Burden of Dreams for a while, especially after I've read some people suggest it's an even more fascinating watch than Fitzcarraldo

This has already been done before, but why not?

c7c3f61c5efaeb4b452a562eb9650d7c66e4919b3904b324e0e8b68e1de36497.jpg

I remember watching this on PBS as a kid. I loved that it was a true look into life as an athlete in the projects and how most never make it big. Even the schools that were "trying to help them out" were only in it to win games and make money. Once their usefulness was over, they were discarded for the next big thing.

Saw a good one the other day on Showtime about tennis player John McEnroe. He narrates most of it and really comes clean about himself, his past and what really motivated him. Highly recommended.

Murder on a Sunday Morning

Eron, The Smartest Guy In The Room

The PBS Front Line on the Waco massacre

There are a few that I really enjoyed. I remember a documentary about the Franklin expedition and the Everest search for Mallory and Irvine from 99. Another I like was about the Donner party. I believe all can be viewed online the last I checked.

Back