• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What's your favorite reality-based modern war film?

What's your favorite reality-based modern war film?

• Black Hawk Down

Votes: 41 46.1%
  • Hotel Rwanda

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • The Hurt Locker

Votes: 12 13.5%
  • Zero Dark Thirty

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Lone Survivor

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • 13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 8 9.0%
  • American Sniper

Votes: 9 10.1%
  • Jarhead

Votes: 5 5.6%

• Total voters
I'm not a huge fan of the modern war movies.

Toss up between Hurt Locker and BHD for me personally. I really liked the acting in Hurt Locker though. I wish Guy Pearce was in it longer.

voted for BlackHawk...tbh I wasnt a huge fan of some of those movies on that list

for anyone that hasnt seen it, there was a good TV show made about Afghanistan called Over There, it only ran for one season

voted for BlackHawk...tbh I wasnt a huge fan of some of those movies on that list

for anyone that hasnt seen it, there was a good TV show made about Afghanistan called Over There, it only ran for one season

That was Iraq iirc.

That's your mediocre opinion. Hotel Rwanda is the best of those, but not my fav.

Yeah I realized afterwards that I actually like that one as well. Sooooo besides those two, the rest are mediocre.

I don't like any of the movies in the OP -.- not a single one appealed to me.

I did really enjoy the series Generation Kill though, so I'm cheating and going with that.

Other than the officer's being a little unrealistically retarded in the movie, Generation Kill was pretty much identical to my experience in the Marine Corps.

BHD is one of the GOAT movies period end of story
Yeah, I voted for this one as well. The book is also good, but this is one of those rare films that's better than the book.

I voted BHD. It was incredibly entertaining, although there were some pretty unrealistic moments in there. It also hit on some important themes that really resonated with me.

If you're looking for realism, I thought that Generation Kill was the best example. The goofiness among the people within an organization, the stupidity of a higher headquarters, the strange priorities of senior leaders when a lot of complex stuff is going on around them, and the general haphazard approach to everything. A lot of personality types are well-represented in there as well.

If you thought American Sniper and Zero Dark Thirty were anything above mediocre, you'll probably like Hurt Locker.
I liked Hurt Locker. It was good and also above mediocre. Black Hawk Down is at least a 9/10 movie though, the best out of any of the modern war movies by far and of all time the only competition to it is Platoon and Saving Private Ryan.

The lack of Saving Private Ryan is baffling.

Hotel Rwanda was very, very good. But my pick is Hurt Locker. Renner was fantastic, the story was engrossing, and the film itself was incredible and the cast was incredible as a whole, Ralph Feinnes, Anthony Mackie, Guy Pearse, Evangeline Lilly, etc..

Saving Private Ryan

There can be only one.

American sniper did it for me. Loved it from start to finish

The lack of Saving Private Ryan is baffling.

Yeah, but if you noticed, the thread topic is about modern war.

While you could make the argument that WWII was the first modern war in the sense that the way it was fought at the tactical level still have relevancy and are broadly the same, all these movies are about events that took place in the past few decades.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wat
Back