What's wrong with my hand?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGambler13

Green Belt
Reaction score
I had an amateur MMA fight probably six weeks ago. I KO'd the guy, but my right hand was killing me. By the next morning it was blown up like a balloon. I went to the doctor who ordered me to get it X-rayed which came back negative. Here we are six weeks later my middle knuckle is still swollen. I cannot put any forward pressure on my fist. And it hurts to clinch it closed. Can anyone point to what might be wrong with it? Thanks in advance.

Go see a physiotherapist or a sports therapist. Six weeks is too long a time, have you been training with it?

I haven't done any contact training, primarily working on my kicking and grappling pretty carefully. I did ice it. I just got back from the doctor. I am on anti-inflammatories for two weeks and then I go back to see him.

Agreed bone bruise. You may wish that your hand had broken. It will take a while to heal but will be stronger for it. Just think of it as essential conditioning for your hands.

I think I have that too! My hand ballooned up and has been swollen on and off for 5-6 months. I had 2 fights in March and now my middle knucle is swollen and hurts to squeeze, I also got xrays and nothing popped up.. it's not the punching knuckle its the PIP joint (one knuckle up from your "main" knuckle).

I think I have that too! My hand ballooned up and has been swollen on and off for 5-6 months. I had 2 fights in March and now my middle knucle is swollen and hurts to squeeze, I also got xrays and nothing popped up.. it's not the punching knuckle its the PIP joint (one knuckle up from your "main" knuckle). If anything helps update your post because I wanna fix mine.

A bone bruise is an injury to a bone caused by a sudden jerk or fall, which harms the bone but does not fracture it. Bone bruises are visible in high-density MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging), but not simple X-rays. Depending on their severity, bone bruises can take months to heal. You need to treat a bone bruise with proper care and patience.

Good info on bone bruises here:

Cavaliers: Training Time: Bone Bruises

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back