What's up with non-Muslim/Caucasian Russians primarily being strikers?

I’ve always wondered with too because back in the Soviet Union days the a decent majority of wrestlers who medaled at the Olympics or World Championships were Slavs but now it seems the majority of wrestlers coming out of the Russian system are Caucasus peoples.
Yep. The most notorious Slavic Russian wrestler of the last decade is Roman Vlasov who is a 2-time Olympic champ in Greco, but he's already 33 and apparently isn't interested in MMA.

(freestyle) wrestling kind of died out in the ex-soviet bloc over the last few decades and just became a kavkaz thing (and increasingly, just a dagestani thing). I looked through the records and so far as I can tell only one ethnic Russian has ever won a medal in freestyle competing for Russia (they had good guys back in the Soviet era though). And that was a bronze, in the 1990s. If Dagestan wasn't part of Russia, Russia would be nobodies in wrestling today. And other eastern bloc countries are increasingly just Dagestani mercs wrestling for them at the world level too.

EuroRussians mostly seem to do sambo/judo, and Greco Roman is the most popular wrestling in central/eastern europe, but Greco is kind of a limited and sucky style by itself IMO. Some of those 'strikers' you mentioned to have some greco roots I believe (Pavlovich) but it doesn't seem to translate to being an 'MMA wrestler'. I guess the reason there have been less and less elite grapplers from that area outside Dagestan these days is because it's a damn tough lifestyle and most euro-russians & other slavs would just rather work normal jobs than be about that life (Fedor, the most famous sambo/judo guy, grew up in the impoverished 90s but since that era there don't seem to be many guys like that). 'murican collegate system seems quite unique in its ability to get ppl 'embracing the grind' of wrestling in an otherwise rich country.
Just wanted to show appreciation to you, giving an actual answer (as opposed to other guys that have nothing to say but just like being dicks).

If you where a basketball fan from outside of America you would be wondering why white guys don't play basketball.

Millions do. It's just...
And NHL hockey players are mostly, oh, well...

I mean, its same in usa. Top wrestlers there are Jones, Cormier, Kamaru Usman, Blayedes. And strikers are the rest, like Miocic, Anthony Smith, Luke Rockhold etc

If you put Aleksei Oleinik and Andy Wang in a lineup, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

when you can find pattern and preference in a culture like this where if you don't come from this area or this region you don't do certain things. this shows a highly controlled and weak populace. A region of followers. Of close minded individuals.

it also could be argued that striking requires the use of a different part of the brain to grappling. The part of the brain best used for grappling is stronger in poorer , working class communities or rural farm areas.
the part of the brain for striking you are going to find this more in northern European areas. Where the people look more alien than ape. Where they are more modern than cave like in appearance and bone structure.
see the thing is ufos are real. the government said so. Or did they? what else are they hiding? see what they did there? why did they do that is the question. Well for one I'd say its because you can't be 100% straight and be a good grappler. Its why some of the greats thought of grappling like you are trying to rape your opponent. sexual energy gives you a lot more strength and endurance. This is why many fighters actually have sex with each other to increase their endurance for a fight and to not deal out to much damage to their partners hole they know their training partners are conditioned to take it and hey listen if aliens are real. If the universe is this big and we are this small and insignificant then why is there any human death caused by war? why is there war? but a means of control and fear mongering. Let me tell you something- you're lucky dana white wasn't you're dad because he would be let down by you.
and let me tell you another thing not all russians are created equal. Not all people are in general. It is not okay to be " different" its HARDER its not okay. People are dull brained simple apes. We only have power through time and a collective. Where knowledge is built before a discovery can be made. If you aren't hot as fuck making snap and of money you are lousy is bed and a lameo. get with the times. If you buy feet pics it increases the market demand so then you can have more success buying your own feet pics.

when you can find pattern and preference in a culture like this where if you don't come from this area or this region you don't do certain things. this shows a highly controlled and weak populace. A region of followers. Of close minded individuals.

it also could be argued that striking requires the use of a different part of the brain to grappling. The part of the brain best used for grappling is stronger in poorer , working class communities or rural farm areas.
the part of the brain for striking you are going to find this more in northern European areas. Where the people look more alien than ape. Where they are more modern than cave like in appearance and bone structure.
see the thing is ufos are real. the government said so. Or did they? what else are they hiding? see what they did there? why did they do that is the question. Well for one I'd say its because you can't be 100% straight and be a good grappler. Its why some of the greats thought of grappling like you are trying to rape your opponent. sexual energy gives you a lot more strength and endurance. This is why many fighters actually have sex with each other to increase their endurance for a fight and to not deal out to much damage to their partners hole they know their training partners are conditioned to take it and hey listen if aliens are real. If the universe is this big and we are this small and insignificant then why is there any human death caused by war? why is there war? but a means of control and fear mongering. Let me tell you something- you're lucky dana white wasn't you're dad because he would be let down by you.
and let me tell you another thing not all russians are created equal. Not all people are in general. It is not okay to be " different" its HARDER its not okay. People are dull brained simple apes. We only have power through time and a collective. Where knowledge is built before a discovery can be made. If you aren't hot as fuck making snap and of money you are lousy is bed and a lameo. get with the times. If you buy feet pics it increases the market demand so then you can have more success buying your own feet pics.

oppenheimer-it-all-makes-sense-now.gif

Not sure what s the worst part. That post or the fact that it got a like.

(freestyle) wrestling kind of died out in the ex-soviet bloc over the last few decades and just became a kavkaz thing (and increasingly, just a dagestani thing). I looked through the records and so far as I can tell only one ethnic Russian has ever won a medal in freestyle competing for Russia (they had good guys back in the Soviet era though). And that was a bronze, in the 1990s. If Dagestan wasn't part of Russia, Russia would be nobodies in wrestling today. And other eastern bloc countries are increasingly just Dagestani mercs wrestling for them at the world level too.

EuroRussians mostly seem to do sambo/judo, and Greco Roman is the most popular wrestling in central/eastern europe, but Greco is kind of a limited and sucky style by itself IMO. Some of those 'strikers' you mentioned to have some greco roots I believe (Pavlovich) but it doesn't seem to translate to being an 'MMA wrestler'. I guess the reason there have been less and less elite grapplers from that area outside Dagestan these days is because it's a damn tough lifestyle and most euro-russians & other slavs would just rather work normal jobs than be about that life (Fedor, the most famous sambo/judo guy, grew up in the impoverished 90s but since that era there don't seem to be many guys like that). 'murican collegate system seems quite unique in its ability to get ppl 'embracing the grind' of wrestling in an otherwise rich country.
There are also more North Caucasians that Slavs in judo. Not that many Dagestanis but Chechens, Ingush, Ossetians and I think Kabardians/Cherkess.

Then sorry to be that guy but Artur Beterbiev is a Chechen born in Dagestan and I think is currently the most decorated pro-boxer. He also trains out of GOAT province Québec.

EDIT: just wanted to add that other Caucasian nations like Georgia and Azerbaidjian also perform better than any Slavic country in judo and I think so do the central asian Stans all the way to Mongolia which is a judo powerhouse.

Don‘t quote me on that but I think Armenia is pretty decent in judo. All this to say that all the non-Slavic people from Georgia all the way to Mongolia, typically do better in freestyle and judo than Russia or any slavic country I think. Also pretty decent in greco. Evloev‘s cousin is an Ingush gold medalist in Greco at the olympic games.

Last edited:
Chechens & Dagis dominate the wrestling world, but have a poor showing in boxing. Russians are more interested in boxing, for whatever reason.

A part of this is due to observer bias, but there is some truth to it.

In short I would put it this way. There a non-Dagestani Russian fighters with grappling far above average. But what you don't really see are Dagestanis who can't grapple.
That's the tipping point here. If you start combat sports in Dagestan, it's wrestling or sambo. And most start as young kids. Even the ones who have an affinity towards the striking arts know how to grapple.

Bo Nickal coming to your house right now OP.

Ben Asscream is driving him.

Mohammed was allegedly a good wrestler if you are looking for a religion based answer.

Well, Fedor was obviously extremely well-rounded, but even he seemed to abandon his grappling after his PRIDE stint. He was swanging and banging for three rounds with Fabio Maldonado of all people, despite getting knocked down in the 1st. It's kinda hard to see someone like Islam going that route in his late 30s, despite him being a very proficient striker. Might be a HW thing though.
Maybe that has to do with injuries,and not cos hes some idiot that doesnt like winning?

Back