• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What's up with Gustafsson not getting his dues???

Dude looked very, very hittable last night. Great win, but he exposes himself to too much damage and gets sloppy.

I kind of like that he isn't getting as much credit or hype. He's still a sleeper to alot of people and may surprise us all.

I had it 2-1 Gus ... but I wasn't in awe of him I'll have to watch the fight again. I felt If shogun would've had a better 3rd round that he could have possibly won a decision.

Shogun fan here, giving him his dues. Gus showed a pretty good beard and some wrestling last night, nice fight.

Seems like an awkward rangy gangly guy and wins via that unusual gangliness. :icon_lol:

Should be no problem for Jones, but I can see it presenting a problem for other LHWs.

Jardine had a bit of that awkward style too. Some fighters weren't quite sure of how to fight him, because of it.

Gus did great against a name opponent who is still among the top 5 LHWs. So full credit for the win last night.

That being said - he's not ready for Jon Jones. Gus needs to put on some muscle - or he'll get ragdolled by Jones. Just my opinion, and I'd like nothing more than for Gus to go in and beat Jones - but based on what I've seen, I don't see it happening. Yet.

Absolutely. Chael has no chance at beating Jones, he's not a finisher and has no KO power with very limited Jiu-Jitsu (offensively and defensively). Chael is also a much smaller guy where Alex is a larger guy than Silva in comparison. Alex has a realistic chance at beating both Silva and Jones, regardless of the detractors stating the "he'll get killed" shit (heard it too many times now and they've been dead wrong). Alex will just continue to improve in all aspects, the sky is the limit for him. While he could've done so much better, he did enough and is now on a 6 fight win streak in the division. He won't wait around for a supposed title shot so he'll likely be training to fight the winner or loser of Henderson vs Lyoto next (or he'll replace Hendo if his MCL causes him to pull out again). If Vitor Belfort nearly submitted Jones then Gustafsson certainly has a realistic chance at beating him wherever the fight goes. Alex has already shown he can negate over 80" reaches before (81.5" in this case) with far superior strikers than Jones (Diabate for example). The reach of Jones won't be a problem and the wrestling of Jones won't be AS big of a problem as most believe IMO. Gustafsson is a threat to anybody because of all the skill and physical attributes and athletic gifts he has going for him (speed, power, reflexes, strength, chin, size etc).

Agreed. Gus' wrestling has improved immensely, and I'm not as worried about Jones wrestling in that fight anymore.

I liked what Gus was doing with knees. He caught shogun with that straight knee from across the octagon a couple times.

He looked good against Shogun and I like him but it's clear that he has nothing for Jones. Jones is going to walk through him, let's not kid ourselves.

YES, Shogun DID land a few bombs and almost ("") had a leg lock, but Alex easily won all three rounds convincingly and bullied him without looking anywhere near his best. Shogun was in great shape for a change but just couldn't handle the brute power. And seriously, who else other than Jones has manhandled him like that? Hendo? NO. Machida? Lol!

So isn't it about time some of you gave Alex his dues ffs? Just a little? The minimum amount? Because whether you like it or not he's on a very short list of guys who's started their careers as strong as him.

First 16 wins

Shogun - 16-2, 14 wins by stoppage.

Jones - 16-1, 13 wins by stoppage.

Gustafsson - 16-1, 13 wins by stoppage. (edit: should be 15-1 and 12 by stoppage. My bad)

Rampage - 16-3, 13 wins by stoppage.

Liddell - 16-2, 10 wins by stoppage.

Hendo - 16-3, 8 wins by stoppage.

Rashad - 16-1-1, 8 wins by stoppage.

Machida - 16-2, 7 wins by stoppage.

Just.

Stop.

Being.

Douchebags.

Give.

The man.

His.

Dues.

That is all...

Shogun is clearly not as quick or agile as he once was, nor the effective kicker that he once was, all due to his knees being shot. To deny this is lunacy. HOWEVER, Shogun's skill, chin, heart, and power still make him an extremely dangerous opponent and a very good win for Gus.

That said, if you don't want to hear any excuses, don't make any. You get mad at Shogun fans for saying he doesn't look his best after 3 KNEE SURGERIES. But then you and several other Gus fans have talked about how Gus didn't look his best, and he doesn't even have any documented serious injuries for you to objectively state that his performance was hampered.

People always do this. They claim they don't want to hear any excuses for the other guy, and then proceed to make excuses for their guy. Based on what we saw last night, Gus is a better fighter than Shogun by a decent margin. That's it.

And yes, Hendo beat Shogun badly until Hendo's cardio failed him, like it always does.

Almost completely agree OP, but Hendos 3 rounds against Shogun were way more dominant than Gus

...and faded insanely hard in the ME rounds. It takes a special kind of cardio to be outcardioed by Shogun.

Hendos was spent trying to finish a Shogun than was on verge of defeat, Gus didn't get close to a stoppage

Great OP. It really shows how champions are marked by domination at the lower levels as they ascend to championship status where they predictably stagnate in finishing rate due to perpetually fighting Top 5 competition.

Shogun made that fight game and hurt Gus a lot more than he should have.

Gus wouldn't last more than 3 rounds against Jones.

Shogun took Gus down in the first round, imagine what Jones does.

Shogun did a lot damage while he was really slow and plodding forward , Jones speed and quickness is on a another level.

Last edited:
Gus only wins because of size. He's so much taller with so much longer reach. He should be fighting at HW. Anyone see what I did there?

Yes i do lol. It's funny how no one talks about Gus size though. He was a giant compared to Shogun in that fight. When Jones beat Shogun that's all people talked about was how much bigger Jones was than Shogun.

Hell that's all people talk about now is Jone's size/reach. Yet people aren't talking about Gus's size at all and he's actually bigger than Jones and Gus is pudgy at 205 where Jones is ripped and people say he should be fighting at HW what a laugh. If anyone should be fighting at HW it's Gus since he does not even look in top shape at 205.

All im saying is people bash Jones to no end about his supposed enormous size advantage over the 205 division and yet Gus, who is actually BIGGER than Jones, gets no grief at all for his size advantages.

More mma fanbase bias and double standard fuckery at work.

Back