What's up with all the Groundhog Day rip-offs lately?

SSgt Dickweed

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
So the Tom Cruise sci-fi/action movie Edge of Tomorrow was a live action movie of an Anime based on Groundhog day. Ok.

Then I saw a trailer for the exact premise of Groundhog's day starring a Wayans brother but this time is a comedy. Something about him waking up everyday to his wedding day but he's unprepared.

Now, while in the cinema watching the trailers of another Tom Cruise movie, American made, I watched another trailer of the exact same premise except this time it's a horror/thriller. It's about a girl waking up on her birthday just to be murdered again and again until she discovers how not to be. How original.

giphy.gif

I'd post the trailer but who cares?

So the Tom Cruise sci-fi/action movie Edge of Tomorrow was a live action movie of an Anime based on Groundhog day. Ok.

Then I saw a trailer for the exact premise of Groundhog's day starring a Wayans brother but this time is a comedy. Something about him waking up everyday to his wedding day but he's unprepared.

Now, while in the cinema watching the trailers of another Tom Cruise movie, American made, I watched another trailer of the exact same premise except this time it's a horror/thriller. It's about a girl waking up on her birthday just to be murdered again and again until she discovers how not to be. How original.

giphy.gif

I'd post the trailer but who cares?

In all fairness, Edge of Tomorrow was a completely different movie.

It's like what do you call it?

Groundpig day?

A person reliving the same day over & over again wasn't invented by Groundhog Day, though that movie is a bona fide classic. It's been done a bunch. The earliest 'time loop' story I know of is a short story by Malcolm Jameson called Doubled and Redoubled, which was published in the early 1940s. And I wouldn't be surprised if that isn't the first one either.

http://www.unz.org/Pub/Unknown-1941feb-00087

fuck you guys I'm no groundhog expert.

Comparing Edge of Tomorrow to Groundhog Day is a bit of a stretch, IMO

A time loop short film, starring Clarence Boddicker?

Thanks, I am so watching this later.

giphy.gif

What, you don't think of him as "the dance choreographer from the start of Staying Alive?"

What, you don't think of him as "the dance choreographer from the start of Staying Alive?"

As a trade, in case you (or anyone else out there in sherland) haven't already seen it, check out this awesome short film / prime Gary Oldman performance almost no one knows about

The horror movie concept was already done as well in a mid-2000's film called Salvage. Had an almost found footage feel to it despite not being a found footage film (due to being shot on early 2000's digital cameras), the twist was pretty solid.

I think it's in response to the critical and financial success of Edge of Tomorrow that is prompting more of these Groundhog Day movies.

The new horror movie doing it looks interesting but will probably turn out bad

I think it is actually a good twist on groundhog day and has the potential to do some really interesting things. Hope it doesn't suck.

Edge of Tomorrow was fucking great.

I like the concept of reliving the same day over and over and I'm down with seeing more takes on it, from comedy to horror.

about a girl waking up on her birthday just to be murdered again and again until she discovers how not to be.

Saw this preview the other day, GHD was the first thing I thought of too. Obvious rip off.

Back