What's the name of this technique?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by JarMan, Jan 8, 2013.

1. JarMan

JarMan Orange Belt

Recently I started playing with the guard where you hug the knee and use your shin as a hook under their shin. I'm a deep half guard player so this feels like a natural extension. I'm looking for some videos but I'm not sure what it's called.

2. portland

portland Green Belt

Your explanation is a little vague but my best guess is x guard

3. JarMan

JarMan Orange Belt

It's not x-guard. I'll try to explain in more detail. If my opponent is standing in my open guard, I wrap my right arm behind his left knee and grab my own lapel. With my right shin I make a hook on his left shin. Then I pull my opponent toward me as I roll to my back so I am supporting his weight with his knee on my abdomen and his shin on my shin. I'm hugging his knee at this point. It's a good way to keep your opponent off-balance but I'm looking for some good sweeps from here. My instructor showed a couple and I'm trying to find some additional options.

4. Mat

Mat Orange Belt

This sounds like xguard/modified xguard.

5. portland

portland Green Belt

z guard?

6. LRjiujitsu

LRjiujitsu Blue Belt

i know what you mean. its kinda like a sit up. koala guard? but with your outside shin on their shin. i guess its just called shin to shin guard or something. i havent seen many people play it

7. JarMan

JarMan Orange Belt

It's kind of like that. Except instead of staying sitting up, you pull roll back to your back and pull them with you. It almost looks like your opponent tried a knee slide pass except your opponent's leg is not pinning yours to the mat. Instead you control his leg by butterfly hooking at the shin with your outside foot and hugging the knee to your chest. And you'll be on your back instead of your side.

8. Shemhazai

Shemhazai Black Belt

It's called shin to shin or instep butterfly guard. It's a great way to set up 1LXG and leg locks, as well as deep half, and if you can control the far sleeve or ankle, you can do some modified hook sweeps from it.

9. YellowFury

YellowFury Blue Belt

i'm glad someone said sit up guard. i was trying to imagine grabbing your collar with your right hand and blocking their left shin with your right shin while on your back in the x-guard position. i was about to ask if TS was gumby

10. LRjiujitsu

LRjiujitsu Blue Belt

Ah yeah , i know exactly what you mean then. I use it. but i wouldnt fall to my back. u either want to post your free hand and scoot out to the outside while lifting your hook and pinching your knees together (should hurt their shin alot) then come up for a single... or spin under all the way inbetween their legs and come out on top.

11. Hendo89

Hendo89 Purple Belt

Single leg X?

12. Ice 9 Cobra

Ice 9 Cobra Black Belt

I think you're talking about deep half with a hook.

13. Shemhazai

Shemhazai Black Belt

14. JarMan

JarMan Orange Belt

I think you're talking about this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H65dpQmleHo

This is really close to what I'm talking about. But my instructor showed rolling straight to your back instead of to your side.

15. JarMan

JarMan Orange Belt

Those two names make sense. I'll search on them and see if I can find anything. Thanks.