What's the logic behind a fighter losing in a weight class, then stepping up to higher weight class?

dragonclaw

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
This is obviously referring to Luke Rockhold.

He can't take the shots at 185, even when getting hit by a fighter known for being somewhat pillow-fisted like Bisping, but thinks he can step up a weight class and take shots from fighters that hit even harder.

And yes, the bigger they are the heavier they hit. And no, being heavier doesn't mean having a better chin.

I don't understand. It goes against everything I train at my underground dojo.

Doesn't like the weight cut

He can't take the shots at 185, even when getting hit by a fighter known for being somewhat pillow-fisted like Bisping, but thinks he can step up a weight class and take shots from fighters that hit even harder.

And yes, the bigger they are the heavier they hit. And no, being heavier doesn't mean having a better chin.

Because cutting massive amounts of weight is directly proportional to how much of a shot you can take. When you brain is essentially dehydrated you get shut off much easier. Look at guys like Tim means, Brazilian Cowboy, and the MW champ as examples of what can happen once you stop dehydrating yourself.

weight cut does affect your chin...

less weight cut might increase your hability to take a shot. maybe not so significantly to the point it is a bigger factor than getting hit by stronger people, but theres that...

The weight cut drains them too much so they can't perform at their ability.

People like Robert Whittaker, Kelvin Gastelum etc are great examples of it being a smart idea.

They fight for a living.

Weaker competition first off. Also The fighters at your underground dojo should definitely understand how weight cutting effects athletic performance. And as for the chin, it’s not the heavier weight that makes the chin better, it’s the hydration around the brain or something like that. I believe it’s been demonstrated that dehydration makes you more prone to being knocked unconscious.

Lukes a former champion. Logic is he could earn a title shot in 1 or 2 wins against fresh opposition. Pulling it off however is another matter entitely. This is usually a desperation move. Certainly in this case...but not always

Ask Robert whitaker
Or Frankie Edgar who preferred fighting bigger opponents at Lightweight so he didn't have to cut weight.
Or RDA who was fainting the night before his fight against Alvarez, moved up to Welterweight and is looking sensational thus far (looked awesome against Lawler).
Or Randy Couture who got knocked out against Liddell, retired, then came back and won the Heavyweight title off Sylvia.
Or BJ Penn whose all over the spectrum and fought in five different weight classes with varying levels of success (Hughes, GSP, Rodrigo Gracie, Lyoto Machida, Jon Fitch, Nick Diaz, Rory MacDonald).

Some guys *are* better a division up. They're just losing too much stamina and explosiveness for the size difference to be worth it.

Or Frankie Edgar who preferred fighting bigger opponents at Lightweight so he didn't have to cut weight.
Or RDA who was fainting the night before his fight against Alvarez, moved up to Welterweight and is looking sensational thus far (looked awesome against Lawler).
Or Randy Couture who got knocked out against Liddell, retired, then came back and won the Heavyweight title off Sylvia.
Or BJ Penn whose all over the spectrum and fought in five different weight classes with varying levels of success (Hughes, GSP, Rodrigo Gracie, Lyoto Machida, Jon Fitch, Nick Diaz, Rory MacDonald).
solid answer. and you forgot Hendo ;)

At first I was gonna write "less cutting means more hydration which means better chin"

But now that I think about it, you got a point. Either Rockhold cuts to 185 and gets KTFO from dehydration or he moves up to 205 and gets KTFO by a Rumble or Gus.

I guess facing a bigger opponent while being healthy is worth the risk.

When Randy went back to HW to fight Sylvia he said it was easier for him because the LHW were much faster.

Multiple reasons. Significantly less weight cut which could improve their performance and training, possible speed advantage, etc. It's quite obvious how many successful fighters went up a weight class and did well. I think Rockhold has the size to do well in LHW and has the potential to be in the top 5.

whats the logic in starting a thread on sherdog when you are a fucking idiot that doesn't comprehend the problems with cutting a lot of weight?

Maybe if he doesn’t have to worry about cutting an extra 20 lbs, he can dedicate more time to training to fix some of his technical deficiencies.

Back