What's the best online BJJ site?

Thanks. But not interested in the style of guys like the Mendes, Caio Terra, Keenan etc.

Reason I was thinking of Saulo's and Xande's site. Galvao also has a good solid mix of new and old school. But are the videos on Saulo's and Galvao's just videos of isolated techniques? This I can watch for free on youtube. One thing I seem to remember about MGA from when I tried it was that you could even watch a full whole class without cuts if you wanted. But Marcelo's style is also not for me. Reason I didn't stay with MGA.

mendes bros, without a doubt.

BTW I did a seminar with Rafa this past weekend and he said that they are launching a new version of the website in a couple of months. I thought as a web design guy that you'd appreciate that. he said their Webmaster was too slow and made some mistakes, and that the new site would be a lot easier to search, and that it might even have tags like InAction sites do.

One thing I seem to remember about MGA from when I tried it was that you could even watch a full whole class without cuts if you wanted. But Marcelo's style is also not for me. Reason I didn't stay with MGA.

Yeah they don't upload the parts of class where the students are drilling the moves with each other. They just upload the parts where Marcelo is teaching the class. But they also upload Marcelo's rolls with his students, and there's a huge tab for "discussions" where students talk with him about various techniques before/during/after class. There are topics from a specific grip on the guillotine to training strategy and mentality. Even funny stories. There are 265 of those as of today.

Honestly EstimaInAction is probably my favorite site, but it's just lower on content since it's only been out for about a year. But you get 2-3 intructionals 6 days a week, and 1 sparring video 6 days a week. So the content piles up really fast, and it's from the same people that did the MGinaction site. Cobrinha's I've also heard you can try free for 24 hours without having your card charged at the end.

Thanks. But not interested in the style of guys like the Mendes, Caio Terra, Keenan etc.

Reason I was thinking of Saulo's and Xande's site. Galvao also has a good solid mix of new and old school. But are the videos on Saulo's and Galvao's just videos of isolated techniques? This I can watch for free on youtube. One thing I seem to remember about MGA from when I tried it was that you could even watch a full whole class without cuts if you wanted. But Marcelo's style is also not for me. Reason I didn't stay with MGA.

Are you looking for a full curriculum? Draculino's or Gracie Combatives are probably best for that.

Galvao's shows progressions of moves from any position but they don't have a curriculum. I would think it's meant to be used as a supplement to an academy curriculum, that's how i've used it. Almost all of the technique on there is not available on YouTube.

BTW I did a seminar with Rafa this past weekend and he said that they are launching a new version of the website in a couple of months. I thought as a web design guy that you'd appreciate that. he said their Webmaster was too slow and made some mistakes, and that the new site would be a lot easier to search, and that it might even have tags like InAction sites do.

That's great news thanks for sharing! How was the seminar?

+1 vote for mendesbros online . estimaonline is very nice also, especially if you play closed guard. I also like Caio Terra's - sometimes it's awesome and sometimes less so, but there's so many "pretty good" sites out there that you need to be awesome (at least part of the time) to stand out to me.

That's great news thanks for sharing! How was the seminar?

+1 vote for mendesbros online . estimaonline is very nice also, especially if you play closed guard. I also like Caio Terra's - sometimes it's awesome and sometimes less so, but there's so many "pretty good" sites out there that you need to be awesome (at least part of the time) to stand out to me.

Seminar was great. I only got to do one day out of the two days, and I've done a couple seminars with Rafa and Rafa & Gui before. This one we did stuff that I hadn't done with them before, so it was nice. Got to roll and do a 30 minute Q&A at the end. I don't go to many seminars anymore, but this one was fun, and it was back home so I got to see family and some old friends.

There are just so many sites man. I forgot Caio Terra had one also. As far as Estima, I think it's maybe the most balanced. Mendes and Marcelo's sites are great for their game, but on Braulio's I think you really do get a bit of everything. Great blend if "old school" and "modern" Jiu-Jitsu. I see him teach a lot of stuff I've never even seen him do in competition, which is rare for a lot of these training sites. I think he has the most variety of styles and techniques of any of the websites.

Also, Braulio by far has the best info of any online site on on foot locks of all kinds, including heel hooks.

Not saying it's the best, but just keep in mind that these InAction sites will give you a 1 week free trial. So if you haven't checked EIA, it's worth a trial run.

Overall, i'd say Mendes but Caio's is really slept on.

I really like Mendes Bros, but Caio's is awesome too. Videos grouped together and easy to find, commentated rolling, training camp videos.

One thing I like about his site too is that he has a lot of guest instruction. So maybe you don't want to play all of Caios game. Yuri Simoes has a whole series on heavy, crash-passing, Tanner Rice with some unique open guard, Marcio Andre with some passing, Leandro Lo instruction. It is a great site IMO

I like estimas because he shows tozi passing. And as we all know tozi passing is objectively the greatest no GI passing method of all time.

I really like Mendes Bros, but Caio's is awesome too. Videos grouped together and easy to find, commentated rolling, training camp videos.

One thing I like about his site too is that he has a lot of guest instruction. So maybe you don't want to play all of Caios game. Yuri Simoes has a whole series on heavy, crash-passing, Tanner Rice with some unique open guard, Marcio Andre with some passing, Leandro Lo instruction. It is a great site IMO

All the rolls have commentary? That's awesome. Any nogi, or not really?

Damn. More people should do commentary. I remember Ryan Hall back in the late 00's having commentary on his matches before he was a black belt. It was cool and helpful to hear what someone's thought process was, and you can even see things you wouldn't have noticed otherwise.

Marcelo Garcia dropped a best of MGinaction dvd and they had commentary from Marcelo, Paul Schreiner, and some others. It was really cool. That should definitely be more common on these websites.

I can see why they don't. These ppl are busy as shit and they're already giving out levels of content that would be unthinkable 10 years ago. I doubt they have the time or the desire to sit down and record commentary on top of everything else that they have to do.

The most surprising thing about Caio's to me was how well he explained techniques that you wouldn't think was his "game". I play alot of x-guard/single leg x-guard and his details were the best i've seen on the position.Everyone else seems to pretty much share the same details over and over,but he had some really cool details that I hadn't seen before.This was surprising because I didn't really associate Caio with those positions.

The technology of mga is the best, due in part to Josh waitzkin. But like many others, I struggle to implement his game and have more success with other styles. I like bjjlibrary for that reason, and I love their seminar series with beasts like Milton vieiria. For me a bjjlibrary site built with mga tech would be ideal.

The technology of mga is the best, due in part to Josh waitzkin. But like many others, I struggle to implement his game and have more success with other styles. I like bjjlibrary for that reason, and I love their seminar series with beasts like Milton vieiria. For me a bjjlibrary site built with mga tech would be ideal.

Does BJJLibrary have a free trial? I remember hearing alot about it,then it kind of trailed off.

Damn. More people should do commentary. I remember Ryan Hall back in the late 00's having commentary on his matches before he was a black belt. It was cool and helpful to hear what someone's thought process was, and you can even see things you wouldn't have noticed otherwise.

Marcelo Garcia dropped a best of MGinaction dvd and they had commentary from Marcelo, Paul Schreiner, and some others. It was really cool. That should definitely be more common on these websites.

I can see why they don't. These ppl are busy as shit and they're already giving out levels of content that would be unthinkable 10 years ago. I doubt they have the time or the desire to sit down and record commentary on top of everything else that they have to do.

Not all the rolls, but at least 50% or more of them do have it.

The most surprising thing about Caio's to me was how well he explained techniques that you wouldn't think was his "game". I play alot of x-guard/single leg x-guard and his details were the best i've seen on the position.Everyone else seems to pretty much share the same details over and over,but he had some really cool details that I hadn't seen before.This was surprising because I didn't really associate Caio with those positions.

Exactly, his site has a lot of great stuff for all shape, sizes and positional preferences.

Exactly, his site has a lot of great stuff for all shapes, sizes and positional preferences.

I'm trying really hard not to say it...

4614585718_31313e1dd6-300x168.jpg

I'd say that depends on the kind of game you want to try and develop. EstimaInAction, MarceloInAction, Mendes bros, Keenan's site, BJJLibrary, all have quality stuff.
Does BJJLibrary have a free trial? I remember hearing alot about it,then it kind of trailed off.
Yeah, they give you two free weeks before you pay IIRC. It's either one week or two, I forget.

It's an awesome site. They've been around for years so there's a TON of material on there. Coolest part is probably the free guest seminars from dudes like Fabio Santos, Dean Lister, Jackson Souza, etc.

yeah it's really nice on Caio's site (the roll commentary). But on the downside, Caio doesn't have as many rolls as Braulio, Marcelo, or even the Mendesbros.

I like bjjlibrary too, but after havnig it for a number of months, the techniques themselves (in general) are not as useful to me. I don't know if the techniques themselves are less effective, or they are not effective for me.

Back