Whats Mcgregor's style? Karate stance/Slow plod but with Anderson's MT

ackileez

ANALINGUSing a PAWG
@Green
Reaction score
Like the title says...

He has the karate straight stance...Plods forward slowly with hands out, like DIAZ,
and he just times his strikes like Classic Anderson.

What's his fight background?

I now believe the hype, minus the Top wrestler argument and yes..aldo and him will be LEGENDARY.

Primarily boxing, he was an international amateur, he's developing excellent Taekwondo, but his angels and feints and penetration is all boxing.

Anyone who throws a kick = Muay Thai to Joe Rogan.

Guy's an absolute hack.

He was a boxer who started training karate with Gunnar Nelson.

According to WIKI

Boxing is original discipline.

Tae Kwon Do, Karate, Capoeira, and Kickboxing are the others.

Explains his legs/stance and his odd advancment ala capoeira

Anyone who throws a kick = Muay Thai to Joe Rogan.

I'm not buying it.

According to wikipedia: "Rogan was a practitioner of Taekwondo and gained a black belt at age 15. He soon became the Massachusetts full contact Tae Kwon Do champion four consecutive years. By the age of 19, Rogan won the US Open Tae Kwon Do Championship and, as lightweight champion, went on to beat both the middle and heavyweight title-holders to obtain the Grand Championship."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Rogan

But he thinks all kicks are Muay Thai? Lol.

Conor is a boxer who started training Karate with Gunnar Nelson in terms of his standup.

I'm not buying it.

According to wikipedia: "Rogan was a practitioner of Taekwondo and gained a black belt at age 15. He soon became the Massachusetts full contact Tae Kwon Do champion four consecutive years. By the age of 19, Rogan won the US Open Tae Kwon Do Championship and, as lightweight champion, went on to beat both the middle and heavyweight title-holders to obtain the Grand Championship."

What a hack

I'm not buying it.

I'm aware of his background (something even he downplayed for a long time before a few with a similar background started having success in MMA) but it doesn't make him any less of a hack when it comes to actual analysis.

McGregor is one of the very last fighters that you'd classify as being influenced by Muay Thai, and yet Rogan cited it as being such for some odd reason.

Conor is constantly sliding into position with these 'flashy kicks'. Then he lets his boxing do the real work. I think it's just a really clever way of throwing people off so he can gauge the distance better and have his opponent worried they're gonna be the first sucker to be knocked out with some outrageous capoeira kick, when really, he's just waiting for the right time to hit some good uppercuts, straights and hooks when your hands lower enough.

I think he legitimately wants one of these kicks to finish a fight one of these days, though, and is clearly working a lot on them. But in a strange way, testing them out in the octagon has only helped him even though none of them have worked. He is effectively making his opponents go into "lame duck" mode cause they can't figure out what the fuck he's doing in there, and then all of a sudden Conor says fuck it and cuts loose with the boxing. Either that is his unique strategy or it's just fools luck that it works out so well for him.

Like the title says...

He has the karate straight stance...Plods forward slowly with hands out, like DIAZ,
and he just times his strikes like Classic Anderson.

What's his fight background?

I now believe the hype, minus the Top wrestler argument and yes..aldo and him will be LEGENDARY.

Like others have said, he is an amateur boxer and American style kickboxer but was taught Karate by Gunnar and since last year has been training in Taekwondo. According to his coach, he also paid some Caporeio guys to show him some kicks. No Muay Thai training to speak of.

Back