• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What's it like at a Gracie academy?

That's odd how you guys have different experiences.

It the place I trained at it was done in the gi and blue blue belts would wear boxing gloves and throw punches while the white belt partner was supposed to clinch and takedown. It wasa recipe for the white belt to get beat up.

I made the head instructor mad one time because I decided to use a judo throw rather than the dumb clinch and takedown they showed.

What was odd is they offered judo class there too. But the BJJ owner had a rough relationship with the judo coach whom ultimately left.

Fight Sim class = vale tudo/mma sparring for blue belts.

Reflex Development class = drilling with resistance where partner is wearing 18 oz gloves are used if the technique requires it.

Plus like affiliates for any organization, each school is its own business under the orgs umbrella. Individual schools will have variance.

This thread is painful. Cardkid, go take a free class at their academy and see for yourself. All the answers you're demanding don't exist. Each academy is different and each academy changes over time. Nothing we can tell you will influence how well you fit at a certain school, so stop being a dipshit and go find out for yourself.

Back