What's going on with this revitalized GSP v. Anderson fan war?

Which nut you hugging?

• Total voters
Is it harder tho? Seems like it is easier to go up from your regular weight class and become champ than to try and squeeze into a smaller one.

BJ moved up to WW and became champ.

Conor moved up to LW and became champ.

Whittaker and GSP moved up from WW and became champ.

How many guys went down and became champ?
Randy?
Lawler? He never really belonged at MW in the first place.

That's all I can think of. TJ failed. Edgar failed. Machida failed. Plenty of other non champs tried and failed to make waves in the weight class below. If it is such easy cherry picking as you say you'd think there would be more guys doing it right?

When was this?

{<huh}

Some context is needed.

Penn never beat another person at 170.

Conor didn't actually deserve the title shot he got, barely beat the almighty Nate Diaz after losing to him.

Whitaker beat a lot of the smallest MW's and his Romero win was super controversial. GSP and Whitaker won their belts at a time when the division might as well have been having a joint retirement party. '

I think your logic mainly starts at 185 and up cause that's when people's height and reach more or less starts being the same regardless of weight.

<{fry}>
are you trolling or serious, i can't tell...

each fighter has a different prime, you could easily argue that DC is not in his prime atm which makes his performances against Stipe and Lewis even more impressive. i don't understand what DC's fights at 38/39 have to do with GSP, they are both different fighters and their bodies are very different.

If you are seriously trying to tell me that the GSP that fought Bisping is in the same shape he was in 2007-2012, then you're just dumb. Don't know what else to say to you.

Cause you mentioned GSP being washed up at 37? GSP has fought once since 2013. Look at the top MW's except the UFC 134 ones and GSP would actually be a surge of youth.

Cause you mentioned GSP being washed up at 37? GSP has fought once since 2013. Look at the top MW's except the UFC 134 ones and GSP would actually be a surge of youth.
I said he's past his prime, dumbass lol. That's not the same as 'washed up'.

Some context is needed.

Penn never beat another person at 170.

Conor didn't actually deserve the title shot he got, barely beat the almighty Nate Diaz after losing to him.

Whitaker beat a lot of the smallest MW's and his Romero win was super controversial. GSP and Whitaker won their belts at a time when the division might as well have been having a joint retirement party. '

I think your logic mainly starts at 185 and up cause that's when people's height and reach more or less starts being the same regardless of weight.

Penn and Conor were still good enough beat the champ to become the champ. That is all that matters in the end.

Whitaker beat a lot of the smallest MW's

Like who? Yoel? Jacare? Brunson? Hall? Tavares? Hester? Those guys are all big physical MWs.

Whittaker was on a 6 fight win streak going into a fight with Yoel fuckin Romero, a guy who has basically slaughtered everyone in his path in the UFC. Robert beat both Romer and Jacare, two guys who were supposed to be the uncrowned champs. What does this welterweight reject have to do to earn your hespect at MW?

I do agree that the size difference become a lot less important at MW and above. Hence GSP fighting Khabib is about a million times more impressive than anything Anderson ever did at LHW, and obviously not at all cherry picking, but a very very difficult task.

Team Anderson all the way

44 year old Silva is still having competitive fights against young/top ranked killers while 37 year old GSP is cherry picking LWs and ducking fights.

Because its all about who is the deputy GOAT!
GOAT = 265lbs - 185lbs = Fedor (maybe Jones by end of career)
Deputy GOAT = 185lbs - 145lbs = GSP
Baby GOAT = 145lbs - 115lbs = Amanda Nunes

Always been that way. Never gonna stop.

Anderson is the GOAT.

Jon Jones is the undisputed undefeated GOAT

Anderson is #2
03C23921-4ECB-40BD-8855-FDA9FE58EB97.jpeg

The rest are playing catch up

GSP continues to win while Anderson loses. Some of these guys are just having a hard time with it. I say let them vent, they have to let this out stress can kill you.

How about GSP accept an Anderson Silva fight and we'll see who is the best. Anderson & Dana like the fight but GSP avoids it.

GSP!
GSP!
GSP!

giphy.gif

tumblr_olyqq7Xuok1rofocqo1_500.gif

source.gif

3ESJcy.gif

Fedor fanbase is much weaker than it used to be and I feel the whole Pride community is becoming more and more quiet as time passes. Fedor being GOAT looks less and less like a rational opinion and more and more like an old guy at the bar going on about the good old days. Thank god, I'm going to miss my battles with those guys but it's time for them to wave that white flag. MM and Aldo deserve their poll space in these convos.

What's mainly happening wrt Fedor is that the people who watched him when they were young and had a lot of free time have moved on to other things (taking care of a young family eats up time, and by the time you get to middle age following sport tends to become increasingly less important). The same will happen with GSP, Anderson and Jones as their fans move on to other things. This happens in all sports -- a lot of hockey fans now have no idea why Gordie Howe (or Bobby Orr or soon Wayne Gretzky) was considered great, a lot of basketball fans think first Wilt Chamberlain, then Kareem Abud-Jabbar, and now even Michael Jordan (guys they never saw play) were overrated compared to the guys playing today.

With a few exceptions (Babe Ruth, Jesse Owens, Muhammad Ali, mainly guys whose legend went beyond normal sport) newer fans are unaware of older greats as anything more than names, and so think they don't stack up to current stars. None of todays greats will be anything more than names in fifty years -- think Joe Louis or Sugar Ray Robinson, greats whose 'greatness' decreased as the people who saw them fight passed away.

People I know who watched Pride at the turn of the century still think Fedor and Big Nog (to take a couple of examples) were great. People who started watching after Pride shut down don't. That's to be expected; reading about great fighters or athletes, or watching them at the tail end of their careers, is very different than seeing them in their prime. The last years of Gretzky, Muhammad Ali, Michael Jordan and apparently even Babe Ruth weren't very good; if you only saw them at that point its hard not to conclude they were exposed at the end of their careers.

Seems like GSP and Anderson haters/nuthuggers have been going to war the past couple of weeks. And it seened like a Fedor v. Anderson mini-war was brewing but has since died down and now is all about GSP and Anderson.

Will a fan on each side rise up and become the new Cuepee and GBJJAD? It's like we're back in 2010 (not as bad but getting there)

They just wanna bang.

#TeamGSP

Anderson should have retired immediately after the leg break, or after the first time he was caught with PED's & it would be easier to place him on the GOAT list.

Jon Jones's name won't stop pulsing when you try to put it on the list

After Jones's PED saga there's this delusion that this disqualifies him and their old favorite fighter can be GOAT. On the part of the AS fanbase this is odd cause he got tested for PED's too but people like AS, so no one wants to talk about that cause the Jones thing ain't really about PED use.

Yeah GSP is on a cherry picking trip and his fans are just following him around. If he beats Khabib at 155 which he prolly will tbh cause he's asking for the fight, his fans will keep on deluding themselves into the 2030s.

Fedor fanbase is much weaker than it used to be and I feel the whole Pride community is becoming more and more quiet as time passes. Fedor being GOAT looks less and less like a rational opinion and more and more like an old guy at the bar going on about the good old days. Thank god, I'm going to miss my battles with those guys but it's time for them to wave that white flag. MM and Aldo deserve their poll space in these convos.
MM?

Strength of competition is a factor buddy... and if you look at his record, his name doesn't even come close to the others mentioned in your post, including Fedor.

Last edited:
Because Anderson is GOAT and still willing to fight top level competition instead of cherry picking opponents and flirting with fighting smaller men.

Fucking gold.

GSP is smaller than Anderson. Ya done goofed.

Gsp would currently and would always have beaten that dirty steroid cheat Anderson.

It's not a war: Silva fans just can't let go and they try to act like he's still relevant.

Back