What's goin' down at Tocco's (video):

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes

At some point in your life you may

Not from me, tho

Hey Sinister,

Can you upload some bag work, shadow boxing or sparring where you are actively giving instructions to your fighters.
I found those super useful. I digged some bagwork videos and especially liked your work with Pretorian (I think) and his pressure bag work drill, but the rest too. You are always giving solid instructions.

Not only that but I just don't do much heavybag watching now, I have too many students

Man's gotta make his money some how, and that's by getting people to go to his gym.

Seems like a weird concept. If he puts out videos or instructionals that demonstrate his high level of technical ability, that would get more people into the gym, wouldn't it? That's how it works in the BJJ world at least, but maybe it takes less to give the game away in the technique section of boxing than in BJJ.

Seems like a weird concept. If he puts out videos or instructionals that demonstrate his high level of technical ability, that would get more people into the gym, wouldn't it? That's how it works in the BJJ world at least, but maybe it takes less to give the game away in the technique section of boxing than in BJJ.

You have to have a differentiation between what people get when they pay you in person, vs what you give away for free. I have plenty of videos out, in fact I'm very very visible for a boxing trainer who is currently active, and I believe boxing has had far too much secrecy in the past century. That said, my paying students still need to be able to feel assured they're getting much more access.

Last edited:
Hey I just requested dont jump on Sinister. He has been super useful and you can learn a lot already by following his threads.

I will say that I think the arts of hitting each bag constructively are also waning. The bulk of people who hit bags have no idea why they're doing what they're doing other than to land a hard punch...or many of them, but thats not hard to do on a thing that can't defend itself or move away effectively.

I have two Norwegians here and when I did take the time to show them how to work the bags, it triggered epiphanies

It's really cool to see a disciple from the D'Amato lineage and a disciple from the Futch lineage come together.

@Sinister
Would you be willing to discuss teaching methodology? Or is that too close to business?

Well, that IS my business. But it depends on the question

Stance - From what I've seen the beginning position isn't all that important in the peek-a-boo system. There's some very very basic elements, but it's about the dynamic motions, not the static positions.

Footwork - Yes they don't make much emphasis on lifting the heels except to punch. Their motions seem designed specifically to get to a flanking position as quickly as possible.

But doesn it have the following disantdvanatges? (these quotes are from you) :

"The peek-a-boo guard refers to hand-positioning near the eyes or temples. The weakness? Giving up the body. Unless you have gorilla arms like Winky, your body is open.

It's about being able to shift weight gracefully. There are times when putting A heel down isn't a detraction, but if you ever have both heels down it's just the way the human body is built in that your weight distribution will be poor that way. So if you need to rotate knees, heels, and ankles to add power to a punch properly, it's just not going to happen. Plus, if you get hit, you won't be braced, and if your opponent can put their weight behind their punches it'll basically be their body-weight vs. what one of your heels can maintain without rocking back.
Mobility becomes easier, shifting weight from foot to foot becomes more fluid, elevation changes stay balanced, it all works better."

"Hands up to better deliver offense? Absolutely. Hands up for primary defense? No."

Isn´t it possible to use the "peekaboo" style without the peekabooguard (or a hybrid peekaboo style) and use the classical stance to have the elusive qualities of the peekaboo but without the disadvantages ? (technically it´s not the peekaboo anymore) but I hope I can communicate what I try to say

Isn´t at the end of the day the peekaboo style or rather a form of fighting that you call "tuck and roll fighter"?
and the differences between for example peekaboo and the philly shell styles have different advantages/disadvantages but they share the commen trait that they are "tuck and roll sytles/systems"?

what I also noticed most of the time Mike does not close distance by moving in with only head movement while doing several
steps but with one explosive step combined with a slip to the left

talking about rolling:

btw:
I have read that Billy Cayton wanted to fire Kevin Rooney and hire Eddie Futch but Cus had beef with him so Mike never worked with Futch
Mike was an intelligent , great and obsessed student, imagine if he would have absorbed the knowledge of Futch too

"The peek-a-boo guard refers to hand-positioning near the eyes or temples. The weakness? Giving up the body. Unless you have gorilla arms like Winky, your body is open.

It's about being able to shift weight gracefully. There are times when putting A heel down isn't a detraction, but if you ever have both heels down it's just the way the human body is built in that your weight distribution will be poor that way. So if you need to rotate knees, heels, and ankles to add power to a punch properly, it's just not going to happen. Plus, if you get hit, you won't be braced, and if your opponent can put their weight behind their punches it'll basically be their body-weight vs. what one of your heels can maintain without rocking back.
Mobility becomes easier, shifting weight from foot to foot becomes more fluid, elevation changes stay balanced, it all works better."

"Hands up to better deliver offense? Absolutely. Hands up for primary defense? No."

Isn´t it possible to use the "peekaboo" style without the peekabooguard (or a hybrid peekaboo style) and use the classical stance to have the elusive qualities of the peekaboo but without the disadvantages ? (technically it´s not the peekaboo anymore) but I hope I can communicate what I try to say

Isn´t at the end of the day the peekaboo style or rather a form of fighting that you call "tuck and roll fighter"?
and the differences between for example peekaboo and the philly shell styles have different advantages/disadvantages but they share the commen trait that they are "tuck and roll sytles/systems"?

what I also noticed most of the time Mike does not close distance by moving in with only head movement while doing several

talking about rolling:

btw:
I have read that Billy Cayton wanted to fire Kevin Rooney and hire Eddie Futch but Cus had beef with him so Mike never worked with Futch
Mike was an intelligent , great and obsessed student, imagine if he would have absorbed the knowledge of Futch too

Where did you read that Cus had beef with Futch?

talking about rolling:

btw:

Bennie Briscoe along with Frazier had a " tuck and roll" style. They didn't have my lateral footwork however. Bob and weave, front facing bend at the hips etc or the actual Philly shell.

So yes you can have a "peekaboo" kinda style withoutthe high guard.

Well, that IS my business. But it depends on the question
Well then I guess changing it the question to how to be a good student. How to make good connections and have purposeful trainig sessions.
I think we have all heard the saying “10000 hours or 10000 repetitions to master something.” But I have been learning about teaching methodology and recent information about neuroplasticity says that your brain needs to be engaged properly while you are engaging in these movements or practices otherwise the time is wasted.
Not asking for a key to the vault, but do you have any basic suggestions for students on how to stay in a engaging well motivated place while training with a coach or doing practice on their own?

talking about rolling:

btw:

Well, if you remove the "peek-a-boo" then it's not peek-a-boo. The style is named after the guard itself, because the purpose of the guard is to get the opponent to throw. That's when the move sequences are used depending on what the opponent throws. Now, the instructor you saw work with my guy Cyclone Mike, he's adaptive to the student. Able to just add some notions from that system. But the entire system itself is very form-specific and move-specific. If they do X, you do Y. But no, they're not quite the same as what I referred to as "tuck and roll" fighters, though I could see some similarities. THe peek-a-boo system was built on dynamics, explosiveness. The move execution largely depends on that.

Well then I guess changing it the question to how to be a good student. How to make good connections and have purposeful trainig sessions.
I think we have all heard the saying “10000 hours or 10000 repetitions to master something.” But I have been learning about teaching methodology and recent information about neuroplasticity says that your brain needs to be engaged properly while you are engaging in these movements or practices otherwise the time is wasted.
Not asking for a key to the vault, but do you have any basic suggestions for students on how to stay in a engaging well motivated place while training with a coach or doing practice on their own?

Well, that varies from student to student. It's extremely difficult to answer that without just being vague and saying you have to be in a good environment. But the instructor's job is to assure that the environment and the program fosters growth. Like planting things. First you make sure the soil is good, there's enough water (and not too much, think of water like the information, and soil would be access to the gym), enough sunlight (reinforcement) and dark (honesty)...if all those things are present and the student doesn't grow, then you can say they're a bad seed. Too many times, though, the student is called a bad seed when the instructor doesn't do any of those other things...or lies about them.

Well that makes me think of a couple things. Do you think people try to give themselves too much water or supplement the right kind of water with run off that they find on the internet or not from good sources. A good example of this Can be seen on this forum. Every few months there seems to be homegro n boxing experts that pop up and try and fight all the established traditions or knowledge for things they self taught over the internet.

Also for the dark. Is a part of that sparring? And assessment?
What about fostering growth with a program. I really liked what I saw from you as it felt like progress was noticeable and linear but how do you foster things like that in your personal time or when you are away from a good coach? Is it just a matter of searching your notes mental and physical and just recreating and redoing the exercises you have seen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back