What's a smoker and how does it work?

Replay19

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I've seen and heard the term being called "smokers" which is people coming from different gyms or backgrounds of sports martial arts and just sparring and exchanging or whatever.

How does it actually work and what are the etiquette? Thanks in advance

Here in CA, they're still illegal (as far as I know)...essentially unsanctioned amateur fights or "sparring sessions" between gyms. I guess the reasoning is that the CSAC (or corresponding AC) isn't getting fees from it and there's the issue of no medical personnel on standby in case shit goes wrong. Depending on what gym is hosting it, there may be limitations (like 50% power to the head, no knees or elbows to the face and full power elsewhere)...sometimes, it's essentially a 100% power kickboxing match with headgear/shinguards on. It was a way for guys to get experience before getting to the sanctioned amateur level. I'm writing this from a Muay Thai background...not sure how boxing or MMA gyms handle it.

i was wondering. i know there's no standard, but for ppl that have gone through smokers:

what gloves were you wearing, 16oz? (what weightclass)
what type of headgear were you wearing, open face, cheek protector, closed?

also another thing, ive heard ppl buy blue or red gloves for amateur fights. is that the standard? and whats the amateur competition weight of glove for 147-150, 12oz?

I've seen and heard the term being called "smokers" which is people coming from different gyms or backgrounds of sports martial arts and just sparring and exchanging or whatever.

How does it actually work and what are the etiquette? Thanks in advance

Basically a smoker/exibition is an unsanchioned amateur fight.
Its usually 80% of a real fight in terms of power and "going for the kill". eg. you have your opponent in the corner, and you rip bombs non-stop, after a bit if no retaliation from your opponent, the ref gives a standing 8 count.
With a smoker, maybe after a few hard shots, ref will break it, maybe tell you to cool it, make sure the other guy is really fine, and re-continue if everything's okay with both parties.

I had a teammate who dropped his opponent with a liver shot. Dude took near a min to recover, ref asked if he wanted more, he said so, and it continued. A real fight, that would've been a TKO after the 8 count.

Also, despite saying "80% / hard sparring", new guys are tense, nervous, and of course treat like the real thing... going in to kill. (Myself as well, with my first couple of smokers). Expect it to be like a real fight, the only difference is, you have assurance from the ref to look out for your safety. Ammy fight, only your corner is there to save / bail you.

Overall its a mock ammy fight, so there's still a weigh-in, stare-down, and all the rules still apply. Usually a ban on elbows, sometimes a ban on spinning attacks for newer guys since they're garbage at distance control and spinning backfists may end up being spinning elbows by accident.

i was wondering. i know there's no standard, but for ppl that have gone through smokers:

what gloves were you wearing, 16oz? (what weightclass)
what type of headgear were you wearing, open face, cheek protector, closed?

also another thing, ive heard ppl buy blue or red gloves for amateur fights. is that the standard? and whats the amateur competition weight of glove for 147-150, 12oz?

There's no standard on gear, really. I always wore my usual 12oz's (didn't have any other gloves other than a 8oz bag glove, and MMA ones), my first exhibition fight, I got some shit from the ref, but he let it go (was in the ring, the fight was ready to go, so he didn't want to stall it in case there were no 14s around). Other exhibitions, I continued wearing it and didn't get any crap from any other refs / organizers.

I wore my usual headgear, just a cheap Everlast one. Gym was selling gear for $50, I saw this at Walmart for $30, so I went with it. And it was allowed in the events. Hell, my first ammy fight in the US didn't provide headgear, and everyone, local and non-local, were using these, lol.
pDSP1-9482120p275w.jpg

These days, WKF, MTO, and other org. provide all the gear.

Ammy competition glove is 10oz. I fought 140-150, recently I've been in 155-160. I haven't heard of people using the colored gloves in fights, I have seen people buy colored shinguards for TBA, but if they got placed in the opposite corner (bought blue shins, fights in red), then they had to discard it for the fight.

This whole time I thought smokers were just about sparring from 30-70% casually with people from different arts, not an actual mock amateur match.

This whole time I thought smokers were just about sparring from 30-70% casually with people from different arts, not an actual mock amateur match.

Depending on the gym they're held at, I suppose. I've seen noses broken before but I guess that doesn't exactly mean anything specific. Consider it a hard sparring session with people from outside your gym. Also may or may not be legal, depending on the regulations of your state.

no way 30%. Its listed as "hard sparring", so at the minimum it'd be around 70%.
As for different arts, not really. Depends on the gym, they'll compete based on their rules eg. a muay thai smoker will be under muay thai rules, boxing with boxing rules, etc.
Generally under MT rules, you usually have the freedom for any type of legal strike. Spinning moves, like I said earlier depends on the ground rules set by the host. New guys who do spinning backfists might end up doing spinning elbows by accident, so they could ban it in the event.
I've actually never seen a B/A-class fighter in a smoker use elbows, even though at that point they're legally allowed to in a real ammy fight.

Back