What's a good language to learn for future job prospects?

Kick Strickland

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm thinking of going back to school as soon as I can, and I'm trying to decide what to study this time around. I have 1 friend who learned Spanish in the Army and she is currently working as a translator at a high school. I also know a dude that majored in french and he's also working as a translator somewhere.

I have heard that you can make good money translating if you learn a middle eastern language. No clue if that's true but I imagine it is. I also wonder about learning Japanese or Chinese for business negotiations and whatnot.

You guys have any idea what might be a marketable language to learn? I imagine I could pick up a new language pretty damn quickly if I really devoted myself to it. I don't imagine I'd have to take very many expensive courses to do so, either. Hell I might even be able to do that with one of those online programs, but I'd opt for a university route just to make contacts and get the professors to hook me up with employers.

Anyway, you guys know anything about this? Would it be worth my time, and could I get a job? And what type of job?

When I was younger I had a friend who learned Japanese. Went from being a part-time student/security guard making about $7/hr to making six figures as an English teacher in Japan. That was over 20 years ago, though, so the opportunity he had may not be all that available anymore.

When I was younger I had a friend who learned Japanese. Went from being a part-time student/security guard making about $7/hr to making six figures as an English teacher in Japan. That was over 20 years ago, though, so the opportunity he had may not be all that available anymore.

See, that's cool. That's the kind of info I'm looking for.

See, that's cool. That's the kind of info I'm looking for.

Cheers man.

And if we hear the announcers shouting "Gooaaaall!" during a basketball game that's broadcast in Japan then we know the English teaching gig has worked out very well for you over there.

My guess would be Spanish or Chinese. Arabic conjures up the image of you wearing bespoke three piece suits tailored on Savile Row translating for "make it rain" Middle Eastern princes in oil-rich countries.

5cee59925498b1b94cfcdbfa65a89405.jpg

Mandarin, Cantonese, Japanese. Russian or one of the Slavic dialects would also be good imo.

Cheers man.

And if we hear the announcers shouting "Gooaaaall!" during a basketball game that's broadcast in Japan then we know the English teaching gig has worked out very well for you over there.

No no no we don't' say that when you make a point (it ain't soccer). It's the combination of a pole, a rim and a net (the thing most of us played Bball on in our driveways). THAT thing IS called a basketball goal! Idc what you yankees call it, it's a basketball goal. You Northerners call it a "basketball hoop" but that shit sounds wrong to me. It's a basketball goal and you BETTER start saying it right. :mad: lol

My guess would be Spanish or Chinese. Arabic conjures up the image of you wearing bespoke three piece suits tailored on Savile Row translating for "make it rain" Middle Eastern princes in oil-rich countries.

I'm thinking Chinese sounds more lucrative than Spanish. More exotic, too, and probably MUCH harder to learn for Americans. I just don't care that much for Spanish myself, but if I had to I'm sure I could learn it.

Mandarin, Cantonese, Japanese. Russian or one of the Slavic dialects would also be good imo.

Right on man, I hadn't even considered Russian or any of the Slavic ones. Good call

If interested in following a similar path, here's one link that lists some of the best places around the world to teach English;

http://www.internationalteflacademy...b-markets-for-teaching-english-abroad-in-2015

Italy is one of best places to go apparently. At least according to that link.

Nice! Italian is another one I hadn't considered, and I would love to go to Italy. Being able to spit game at Italian chicks would also be a plus, although my game is not dependent on talking if ya know what I'm sayin :) But for real thanks man I'll check that link out.

It depends on what you want to do with it. China's obviously an economic powerhouse, but Mandarin is very difficult to learn as a native English speaker. I would guess that given India's population size and growing economy, Hindi might not be an awful choice, but from my very limited knowledge it seems like they're learning English pretty well.

Don't sleep on French. There are a lot of former French colonies all over the world where French is the language of business, and a lot of them are growing very quickly, both economically and in population. It's also easy to learn as an English speaker.

No no no we don't' say that when you make a point (it ain't soccer). It's the combination of a pole, a rim and a net (the thing most of us played Bball on in our driveways). THAT thing IS called a basketball goal! Idc what you yankees call it, it's a basketball goal. You Northerners call it a "basketball hoop" but that shit sounds wrong to me. It's a basketball goal and you BETTER start saying it right. :mad: lol

You wanna go?

Calling a Red Sox loving Canucklehead like myself a "yankee" is just about the most offensive thing you could call someone like me. Curse you. Oh, and we call them basketball things loops where I'm from. Then again, we call every circular thing a loop around these parts. Even the ball.

Nice! Italian is another one I hadn't considered, and I would love to go to Italy. Being able to spit game at Italian chicks would also be a plus, although my game is not dependent on talking if ya know what I'm sayin :) But for real thanks man I'll check that link out.

Hey, to give you a head start you could always pick up the Ezio trilogy of Assassin's Creed games if you haven't played them yet. Not only can you learn quite a bit of Italian while playing those games but you can have tons of fun doing it.

Depends on the job.

Chinese is a safe bet for business. Russian is a safe bet if you want some sort of job in the government. If you're doing some sort of work that involves socializing with various people in America then Spanish is a safe bet.

If you learn both Chinese and Russian you'd be in high demand for several different organizations.

It depends on what you want to do with it. China's obviously an economic powerhouse, but Mandarin is very difficult to learn as a native English speaker. I would guess that given India's population size and growing economy, Hindi might not be an awful choice, but from my very limited knowledge it seems like they're learning English pretty well.

Don't sleep on French. There are a lot of former French colonies all over the world where French is the language of business, and a lot of them are growing very quickly, both economically and in population. It's also easy to learn as an English speaker.

I honestly wouldn't want to learn Hindi, and I think you're right most of those guys speak English fairly well as far as I know.

Mandarin is probably a leading candidate right now. I imagine there are a lot of opportunities for an American who speaks Mandarin or Cantonese or whatever. I wonder if the fact that I'm a blonde haired, blue-eyed "guilo" would hurt my chances with Chinese companies, though.

And French...I had 2 years of French in high school but I've lost everything I learned by now. You bring up a good point about all the French colonies, though. I hadn't thought about that...I was thinking it'd be limited to France or Canada. I could for sure look into that one as well.

Nice reply btw, thanks

French is also a good suggestion.

I speak Spanish and basic Portuguese. No idea if this will help me in later life, but we'll see. A lot of people speak Spanish, so it may be of less help to you.

You wanna go?

Calling a Red Sox loving Canucklehead like myself a "yankee" is just about the most offensive thing you could call someone like me. Curse you. Oh, and we call them basketball things loops where I'm from. Then again, we call every circular thing a loop around these parts. Even the ball.

Haha you're a fruitloop Sharkey :icon_chee

Y'all probably say "yous guys" too, don't ya? don't ya?

Back