Whats a gogo plata?

IllWil

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Can someone please try to explain?

you try an OMOPLATA and then switch by putting your shin under their chin and against their neck and pulling on their head, your foot should be on the side of their face. it is effective and they have to smell your feet.

I love it. Nino Schembri loves all the those moves try to get your hands on his instructional dvds if you are interested. I learned a much saver version of the gogoplata with it. You trap the arm like usually and can't /don't want to omoplata him. You put your shin infront of his neck and put your other foot behind his neck like with a triangle just his head is trapped between the feet. I love the move because i have smelly feet j/k

Like this?
hobe_tannis_a.jpg

But in this pic hes just using one of his legs?

you only use one leg in the choke - i usually just keep my other leg on my opponent's back or behind his legs to maintain body control

Yup, that looks like a gogo plata. Good move, but you need to be pretty flexible. A lot of nice setups exist from Eddie Bravo's rubber guard.

ok so once you have the arm trapped in a semi omoplata...you put your shin across the guys chin...then what part applies the pressure...is it the same ways as an omoplata?

I think I need to see this move in a demonstration...sounds pretty nifty to me n aparently there's a choke you can get from that as well?

mma99 said:
ok so once you have the arm trapped in a semi omoplata...you put your shin across the guys chin...then what part applies the pressure...is it the same ways as an omoplata?

I think I need to see this move in a demonstration...sounds pretty nifty to me n aparently there's a choke you can get from that as well?

the gogoplata itself is a shin choke. your shin goes across their throat and you grab your toes and...sort of twist? i dont know its hard to explain where the pressure comes from, but i think its mostly from the upward drive of your shin into their neckas you hold the head in place with your arm

When I saw BJ Penn use this move I rolled my eyes and realized it would be the dawn of a new "grappling trend" reminiscent of the anaconda choke and the body triangle.

I sometimes get it too but very hard if you aint flexible. Normal pressure come from pushing your shin into their throat, with your leg power, your arm behind their head and your free hand to push your shin even further. I get more pressure from stretching my foot out and pulling my (in that pic) left arm towards me. You Shin and Arm then form a scissor around his neck.
Makes em tap fast.

to get more leverage on the choke you have to scoot your hip away from the choke. To the left in the picture. Try it out your self.. youll notice scooting your hip towards the side the choke lessens it, and scooting away makes it very tight. its the angle where the shin bone and arm meet that make all the difference.
hobe_tannis_a.jpg

Gsoares2 said:
to get more leverage on the choke you have to scoot your hip away from the choke. Try it out your self.. youll notice scooting your hip towards the choke lessens the strength of it, and scooting away makes it very tight.

Yes stretch your body out...

Te(V)plar said:
When I saw BJ Penn use this move I rolled my eyes and realized it would be the dawn of a new "grappling trend" reminiscent of the anaconda choke and the body triangle.

the anaconda choke might fade out as people learn to recognize and defend it but i dont think the body triangle is the same as these weird techniques like the anaconda and gogoplata. people might not tap to it anymore like that miletich guy did vs ivan salaverry (i forget his name) but its still a good way of controlling the back

Back