What would UFC be worth on the NYSE?

there is actually money bet on wwe and government oversight. in 2007, the Oversight and Government Reform Committee investigated steroid use. as for the betting markets, no one knows the outcomes so its a legit market, albeit a capped one. just like reality tv and occasionally drama.

its a promo.

and yes, i believe you can absolutely buy shares in those companies.

Christ you can bet on WWE. Read about how you can bet on WWE.

No one here is close to qualified to answer this question. They'll act like they are though, and they'll try. That's why I love em.

You don't think there are any posters with CBV, CFA, CA, CPA designations who read this forum and can value PE based on relative value or DCF? I beg to differ... Just because you can't doesn't mean it cant be done. Best thing about the capital markets is value is subjective and changes daily... This is not to say the best business valuators hold any of the above. Often times people who don't involve themselves daily have some of the most insightful observations about private equity. No qualifications necessary - afterall MS underwrote FB for 100b and if you read only a little regarding the markets you'll know how that turned out

Forbes list really is bullshit since the Dodgers were bought for $2 billion dollars. They didn't take into account how much money LA were going to get for their local TV deal (which is rumoured to be between 6 to 7 billion dollars over 25 years from Fox).

You don't think there are any posters with CBV, CFA, CA, CPA designations who read this forum and can value PE based on relative value or DCF? I beg to differ... Just because you can't doesn't mean it cant be done. Best thing about the capital markets is value is subjective and changes daily... This is not to say the best business valuators hold any of the above. Often times people who don't involve themselves daily have some of the most insightful observations about private equity. No qualifications necessary - afterall MS underwrote FB for 100b and if you read only a little regarding the markets you'll know how that turned out

No I don't. I don't know who here has anything to compare it with or any way to value most things.

No I don't. I don't know who here has anything to compare it with or any way to value most things.

There are a number of comparable companies in entertainment with low levels of fixed assets, high levels of human capital and low levels of debt. You could take a price/sales approach where you estimate sales based on the 20 or so cards the UFC puts together and use a multiple based on those comps. Pretty simple and common in PE

no sports are publically held companies, that would be crazy corrupt

and the answer is very complicated, its not about what your worth its what their speculated future value, thats why Chipotle Mexican Grill cost 10x more than Microsoft

Guy, you need to do a little research. Microsoft has a market capitalization over $229b, Chipotle is around $9b. Just because a share of Chipotle's stock sells for higher does not mean the company is worth more. Microsoft could outright buy all of the Chipotle stock in cash if it wanted to. Microsoft has more outstanding shares than Chipotle does, which means each share is worth less, not the company as a whole.

The hard part with DCF is we don't know their cash flow. They don't pay a public dividend so we can't estimate based on that. Their PPV and gate revenue stream can be reasonably estimated, but we don't know what their sponsorship deals are actually worth. People could come up with a close estimate, but without peeling back some of the layers and getting even a glimpse at the financials it's next to impossible.

The hard part with DCF is we don't know their cash flow. They don't pay a public dividend so we can't estimate based on that. Their PPV and gate revenue stream can be reasonably estimated, but we don't know what their sponsorship deals are actually worth. People could come up with a close estimate, but without peeling back some of the layers and getting even a glimpse at the financials it's next to impossible.

Don't bring reason into this. Clearly there are people here who can estimate the UFCs worth with no real information available.

It wouldn't be easy, that's for sure. I agree - without full transparency it would be a guess. That's what makes it fun. Stick 50 Wall St IB's in a room and I'm sure you would get 50 diff valuations. Wouldn't be surprised if there are a number of ppl on this forum that could come within 100mm or so of the the intrinsic value. Which isn't that bad given the volatility of market caps these days

It wouldn't be easy, that's for sure. I agree - without full transparency it would be a guess. That's what makes it fun. Stick 50 Wall St IB's in a room and I'm sure you would get 50 diff valuations. Wouldn't be surprised if there are a number of ppl on this forum that could come within 100mm or so of the the intrinsic value. Which isn't that bad given the volatility of market caps these days
its definately not a "greatest lhk evah" type thread. i dont believe that invalidates the question though. its not easy, but a few people may have good answers, and that informs the context that frames the debate in quite a profound way. ufcs market value would inevitably have fluctuated a lot in the last few years also.

Bout a buck-fiddy.

But why are you comparing it to clubs/teams and not leagues?

No one here is close to qualified to answer this question. They'll act like they are though, and they'll try. That's why I love em.

So basically just what I said everyone. You can't blame em for arguing though, this is Sherdog.

its definately not a "greatest lhk evah" type thread. i dont believe that invalidates the question though. its not easy, but a few people may have good answers, and that informs the context that frames the debate in quite a profound way. ufcs market value would inevitably have fluctuated a lot in the last few years also.

...needs more shadface....

Also, i agree

PPVs and Gate receipts for 2011 are about $220Million and they were down on 2010. $30+ million went on Fighter salaries and they increased from the year before (individual salaries are interesting!). They don't disclose much more than this however Forbes came out in an article and stated $1 billion in 2008.

S&P's stock index trades at an average 15 multiple so you can use that as a maximum multiple and guess from there. Btw for random info since FB was mentioned, facebook is in at a 155 multiple whereas Apple is 11.

Last edited:
Hard to tell. Unless they open their books it's all speculation.

Back