What would be the ultimate RUSSIA VS USA fight with most cultural impact?

Tentacle

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Needless to say the US and Russia have serious political and sports rivalry going back decades. However, as far as I know remember the US vs Russia angle has never really been promoted or talked about in relation to a major fight; and maybe this is for the best. Despite this I would like to discuss what fight could transcend the sport of mma and become a talking point of pop culture in both countries and around the world and where the national rivalry gets focused on.

The fight most likely needs to be for a title. One or both of the fighters can not be too gimmicky or eccentric (this is why I thought and still believe Tony vs Khabib does not have the potential). The fighters need to be at very high levels, even for champions and contenders - maybe Gaethje vs Khabib? Maybe the question of ethnicity will be very important; for example will the majority of the russian population rally around any fighter from the Caucasus.

images

VS

images

images

it would be an epic,Movie level rivalry, but Dana ended that dream by not respecting GOAT Fedor.

in real life the Russian would be the hero ...

images

VS

images

images

it would be an epic,Movie level rivalry, but Dana ended that dream by not respecting GOAT Fedor.

in real life the Russian would be the hero ...

Is Brock particularly American though? Doesn't he live in Canada, and didn't he once represent Canada when he fought Hunt?

Olympic Gold Medalist Hero Henry Cejudo
versus
Ice Man Petr Evgenyevich Yan

Petr is Russian-Russian, not Kavkaz. Though tbf, he's a bit Chinese. And Henry is a bit Mexican. But hey this is real life, not a movie. Can't have it be ideal, can we? Edit: actually, maybe this makes it better: Rocky Balboa was the Italian Stallion, and Ivan Drago is Swedish irl.

Last edited:
Maybe the question of ethnicity will be very important; for example will the majority of the russian population rally around any fighter from the Caucasus.

They absolutely won't, so Khabib (or any Dagestani fighter) is out of question.

TBH there are no MMA fighters right now that the Russian population would rally around simply because MMA is not that mainstream, believe it or not.

Russian national team playing against team USA in a FIFA World Cup play-offs or in an Olympic hockey tournament final might do it to some extent. MMA? Nah.

In a perfect world Fedor, making a comeback against legit competition in 2011-2013 and facing Cain in 2014, is probably your best bet. 2014-2015 were the peak years of the anti-American sentiment in Russia in the 21st century.

Last edited:
Olympic Gold Medalist Hero Henry Cejudo
versus
Ice Man Petr Evgenyevich Yan

Petr is Russian-Russian, not Kavkaz. Though tbf, he's a bit Chinese. And Henry is a bit Mexican. But hey this is real life, not a movie. Can't have it be ideal, can we? Edit: actually, maybe this makes it better: Rocky Balboa was the Italian Stallion, and Ivan Drago is Swedish irl.

Petr is not that popular yet. I mean if he goes on a tear and defends his title multiple times, then yeah, maybe. Not right now though. He's not mainstream enough but he's got the potential, that's for sure.

Last edited:
Khabib is the perfect Ivan Drago. Maybe Edgar in his prime would have been a good fit in terms of the Rocky story but I think a Rocky comeback would have been well beyond him.

Petr is not that popular yet. I mean if he goes on a tear and defends his title multiple times, then yeah, maybe. Not right now though. He's not mainstream enough but he's got the potential, that's for sure.

He doesn't have a wow factor for casuals. Khabib came with wow factor from day one vs Shalrlus. Even at that time his awkward striking looked like a crazy brawler which casuals enjoy. Then came flying knees, slams,mailings, talking while beating MJ and stuff like that

Yan is a great technical fighter but he did not produce anything "wow" ish for casuals. We hardcore's love it but casuals always need something to wow about.

Chamaev for example another wow factor. I'm not sold yet but casuals already love his style.

The thing about ppl like khabib and chamaev is that their style resembles street beat down, which attracts casuals. Whearas technical strikers have not been as popular despite great fights(Wonderboy, Dom Reyes etc).

So Yan doesn't have a cult following like Tony, khabib and even Gathjee have or Conor, Nate etc.

Wouldn't work with one of the Dagestani/Chechen fighters. Their popularity more so is the result of the fact that they're Muslim, not that they're Russian. Sorry if you're a pussy who gets triggered by this notion, but it's the truth.

Khabib Vs Colby at 170 for his retirement fight

Back