What/when to eat when working out twice a day

Cactus Hugger

White Belt
Reaction score
Does anyone have any tips about what and when to eat when working out twice a day? Like when should I eat protein, when should I eat fast carbs and slow carbs, etc..

The plan is to go to the gym and lift weights in the morning and then go to a local MMA gym in the evening and do kickboxing and/or jiu-jitsu depending on the day of the week. I don't want to lose weight, just want to have enough energy to make it through both workouts and be able to do it again the next day.

Thanks

Just curious, how many times a week do you plan to do 2-a-days? And what days do you train most intensley? What is your resting strategy?

Just curious, how many times a week do you plan to do 2-a-days? And what days do you train most intensley? What is your resting strategy?

Well I guess I was going to play it by ear a bit. I was thinking of hitting the gym 4 days a week and doing MMA 3-4 times a week as well in whatever way works best with my schedule. I'm in pretty good shape; I was distance running up until a year ago, then I quit due to shin splints, and I've been lifting weights since.

Weird. We are very similar.

About to start working in 2-a-days with MMA/kickboxing. Was a distance runner (not too extreme tho, 1/2 marathons at most) for last couple of years.

I am taking the same approach, playing it by ear. Been an athlete long enough to know how to listen to my body. Timing diet/rest were areas I could have been better at in the past.

So sorry, no answers. Just the same questions.

Start out eating more than you think you need, as that will probably be close to the right amount. Then, if you start putting on any fat, gradually cut out excessive fats or high GI carbs.

With that general framework in place, you probably won't need to make any drastic changes. Get more than enough protein, and have a steady supply of high GI carbs just before, during, and immediately after your workouts (especially the more intense ones fitness-wise). If you have cravings for some sort of food, you should probably listen to them, as you'll be in need of a ton of different types of nutrients in greater amounts than you are now.

Basically, priority 1 is surviving the workout schedule, priority 2 is maximizing your workout intensity, and priority 3 is not putting on weight you don't want.

Back