What was ur reaction to Mendes-Mcgregor?

Istryker

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Just rewatched the fight and it was such an incredible two round fight, Chad got chinned but he put up a hell of a fight on short notice and I thought he could’ve stopped Conor on the ground if he kept it up with the GNP.

That fight showed me that Mcgregors wrestling is actually a little underrated because most guys get mauled by chad mendes on the ground.

what did y’all think immediately after

Conor showed he has a hell of a chin. He can take a punch. Mendes landed huge bombs on that fight standing and I thought he would take him out. Great showing from both fighters and love the respect at the end.

Great fight for sure. One thing I've always wondered is, if Mendes had won, would Conor had become the superstar that he became? Or would his aura have fizzled with the loss? We'll never know, but it's an interesting thing to think about.

The haters were salty af that night. Was kinda funny. That's how I know all the Conor hate has nothing to do with the bullshit they claim.

It was an insane fight, I could not believe Conor won and I also was very salty not only cause I hate Conor but I wanted Chad to win some gold.

I was salty and felt there were still many unanswered questions as many others did

Great fight for sure. One thing I've always wondered is, if Mendes had won, would Conor had become the superstar that he became? Or would his aura have fizzled with the loss? We'll never know, but it's an interesting thing to think about.

He already was a star. The Mendes/Aldo wins just made him top billing in the UFC. But before that he'd already been given the world tour for Aldo, headlined multiple cards, including Boston, and been put on a MM PPV to try and boost it. The UFC had already struck gold, regardless of whether he won that night or not. Let alone that they were going to do their damndest to get Conor/Aldo somehow after that world tour. 1 win and he'd have gotten the Aldo/Mendes winner.

People also forget that a lot of the early love for Conor was precisely for doing things like taking Mendes on short notice. Early Conor didn't give a fuck because he was just there to fight, hence his non-reaction to getting Mendes at 2am and just going back to bed. Everybody's just pigeon holed that he fought Brandao and Holloway on short notice too, and only remember Mendes and Diaz I. His original opponents were Cole Miller and Andy Ogle, which I often laugh at when I consider how much saltier people would be if he'd beaten them instead. Early Conor fought who was put in front of him, regardless of notice, up until Diaz I. People loved him for that.

So even if he'd lost to Mendes they'd still have loved him for still showing up and keeping the card going. Especially as people were disillusioned with Aldo precisely because he was always getting injured or pulling out.

Chad got the fight on short notice and clearly his cardio was not there.

Full camp Chad would have won I think.

Chad "gassed" against Volkanovski in the exact same fashion. Conveniently enough in both cases he was taking too much damage, especially to the body.

Seems more like Volk copied Conor.

Fun fight, the live intros were interesting for sure. Saw Conor lose the first and really started thinking he might lose overall, and in fairness to him he overcame Short Notice Mendes and got the W.

Interesting to think what might have happened if Mendes had more of a camp, as up to that point, we didn't see Conor's cardio issues at 145, because he only had 1 fight that went to the third round.
I also thought it was weird that Herb stopped to with I believe literally 1 or 2 seconds left in the round. But I think Chad was done anyway.

Other than that, it was a super fun fight. It was the first time seeing Conor fight an elite level 145er, it was back and forth, they were talking to each other and smiling.
189 was a fun ass card.

Full camp Mendes probably would've won based on how he was performing before fading. Other than that I just thought "oh great.... Conor won...."

My reaction was despite winning that it was the first time he faced the wrestler problem and he failed the test. After that he never faced another wrestler until Khabib, where he failed again. I think Mendes with a full camp wins that fight, Chad was never known to gas and it almost certainly had to do with taking a fight on 2 weeks notice. (Yes im aware, Conor kicked the body).

Chad was an amazing talent, dude gets no respect. All the fans these days don't understand fighters fall out of their primes.

Back