what was the extent of BJ Penn's awesomeness?

ufc_107_penn_sanchez_victory.gif

<Kpop775><Kpop775><Kpop775>

He was obviously elite and one of the best in the world at a certain point. But, going on a massive losing streak is going to destroy anybody’s legacy. That’s why only a handful of posters will list even Silva in the GOAT discussion anymore. Despite his legendary achievements. It only makes sense. You can’t just look at the wins without taking into account the losses. The greatest fighters of all time simply don’t have double digit losses. By definition that should be obvious imo. If you get paid to fight, it goes on your record. If you hang on too long. You can pretty much expect to lose with regularity at some point. But, nobody forced you to take that fight.

We all know what this place would be like if GSP lost to Bisping. Even with his win, people try to discredit his whole career.

But I have nothing against the guy. Penn had big brass balls, and I respect that about him.
It's not just wins and losses, also accomplishments. You have to compare accomplishments as well. Like with Anderson Silva you would compare his title defense streak, if the fighter you are comparing doesn't have the same accomplishment, Silva would still be higher because of that accomplishment regardless of losses. For BJ it would be 2 division champ. You can't compare 2 division champs with just 1 division champs. You would have to compare champs that stayed in their divisions only with each other. The 2 division champs will be compared with other 2 division champs and look at their overall career.

Im glad I got to see him before Frankie took his soul.

He was ahead of the pack in his prime.

His last 7 fights were hard to watch.

He never surrounded himself with a world class team ( until it was far too late )
He rarely got himself into shape properly
And he still demolished some world class fighters, won world titles in 2 divisions and was the first non Brazilian to win a Bjj world title .
As far as natural talents , he’s top 5 ever

About as awesome as you can get. He has given us many many memorable moments. Enough we will be talking about him until I die and after.

Bout tree fiddy

for example, when he did more than hold his own against Lyoto Machida... he literally did way better against machida than rich franklin did, could bj have possibly went up and taken the MW belt from Rich?
This is the bad thing about MMAth, especially for those who weren't around when those fights happened. Wild and twisted distortion.

Suffice to say no- fighter's abilities change over time. You can't make those kinds of judgements using fight finder. You had to be there, and actually understand the context of the fighter's abilities at the time.

I would say he's the fighter who has absolutely doen the most to tarnish his legacy.

Current fans only know the fat out of shape tippy toes BJ, who looks like shit.

Not the world destroyer who absolutely demolished people, turning them into hamburger on the process.

Back