What type of monitor do you have?

Takes_Two_To_Tango

Formally known as MXZT
Platinum Member
Reaction score
This is the one I have right now.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/produc...wzrXmZbApj65KDtI8_BoCbx4QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

ca-uhd-monitor-ur55-lu28r550uqnxza-thumb-536589988

lg 45 inch OLED monitor, 3 Samsung Odyssey 49 inch curved , Samsung 144hz 65 inch gaming display. A few of the cheap 24 inch displays

lg 45 inch OLED monitor, 3 Samsung Odyssey 49 inch curved , Samsung 144hz 65 inch gaming display. A few of the cheap 24 inch displays

It is kind of hard to state how much of a step up OLED. I have a hard time justifying not having one when I spend so many hours on the computer. The text is supposed to not be as sharp with Windows whatever text bullshit but I honestly don't notice it. The contrast ratio in my opinion makes things easier to read and if I have the light in the room out, I don't have to blow out everything with a backlight screen.

Reactions: PEB
It is kind of hard to state how much of a step up OLED. I have a hard time justifying not having one when I spend so many hours on the computer. The text is supposed to not be as sharp with Windows whatever text bullshit but I honestly don't notice it. The contrast ratio in my opinion makes things easier to read and if I have the light in the room out, I don't have to blow out everything with a backlight screen.
Yes an it will get even better, brighter an even sharper colors.

Acer AOPEN 24.5" 360hz monitor that overclocks to 390hz.

Id like to get a 35" ultrawide curved monitor and dabble back into Sim Racing. But, being that i play multiplayer FPS regularly i cant go back below 390hz.

Aorus FI27Q-P 165hz

Next one will likely be one of the 27inch OLEDs.

A samsung wide one. Got it on clearance from Walmart. It can do 144hz.

I have 3:

- An Acer predator 34 inch 3440 x 1440. It's quite old actually and showing its age with refresh rates that suck by modern standards, but love the space it affords

- A corsair Xeneon 27 inch 2560 x 1440. It's OLED, so use it to watch TV/Movies/Video Editing/Photo Editing. I don't use it for gaming, but it has great specs for gaming 240 Hz, .03 millisecond response time

- some old Samsung 24 inch. Kind of use it to display system monitoring, and lame ass shit like spreadsheets

https://www.ign.com/articles/acer-predator-x35-review

I got that one during the beginning of the pandemic. It’s an absolutely fantastic monitor. Thinking about upgrading to the new OLED monitors that Samsung/Alienware sell though in the same format. I do really love OLED screens and they’re fast now

Its fun to tilt the monitor into portrait mode to play pinball!

I want a multi-monitor rack setup like you see in movies and TV, but no idea where they sell those.

Oled. Never going back. Ever. At best, I'll use side monitors for some things.
That display Alienware showcased at CES appears to be the new gold standard in gaming monitors. I don't know of a better combination of color, detail, and motion performance on the market.
  • QD-OLED
  • 26.7"
  • 1440p
  • 360 Hz
  • 10-bit color (true, not FRC), 99.3% DCI-P3
  • 250 Nits, Peak 1000 Nits
  • VESA HDR400 True Black
  • Freesync Premium Pro (44Hz-360Hz)
Digital Trends: Making the Best Even Better

monitor-alienware-2725df-black-gallery-1-ces.psd

That display Alienware showcased at CES appears to be the new gold standard in gaming monitors. I don't know of a better combination of color, detail, and motion performance on the market.
  • QD-OLED
  • 26.7"
  • 1440p
  • 360 Hz
  • VESA HDR400 True Black

1705321143762.gif

How does it compare to Dyac?

• QD-OLED
  • 26.7"
  • 1440p
  • 360 Hz
  • VESA HDR400 True Black

When using these crazy high refresh monitors, what FPS do you need to achieve to take advtage of it? Say you're getting 60 to 70FPS on Cyberpunk, would you notice difference on smoothness between a 144 Hz and 360 Hz screen?
Oled. Never going back. Ever. At best, I'll use side monitors for some things.
I recently got my first Oled panel, Alienware's aw3423dwf. It's such a joy to watch movies on and play games.

The colours, and deep blacks pull you right in. I'd like it to be just a bit bigger, like maybe 38 to 40 inches, but otherwise it's near perfect.

I had an IPS screen, those washed out blacks always irked me.

A compressed pic doesn't do it justice, but Cyberpunk with HDR and even the limited Ray tracing I can do is something else.
Screenshot_20240115-210617_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:

Why 3 49 inch curved ones? Is that for your racing sim set up?

When using these crazy high refresh monitors, what FPS do you need to achieve to take advtage of it? Say you're getting 60 to 70FPS on Cyberpunk, would you notice difference on smoothness between a 144 Hz and 360 Hz screen?
The only guys crazy enough to really care about refresh rates above 240fps and implications for motion smoothness are esports guys.
How does it compare to Dyac?
My gut tells me the hardcore eSports players are gonna stick with BenQ because of DyAc's unique advantage. Because even if this Alienware supports a backlight strobing "ultra low motion blur" mode, you're never going to turn it on. In the past Alienwares just utilized NVIDIA's ULMB technology. Of course, as you know, this halves the brightness, and with a peak enduring brightness of just 250 nits, which really isn't that bright, it would be way too dark to be practical. These OLED monitors are leaning on the incredible contrast ratio of OLED to carry the lower brightness output in daylight settings. Even in the dark 125nits is unplayable.

But I'd really like one of the major tech outlets to do a deep dive because there are unanswered questions in this space about how the theory shakes out.

BenQ needs to stop resting on their laurels. They haven't really improved anything in three years since the XL2546K released. Unlike the advantage over IPS, TN panels aren't appreciably more responsive than OLED. Meanwhile, frame outputs in the most competitive games have gotten so high with the latest hardware that a 1080p doesn't seem theoretically justified, anymore, even with the argument about unlimited frames. Freesync and Gsync eliminate tearing completely all the way up to 500 fps with a penalty of just a few ms, now, even if many would opt not to turn it on because they believe it unnecessary at framerates that high.

I think Alienware might be outdoing them. The IPS panels offer the alternative of superior brightness, higher fps, and native VRR support at the sacrifice of just 1-2 ms response time. The OLED panels offer better detail, color, contrast, equal or higher fps, *faster response times, and just a bit lower brightness. These things matter in the real world to what the eye discerns in those tiny corners of the screen that separate a hit from a miss.

*Correction: OLED are faster, not just equal, to even TN panels

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biden's Diaper
Back