What to expect at my New boxing Gym?

xXZeroDarkstarX

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I just started Boxing on Monday and still not exactly sure what to expect. The first day some guy wrapped my hands and then had me jump rope. After that he did the focus mits with me and then told me to go hit the heavy bad.

Besides that I havent gotten any instruction. They pretty much have you going in there and then follow the routine thats posted on the wall, not very much one on one instruction.

I really dont mind going in and hitting the heavy bag or shadow boxing or doing any of those things.

My question is I can do those things but how do I know im even doing them right. I can go hit a bag but how is my boxing going to improve with some one instructing me.

Anyone got any advise?

a lot of gyms are like that, when I first started boxing it was kind of the same thing, and then the coaches started noticing that my technique was off, and then I started getting more personal attention, if that doesn't happen to you just go ask them how your punches are looking.

Thanks, until then should I just keep showing up and hitting the heavy bag and jumping rope till someone tells me to do something right?

Really seems like a waste of time to me to go in and train a whole bunch of stuff if im doing it completely wrong.

Hmm, you may need to get a trainer. A lot of boxing gyms are just places to work out; you need to get a trainer in addition if you want to be taught anything.

If he was working the focus mitts with you, then he was giving you instruction. Many trainers/coaches at a busy gym will not waste time with a guy untill that man shows desire to learn. The attitude is: "why teach you now, when you'll proly quit in two weeks anyway?"
This isn't such a great attitude from the perspective of the new student, and it proly costs the gym alot of students in the long run. In the short run, it allows the coach to work with guys that have shown the desire to train.
Ask yourself, if I can't skip for five rounds, how will I ever fight for 2?
Skipping works your coordination, arm endurance and cardio. It's a fundamental skill in boxing, everyone does it. So do it, and love it.
Heavy bag: this is your place to shine. Hit that sucker fast, full power, for as many rounds as you can handle. Work on fast, powerful combos of whatever punches you know. The louder the sound the more attention you'll get. Skip lots, work hard, do what they tell you, hit that bag like an animal, that'll get their attention for sure. Do it for a couple weeks, be the first one in the gym and the last one to leave, I garuntee, they will notice that, if nothing else. If they still don't give you instruction after this, pm me, and I'll give you another tip. Peace, man.

yeah thats what I was thinking. How was the training at your gym when you first started? Was it the same thing?

I think ill stick it out but I just kinda want to learn something.

xXZeroDarkstarX said:
Thanks, until then should I just keep showing up and hitting the heavy bag and jumping rope till someone tells me to do something right?

Really seems like a waste of time to me to go in and train a whole bunch of stuff if im doing it completely wrong.

Maybe I should have been more clear, Most boxig gyms are concerned with who thier next great champ will be and they don't always have time for the other guys to teach them anything, all you have to do is ask them how your punches are form look, I am pretty sure that they will answer you.

xXZeroDarkstarX said:
I just started Boxing on Monday and still not exactly sure what to expect. The first day some guy wrapped my hands and then had me jump rope. After that he did the focus mits with me and then told me to go hit the heavy bad.

Besides that I havent gotten any instruction. They pretty much have you going in there and then follow the routine thats posted on the wall, not very much one on one instruction.

I really dont mind going in and hitting the heavy bag or shadow boxing or doing any of those things.

My question is I can do those things but how do I know im even doing them right. I can go hit a bag but how is my boxing going to improve with some one instructing me.

Anyone got any advise?

it's the same everywhere you go as far as boxing gyms are concerned until you show up there regularily and trainers work with you often enough. You may want to keep consistent on working with your favorite trainer. This way he'll see you progress and have you sparring soon enough

xXZeroDarkstarX said:
yeah thats what I was thinking. How was the training at your gym when you first started? Was it the same thing?

I think ill stick it out but I just kinda want to learn something.
I had the benefit of being exactly the same size as a fighter the gym had just lost, so they were interested in me right away. Since then, I've seen alot of guys come and go, so I know what the coaches at my gym are thinking when these guys come in.
Don't worry about learning, you will learn if you do the following:
Emulate! Look around the gym, who is the best fighter? Find that guy and kinda observe him for a few weeks, what does he do? Watch and learn. Take a notebook with you and write down your max reps in the following categories:
Burpees, pushups, situps/crunches, lying leg lifts, chin-ups, pullups, body squats.
Also, how many rounds can I skip for, before my arms fall off?
How many jabs can I throw with power in one round?
How many crosses?
How many 1-2 punches can I throw in one round?
Write all this stuff down. Also write down your current weight.
6 months from now, take a look at the first page of your book, use ms spreadsheet and make a curve-graph with it. You'll be very pleased.
Always write down your workouts. Time. Date. Duration. Exercises done, general comments. This is one tool that keeps me focused, and on track. You can also write down sleep hours, diet, how your body feels, tips others give you and quotes that inspire you.

It will probably take a couple of months before you are in good enough shape to do much anyways, so don't worry about it too much at first.

Show them you are serious as other people have said by showing up and working hard..

When they work mitts with you ask questions, then practice what they've told you so they will see that you listened. practiced and learned...People like it when their advice is used

Ask for a tip or two each time you go and soon the guys will be offering you insight without you having to go to them..

Don't be a pest, wait until they are free and don't interrupt them if they are working with someone else.

try asking them a quick personal question between rounds on the mitts, when did you start boxing? training people? who their favorite fighters are? etc,,,,if they open up to you a little they will notice you more and be more likely to help you..people who like you more help you more..

Thank them when you leave and tell them when you'll see them next...

What type of gym are you going to? What are your goals?

Make sure those 2 match up?

Extreme example: are you going to a hard core fighters gym (i.e competitive team, Golden Gloves,...) and looking for a cardio workout?

Dedicado said:
If he was working the focus mitts with you, then he was giving you instruction. Many trainers/coaches at a busy gym will not waste time with a guy untill that man shows desire to learn. The attitude is: "why teach you now, when you'll proly quit in two weeks anyway?"
This isn't such a great attitude from the perspective of the new student, and it proly costs the gym alot of students in the long run. In the short run, it allows the coach to work with guys that have shown the desire to train.
Ask yourself, if I can't skip for five rounds, how will I ever fight for 2?
Skipping works your coordination, arm endurance and cardio. It's a fundamental skill in boxing, everyone does it. So do it, and love it.
Heavy bag: this is your place to shine. Hit that sucker fast, full power, for as many rounds as you can handle. Work on fast, powerful combos of whatever punches you know. The louder the sound the more attention you'll get. Skip lots, work hard, do what they tell you, hit that bag like an animal, that'll get their attention for sure. Do it for a couple weeks, be the first one in the gym and the last one to leave, I garuntee, they will notice that, if nothing else. If they still don't give you instruction after this, pm me, and I'll give you another tip. Peace, man.

well looks like you pointed me in the right direction. time to hit that heavy bag and rope!

Dedicado said:

I've been to a couple of boxing gyms that appeared to have that attitude, which is pretty much the main reason I didn't keep training at those places.
Though I've found that places that do kickboxing much more likely to help out the new guys.
I guess if you only want to do pure boxing the only choice is to stick around.

^ If you want to do pure boxing with good technique, the only choice is to stick around

Is this a "real" boxing gym or somewhere soccer moms go to lose weight..that may be your problem!

My first couple classes started out the same way. Stick with it, they will eventually get to you.

a friend of mine said the same thing happened to him... he showed up all the time, trained hard by himself and eventually got the attention he wanted... a year later or so he was having his first amatuer bout.

so do boxing gyms offer organized classes or even private lessons or is it just a place you show up too and hopefully get some attention?

Back