What to eat if you live in Hotels

thebrodstar

White Belt
Reaction score
I travel non stop and my diet during these times really is not great. What choices would you guys make if you were on the road. I am 213 lbs and trying to get to 175lbs any advice.

Be thankful you don't have to tidy up after yourself first thing.

Do they have fridges? If they have fridges I'd go for milk and get some meat cut from the supermarket so you can always have meat + bread or salad...

If not, that beef jerky stuff you can buy from petrol stations and the like, some of em also stock those chicken on a stick things which don't taste like crap and have some protein. To be honest I'd be pretty stuck without a fridge. If you get one of those cool bag things, and fill it up with ice packs, it can keep stuff cold for a day or so if you need to, which is fine for your milk etc.

Protein shakes & something like musclemilk to get a lot of calories.

Are you talking about eating your own food in your room or eating at a hotel restaraunt/room service? Nearly every hotel has a morning buffet with eggs, milk, fruit, veggies, etc. Also, for lunch and dinner, you can get meat and vegetables at just about any restaraunt. If you want a snack then just bring protein powder and a shaker with you everywhere you go. Just add milk or water.

rotisserie chickens from the local supermarket

Be thankful you don't have to tidy up after yourself first thing.

Do they have fridges? If they have fridges I'd go for milk and get some meat cut from the supermarket so you can always have meat + bread or salad...

If not, that beef jerky stuff you can buy from petrol stations and the like, some of em also stock those chicken on a stick things which don't taste like crap and have some protein. To be honest I'd be pretty stuck without a fridge. If you get one of those cool bag things, and fill it up with ice packs, it can keep stuff cold for a day or so if you need to, which is fine for your milk etc.

Protein shakes & something like musclemilk to get a lot of calories.

that's actually terrible advice.

well not terrible, but it doesn't really apply to what the thread starter was asking. he's LIVING out of hotels. so milk, jerky and MM aren't going to cut it.

to thebrodstar:

if you have a choice of where youc an stay, chose places like extended stay or similar places that provide you with a stove and fridge. then just figure out a nice meal plan and learn how to cook the appropriate meals.

also. if you are forced to eat out a lot, pick good restaurants and just remember that most places will cook up what you want. If your meals are expensed, then pretty much any item on the menu can be ordered al a carte ("i want the salmon fillet from #41 and the vegetables from #20) and cooked the way you want then. restaurants use a LOT of butter during cooking, so request how you want it cooked.

i think berardi has touched on this before (eating on the road) and there may even be threads about it buried somewhere on this forum, but you can even make good choices at McDonalds.

if work is picking up the tab, then get the buffet at your hotel, fresh fruit and eggs every morning sounds great (stay away from waffles and other trash though). If not then option 2 is hitting up a grocery store and buying food as normal, except in small portions. tuna sandwiches will be your friend, and spinach salads with cottage cheese are easy to make.

If you are on the go and different hotel most nights, then bringing stuff with you is a good bet. I would fill a waterbottle or jug or something up full with protein / greens+ / blender'ed oatmeal / almonds and whatever other good stuff you have and *dont add water*. Then whenever you want a shake just pour out some of the mixture into a seperate glass/ water bottle and drink. it's lightweight, easy to transport, and will keep for a while. It's not great but its better than subway.

Other than that think of any other dried healthy foods you can eat on the go. Venison Jerky (not storebought crap), those packets of tuna (not cans if you're travelling), and almonds spring to mind.

that's actually terrible advice.

well not terrible, but it doesn't really apply to what the thread starter was asking. he's LIVING out of hotels. so milk, jerky and MM aren't going to cut it.

My bad. I'll run along as I have NO ideas for the 24/7 living out of hotels lol...

I travel non stop and my diet during these times really is not great. What choices would you guys make if you were on the road. I am 213 lbs and trying to get to 175lbs any advice.

Find salads man, chicken salads, steak tip salads, etc etc, at nicer places (better greens).

Wake up early and do pushups, standing squats, and crunches, with little rest between, while chugging water. Do this before you hit the hotel breakfast, which should include eggs and fruit like a previous poster said. Lay OFF the shitty shit like muffins/bagels.

And completely ignore the poster earlier up that mentioned beef jerky from gas stations and whatnot...

Oh so that's how people up their post counts...

I have over 3000 posts in this subforum consisting of nothing other than 'Eat your yolks, scumbag!' and 'Chocolate is my favourite flavour.'

I have over 3000 posts in this subforum consisting of nothing other than 'Eat your yolks, scumbag!' and 'Chocolate is my favourite flavour.'

I am learning of the ways of Sherdog. Does that now mean that everywhere there is potential for it, I will be trying to beat you to post "eat your yolks" & "I like chocolate" first?

Or is it perfectly reasonable for you to post said yolk quote and then for me to follow up immediately with the same?

:icon_chee

Thanks.

I am learning of the ways of Sherdog. Does that now mean that everywhere there is potential for it, I will be trying to beat you to post "eat your yolks" & "I like chocolate" first?

Or is it perfectly reasonable for you to post said yolk quote and then for me to follow up immediately with the same?

:icon_chee

Thanks.

it's perfectly reasonable for you to quote my post and type 'QFT', along with an amusing egg-related anecdote

I'm away from home at least 6 months out of the year. You can find something healthy at just about any restaurant if you're conscious of your choices and don't over eat when they give you extra large portions.

I've also traveled through airports with baggies of protein powders & pills. Security has never made an issue over it. I've done this with over a pound of whey and 100+ unlabeled pills without issue - to my surprise. Just keep the stuff dry and make sure it's in an appropriate container.

Don't forget to go out and enjoy the culture and diversity. I made that mistake for my first year and I really missed out.

Although I don't travel much, I do work at a resort where restaurants are a big part of our business. And, from a personal standpoint, lunch meetings are an everyday part of my life.

With that said, most restaurants can and are willing to prepare food in whatever manner you want. As mentioned by others above, be sure to specify how you want your grub cooked. Butter is indeed a heavily used staple in most kitchens... beware. For instance, even though the following is not on the menu, a few times each week I order grilled salmon with steamed veggies from one of our restaurants, prepared without butter or oil and no seasonings (I like to salt and pepper my own stuff).

In the end, though, if you have a choice and if you just don't want to deal with restaurants, then as Cooz mentioned you can opt for an extended stay establishment where you can store and cook your own food.

Hotel's generally have some sort of continental breakfast. Get some oatmeal, toss in some cinnamon and some packets of splenda (get it from the sugar packets for coffee), and some milk.

Lunch salads with oil and vinegar on the side are good. A chef's salad or some sort of grilled chicken salad are both good choices. Just make sure to ask for a smaller portion of cheese and the dressing on the side.

Dinner is similar. As others have said, grilled salmon or chicken is good, along with some steamed veggies. Stay away from the bread and the potatoes.

Don't be afraid to add musclemilk to your days for some extra calories in a pinch. It's portable and convenient.

Lastly, don't feel like you have to finish everything on your plate.

I know you asked for diet which others have covered, but since you are trying to lose weight I would pick up Ross Enamait's Never Gymless

Hotel's generally have some sort of continental breakfast. Get some oatmeal, toss in some cinnamon and some packets of splenda (get it from the sugar packets for coffee), and some milk.

Lunch salads with oil and vinegar on the side are good. A chef's salad or some sort of grilled chicken salad are both good choices. Just make sure to ask for a smaller portion of cheese and the dressing on the side.

Dinner is similar. As others have said, grilled salmon or chicken is good, along with some steamed veggies. Stay away from the bread and the potatoes.

Don't be afraid to add musclemilk to your days for some extra calories in a pinch. It's portable and convenient.

Lastly, don't feel like you have to finish everything on your plate.

Last sentence was a good tip.

Portions at restaurants are usually 2-3 servings in most instances...so if you eat half or the meal...be happy. eat the rest a couple of hours later.

Back