What to eat after running?

submerged88

The 88 refers to a car--not H H.
@Black
Reaction score
I want to lose some weight and I have taken up running. I am up to 4 miles and I run this in the morning before I have had anything to eat.

Most of the time, I will eat a mixed salad with meat for my meal after I am through running.

If my goal is to lose weight by burning fat, what are the best foods to eat after running?

if you want to lose weight and run just get a sauna suit and run then i like to eat a mrp then go to work and when im tring ot lose alot real quick i run then put water in my mouth then spit it out and only eat some tuna and a fruit during the day and at night eat a good casien protein and go to bed you will lose some weight on this diet i do it for 2 days and then eat really clean for 3 days and do it again and it works pretty good for me to lose some pounds quick....

POINT312 said:
if you want to lose weight and run just get a sauna suit and run then i like to eat a mrp then go to work and when im tring ot lose alot real quick i run then put water in my mouth then spit it out and only eat some tuna and a fruit during the day and at night eat a good casien protein and go to bed you will lose some weight on this diet i do it for 2 days and then eat really clean for 3 days and do it again and it works pretty good for me to lose some pounds quick....

Don't use that sauna suit, it will only make you lose more water weight which you'll put back on as soon as you rehydrate yourself. It will also make the run more uncomfortable for you.

Get a good, full sized meal in.....

Assuming your running right in the morning, you need to start off the day with a good meal to get your metabolism working.

Eating a piece of lettuce and a rice cracker will not help you.

POINT312 said:
That's pretty terrible advice.

POINT312 said:

Never take advice from people who can't even punctuate.

/grammarnazi

BITCHFUCKINGOATSPIGSHITMONKEYTWAT!!!!11!!

POINT312 said:
This might be the worst advice given on this forum...

Revok said:
BITCHFUCKINGOATSPIGSHITMONKEYTWAT!!!!11!!
Do I mix the oats and twat at a 2:1 ratio?

Threadstarter, did you READ THE STICKIES?

Always remeber if you run before eating anything in the morning you'll be catabolic and will actually be burning a signifint amount of musce which will result if you gainiong bodyfat%

Qester said:
Always remeber if you run before eating anything in the morning you'll be catabolic and will actually be burning a signifint amount of musce which will result if you gainiong bodyfat%

i thought you eliminated that catabolism if u ate soon after you got back ?

I think the catabolisation will occur due to lack of aminos in the blood stream, hence breaking down of muscle during the run.

Having aminos or protein after the run will only stop catabolisation from continuing

Thats my take on it anyway

Ian Coe said:
I think the catabolisation will occur due to lack of aminos in the blood stream, hence breaking down of muscle during the run.

Having aminos or protein after the run will only stop catabolisation from continuing

Thats my take on it anyway

hmmm, interesting...

I usually eat somthing like an orange before I do my run/hill sprints in the morning and then as soon as I get back in I pump back about 24 g's of Protein.

How significant of a lose am I looking at in terms of Muscle?

Would you recommend that I get the protein shake in me before the run..wait an hour then go?

Since you're hellbent on not reading the stickies, a meal would generally consist of a lean protein sorce(protein shake) and a fruit/vegetable(orange) plus some healthy fats like fish oil. Pretty much the same thing you should eat after the workout, except add a complex carb like oats(since your body processes carbs better after working out). Protein+fruit/vegetables+healthy fat=good nutrition.

As an example, before I go to MA classes in the morning, I have a shake that consists of whey, a banana, and flaxseed oil. Afterwards, I have eggs/whites, oats, blueberries, and some fish oil caps. Sometimes, I'll have some whey mixed with gatorade immediately after a truly taxing workout.

The real question is, what are you eating the other 14-16 hours a day? And what kind of routine are you working on to burn bodyfat? Any weights, plyos, sprint intervals? Are you losing weight for vanity purposes, for sports performance purposes, for cutting down a weight class?

Envy said:
So which is it? Do you eat an orange or nothing before your run? Do have a protein shake or a mixed sald afterwards?

You quoted two different people, dude :D

If we're veering into the old pros and cons of pre-breakfast cardio debate, this T-Nation article has a lot of advice...

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=835725

Envy has it straight when he asks what are you eating the rest of the day. Muscle won't fall off overnight, particularly if you're eating properly. Personally I quite enjoy an easy 45 minute run when I get up (though I'd save HIIT for later in the day) and it's never impeded my gains or caused any precipitous LBM loss.

Back