What to bring to 1st Kenpo Class

E

EclipseAgent

Ok, well I signed up for a Kenpo class..

I have done Boxing, Kickboxing, Wrestling and Greco Roman Wrestling, but have NO idea what I bring to a Martial Arts class..

What should I bring? This is my first class, an introductory class.

I would say just come dressed ready to work out like you would for kickboxing, and I'm sure they'll let you know any special stuff you need on the first day.

MunchE said:
I would say just come dressed ready to work out like you would for kickboxing, and I'm sure they'll let you know any special stuff you need on the first day.

Yeah that was my plan. I was going to wear some loose fitted sweats or go in with my standard loose fit surf shorts (damn californians).

It is a Tracy Kenpo class.. I am pretty excited, my first real Martial Arts (Although some consider American Kickboxing a Martial Art, but me.. nope.. not at all).

Thanks for the input.. I'm nervous as hell right now, afraid someone is going to do some Crane crap on my ass. JK.

First 4 classes are private 1 on 1 introductory classes. So I think i'll be ok.

You will probably get a gi, And dont worry about getting ko'ed that wont happen right away.
They will probably go over certain forms and basics, like bowing and other stuff.

chopperj said:
You will probably get a gi, And dont worry about getting ko'ed that wont happen right away.
They will probably go over certain forms and basics, like bowing and other stuff.

From what i've read, you do not get a Gi right away (dunno if that is a standard thing or what not).

I figured the "Introductory" 4 private lessons were going to be about stuff like you mentioned. Bowing, Etiquiate, rules etc.

I am digging the Black Gi though.

SSF said:
shorts and a t-shirt will be fine. Have fun.

www.SSFgear.com

Get a couple rashguards and some board shorts if they allow it or get a Gi and you should be set along with the usuals of course, Gatorade or water, towel, etc. And make sure you buy your MMA stuff from reputable companies, see my sig! Tried and tested!

Man, that was fun.

I have to say, I am really suprised of what Kenpo had to offer. What I always have heard is use Karate etc as a "Self Defense tool" this instructor told me to NEVER let the guy strike first WHOA, now that is what I like, just like boxing all over again.

Was only a short 30 minute introductory class, to determine if I want to join or not, but im hooked already.

My next class is on Thursday at 5pm w000t :)

Oh.. all I wore was a Tank Top, and some shorts. w000t.

(Now I really got to get my flexability back DOH!)

Well, I'm gald you had a good time. Stick with it if you like it.

Back