• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What "poor peoples food" do you guys enjoy

I get the plain thin crust. Then I add grated parm, red pepper flakes, EVOO, and garlic powder. I think it comes out crispy and is decent for the price. I’m really picky when it comes to pizza having grown up in an area which has amazing pizza. This is the best pizza for the price imo.

I love Wegmans. It’s great compared to the grocery stores I have locally right now. It shits on Shop Rite, Aldi, and Acme. The selection and quality is not comparable. Costco is pretty good but it’s hard to shop there when you shop for only 1 person. So whenever I drive up north I stop at Wegmans.
There are two different plain thin crusts varieties. One of them is Wegmans Italian Classic and the other is just Wegmans. I only had the latter. What I don't like about Wegmans is that they really push their own brand name on things even though most of it's not really theirs. For instance, all the chicken offerings they have that say Wegmans really comes from Tyson or Bell and Evans. Their Wegmans pork actually comes from Hormel. They put their name on it so they can charge more. It's funny watching them pull Wegmans named items out of boxes that say Tyson or Hormel or Bell and Evans.

There are two different plain thin crusts varieties. One of them is Wegmans Italian Classic and the other is just Wegmans. I only had the latter. What I don't like about Wegmans is that they really push their own brand name on things even though most of it's not really theirs. For instance, all the chicken offerings they have that say Wegmans really comes from Tyson or Bell and Evans. Their Wegmans pork actually comes from Hormel. They put their name on it so they can charge more. It's funny watching them pull Wegmans named items out of boxes that say Tyson or Hormel or Bell and Evans.
I have Bell and Evans chicken in my fridge right now from Wegmans. It only says Bell and Evans on the package. Never had an issue with that.

I didn't know French Onion Soup was poor people food. Turns out I'm a regular man of the people, Chris. Who'd-a-thunk-it?

Yes sir it's a good cheap meal...all though you could argue with the current price of cheese that it's a delicacy

Also its good to see ya. I got a hell of a life update for ya too. I had a baby boy a week ago.

Pretty much everything I eat is poor people food.....

Potato or rice
Beans (made from dried beans for extra poverty level)
Steamed or roasted veggies
Onions, garlic
Some type of protein (chicken leg quarters are like 1 dollar per each and are a ton of meat).

Mix it all together and it's like 10 dollars that can stretch three days.

1703101933465.png

Last edited:
Poor American version of “goulash”. Basically hobo stew. Ground beef with any old canned veggies and some broth. Took 30 years to find out what real goulash was, and wonder how all these moms were sooo very far off.

+1

I didn't have real Hungarian gulyas until I was stationed in Hungary in my mid 20's and it blew my mind because it's fucking delicious - up there with the best damn beef stew period. But for some reason, outside of Hungary, "goulash" is just tomato soup with shitty ground beef.

Pretty much everything I eat is poor people food.....

Potato or rice
Beans (made from dried beans for extra poverty level)
Steamed or roasted veggies
Onions, garlic
Some type of protein (chicken leg quarters are like 1 dollar per each and are a ton of meat).

Mix it all together and it's like 10 dollars that can stretch three days.

They need you in the childhood obesity rising thread. That shit is cheap and healthy. Maybe teach a few folks in there.

+1

I didn't have real Hungarian gulyas until I was stationed in Hungary in my mid 20's and it's fucking delicious - like up there with the best damn beef stew period. But for some reason, outside of Hungary, "goulash" is just tomato soup with shitty ground beef.
Oh god yes. Real pork goulash is insanely good, and I had it first in a German restaurant that made it correctly. I later learned....
So where did the fake nonsense get started???? I thought only cheap Murican moms made it like that, and called it that too. Did Hungarians real dirty imo.

Oh god yes. Real pork goulash is insanely good, and I had it first in a German restaurant that made it correctly. I later learned....
So where did the fake nonsense get started???? I thought only cheap Murican moms made it like that, and called it that too. Did Hungarians real dirty imo.

In the U.S. I think "goulash" has a negative connotation of being poor people food - like a bunch of cheap bullshit made into a stew. Not sure how Hungarians got done dirty like that but may have something to do with immigration patterns over the past 100 years. As I understand it, the term "honky" as a racial slur possibly originated in reference to poor Hungarian immigrants in the early 20th century. Maybe they made a crappy version of their national stew and numbnutz 'Muricans thought that's what gulyas is supposed to be.

Last edited:
not necessarily poor people food but my mom ussed to make THE best meat loaf eva!
I roll out a mix of beef and sausage, make like a rectangle, put ham and cheese on it, roll it up and wrap it in bacon and put it in a loaf pan. its great too if you then roll that in ground up seasoned crackers

Croissants from a tube, stuffed with cheese and pepperoni crusted in parmasean. Granted today I now use top shelf (Italian fiance approved) cheese, pepperoni and parm, as opposed to the cheapest shit I could find back in my E-3 days...gotta save that money for booze and nicotine...

Biscuits and gravy. It's one of those things I love that tastes better at a greasy spoon type diner, than a fancy breakfast/brunch joint.

Plain assed ground beef flour soft shelled "white people tacos"

BBQ, which is actually no longer food for the poor because of demand..

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
romanych
Back