What next for GGG and Canelo

BillytheFish

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What is the next move after this bout?
A potential 3rd? GGG to retire?
Who is likely Canelo’s next opponent?

As a GGG fan it'd be really cool to see him retire undefeated and never being knocked out or dropped, I bet they both will keep fighting though. I think bjs-andrade winner for the winner of this one and a tune up for the loser while Charlo and Jacobs go at it. I think both guys will take a significant amount of time off after this one too.

I can see what is in it for Danny Jacobs but not GGG? It is a dangerous move for GGG, esp coming off a superfight
The 3 of them are fighting any and everyone. If Golovkin does win and doesnt look completely washed up I certainly can see him giving Jacobs another go. If he looks well past it then I wouldnt expect him to.

Canelo has already had discussions with him as well.

The 3 of them are fighting any and everyone. If Golovkin does win and doesnt look completely washed up I certainly can see him giving Jacobs another go. If he looks well past it then I wouldnt expect him to.

Canelo has already had discussions with him as well.

This is where unified champs get fucked. Jacobs is there, probably winning the IBF belt that he refused to fight for 1.5 years ago, more money is that fight, but Charlo, who is a nobody by comparison, is the WBC mandatory. GGG will get judged, like all top boxers do.

I don't know his next option, win or loss against Canelo. I just know that judgment is swift.

I can see Golovkin retiring, win or lose. Canelo will still have plenty of money to make regardless of result, as well (if he wins the money will be much better, though, obviously. If we get a really close fight that Canelo shades on the cards, I could see a trilogy. Could be too much money for Golovkin to pass up.

If only Golovkin were a few years younger and Jacobs a couple of pounds lighter. Seeing Danny, Canelo, and Golovkin battle it out for middleweight supremacy over the next few years would've been a sight to see.

I can see Golovkin retiring, win or lose. Canelo will still have plenty of money to make regardless of result, as well (if he wins the money will be much better, though, obviously. If we get a really close fight that Canelo shades on the cards, I could see a trilogy. Could be too much money for Golovkin to pass up.

I said something similar in another post. I'd put good odds on him retiring. He's accomplished a lot, and this fight will net him more money than any future non-Canelo bout stands to earn him. A rematch is the other possible option, but I think he's getting old enough that taking other hard fights before another potential megafight isn't in the cards for him.

I see him retiring after the Canelo fight, win, lose or draw. I suppose if he lost he could be drawn into a third and final match with Canelo for pride as much as money. But I don't think he wants to fight Jacobs again, too hard and not enough money in it. I hope he wins and then goes out with a bang. He'll have beaten Hopkins record of MW title defences and beaten his nemesis in the process.

I see him retiring after the Canelo fight, win, lose or draw. I suppose if he lost he could be drawn into a third and final match with Canelo for pride as much as money. But I don't think he wants to fight Jacobs again, too hard and not enough money in it. I hope he wins and then goes out with a bang. He'll have beaten Hopkins record of MW title defences and beaten his nemesis in the process.

To be somewhat biased, I don't think too many people will count his WBA regular belt defenses when it's said and done. Not that it particularly matters in the end. Few would rate Hopkins' record streak ahead of Hagler's or Monzon's, despite the quantity. I don't see anyone rating Golovkin's reign ahead of any of them, but he has secured himself as a top 10 MW all time, without a doubt, and he's not miles off from the top 5.

This is where unified champs get fucked. Jacobs is there, probably winning the IBF belt that he refused to fight for 1.5 years ago, more money is that fight, but Charlo, who is a nobody by comparison, is the WBC mandatory. GGG will get judged, like all top boxers do.

I don't know his next option, win or loss against Canelo. I just know that judgment is swift.
Absolutely. Thats why I put basically zero weight on the belts after they have unified. You cant really defend all of them at once because each org wants to pretend theyre bigger/better than the other.

Hoping Golovkin wins by TKO on Saturday. Then goes on to unify the belts against BJS next year.

To be somewhat biased, I don't think too many people will count his WBA regular belt defenses when it's said and done. Not that it particularly matters in the end. Few would rate Hopkins' record streak ahead of Hagler's or Monzon's, despite the quantity. I don't see anyone rating Golovkin's reign ahead of any of them, but he has secured himself as a top 10 MW all time, without a doubt, and he's not miles off from the top 5.

I think one train of thought is that GGG was being criminally avoided by the belt holder at the time, while he did have the standard title, and he was taking any fight he could while he was the regular champ, so that kind of reflects poorly on the super champ. That doesn't have to mean people don't count it, or do count it, but it's a gigantic asterisk. How is the mandatory (regular, gah, WBA can be frickin annoying) supposed to show his stuff when the super champ is ducking him? Like, clear duck, no way to spin it.

It's worth mentioning, as an aside not an argument - that all those names needed smaller guys to go up in weight to define them.

Hagler needed Duran, Hearns, and Leonard
Hopkins needed Trinidad and De La Hoya as his big names at MW
Monzon, too - Griffith and Napoles really helped cement Monzon

I am not diminishing these guys, to make GGG look good. It's kinda tough to evaluate GGG until his career settles. I've already seen some people kindly revisit Wlad already (not in some hyperbolic way, but in the way hindsight makes you think again), even though the HW's now are more entertaining. I think all of them - Monzon, Hagler, Hopkins, and maybe Golovkin (we'll give it time, maybe not) could beat one another on any given night; some having a better chance than another due to stylistic clashes.

I just think it's interesting that sometimes bigger guys that are on a tear, need the smaller guys with brass balls to step up so that the recognition they deserve finally comes along.

The ped cheat drops back to his true weight class 154 and gets exposed

GGG retires as boxings greatest fighter who was a killer but benevolent at the same time
Leaving a legacy for old timers to say how he let fighters hit him and how he sometimes didn't want to hurt them

Class act

Fair enough points. I guess I bought into the hype that Hopkins did by making a big deal that his record could go to GGG and that would make him sad.

Fair enough points. I guess I bought into the hype that Hopkins did by making a big deal that his record could go to GGG and that would make him sad.

As big a fan as I am of Hopkins as a fighter, he's always been something of a crazy person, and that's not getting better with age.

I think one train of thought is that GGG was being criminally avoided by the belt holder at the time, while he did have the standard title, and he was taking any fight he could while he was the regular champ, so that kind of reflects poorly on the super champ. That doesn't have to mean people don't count it, or do count it, but it's a gigantic asterisk. How is the mandatory (regular, gah, WBA can be frickin annoying) supposed to show his stuff when the super champ is ducking him? Like, clear duck, no way to spin it.

It's worth mentioning, as an aside not an argument - that all those names needed smaller guys to go up in weight to define them.

Hagler needed Duran, Hearns, and Leonard
Hopkins needed Trinidad and De La Hoya as his big names at MW
Monzon, too - Griffith and Napoles really helped cement Monzon

I am not diminishing these guys, to make GGG look good. It's kinda tough to evaluate GGG until his career settles. I've already seen some people kindly revisit Wlad already (not in some hyperbolic way, but in the way hindsight makes you think again), even though the HW's now are more entertaining. I think all of them - Monzon, Hagler, Hopkins, and maybe Golovkin (we'll give it time, maybe not) could beat one another on any given night; some having a better chance than another due to stylistic clashes.

I just think it's interesting that sometimes bigger guys that are on a tear, need the smaller guys with brass balls to step up so that the recognition they deserve finally comes along.
Excellent observation and to an extent Canelo has done that to GGG

Excellent observation and to an extent Canelo has done that to GGG

Yeah, hands down the biggest name among those that moved up, but it really started with a gutsy welter named Kell Brook. Look at the fights that happened after Kell said "damn the torpedoes" and dared to be great. So, while Canelo is the biggest name, and I would say the biggest threat to Golovkin (I dunno, Danny, when he is on point, is as legit a threat, I say), it all started with little Kell.

Canelo vs GGG 3 only this time GGG eats mexican meat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back