What movies have not aged well?

Most movies from the mid 90s to mid 2000s, especially SciFi.

1. In the mid 90s people felt we had officially entered the "cool" modern age, full of computers, techno, hip hop and rollerblades but there wasn't really a comprehensive identity to a lot of these movies because no one really knew where we stood and where we were headed socially and technologically (edit: that's at least my explanation for the below trainwrecks).
And the result ranged between fucking goofy and straight bizarre:
- Hackers
- The Joel Schumacher Batman movies
- The Net
- Judge Dredd
- Alien: Resurrection
- Street Fighter (WTF man)

2. The focus shifted too much towards special effects, sacrificing substance, but at a point when the technology hadn't matured enough. Notably all these disaster movies.

Look at Blade Runner, The Thing, Alien on the other hand, timeless. These movies knew exactly what they were supposed to be and due to that didn't rely on special effects which is why you can still watch them.

Last edited:
Everything pre 1980 imo, except Jaws. Jaws is sensational. The rest are garbage.

Common man...
  • Alien
  • Deer Hunter
  • Deliverance
  • Taxi Driver
  • Clockwork Orange
  • Apocalypse Now
  • Godfather 1 & 2
  • Werner Herzog's stuff
Literally all these movies have aged extremely well. And that's just a fraction of legendary 70s movies. There's still Akira Kurosawa and Charlie Chaplin in the early 1900s...

I agree. People complaining about Scarface (1983) obviously want that modern teen version re--make with Taylor Lautner, that has been kicking around Hollywood, to be made.

Scarface is an absolute classic. Pacino fucking nailed it. You know how good it was? Colombian drug criminals started using the term Ya-Yo for coke after seeing the movie.

I love the film but it's completely dated. Everything about it reeks of the eighties style of film making.

I'm not as ancient as you, but I'm old enough to remember when everyone in the world loved that film, and I've seen it slip further and further away from the public eye. Fewer and fewer young people are watching it. It doesn't need to be Nouveau Bad to continue being popular, it has to have a more universal, timeless appeal. Considering all the things it does right it SHOULD have that, but it doesn't.

scarface-re-release.jpg

lol u fucking kiddin.me ?

The live action Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

2 and 3 sure, especially 3. The 1st one however, is shockingly good. It's leagues better than the cgi dumpster fires that got released a few years back.

in most James Bond movies w/ Connery or Moore, and almost all Westerns...

dude's blatantly committed Sexual Assault

the old 'kiss you until you like it' move that Eastwood also routinely pulled out

Eastwood in High Plains Drifter straight up rapes a girl early in the movie. Pretty embarrassing

That's a weird one... when it came out it was a big deal and it broke box office records. Today, no one talks about it... there are no references to it... no one cares about it... it's almost like it never happened.

I have no clue why.

Because it was shit ?

Most movies from the mid 90s to mid 2000s, especially SciFi.

1. In the mid 90s people felt we had officially entered the "cool" modern age, full of computers, techno, hip hop and rollerblades but there wasn't really a comprehensive identity to a lot of these movies because no one could really predict where we stood and where we were headed socially and technologically.
And the result ranged between fucking goofy to straight bizarre:
- Hackers
- The Joel Schumacher Batman movies
- The Net
- Judge Dredd
- Alien: Resurrection
- Street Fighter (WTF man)

2. The focus shifted too much towards special effects, sacrificing substance, but at a point when the technology hadn't matured enough. Notably all these disaster movies.

Look at Blade Runner, The Thing, Alien on the other hand, timeless. These movies knew exactly what they were supposed to be and due to that didn't rely on special effects which is why you can still watch them.

"Xtreme" culture generally has dated very badly although honestly it was always pretty uncool even at the time as pointed out by Poochie on the Simpsons.

For all the talk of "Reagan actioners" I actually think it was when Clinton got in that Hollywood lost its balls, during the Reagan/Bush years even pulpier stuff like Robocop, Running Man or Total Recall had a pretty strong anti establishment tone. By the mid 90's though things shifted to bland CGI fests sucking off the US military like ID4 or teenage rebellion like Hackers without much real substance.

Last edited:
Michael Caine was tapping his own niece. Strange movie but that girl was irresistable

i saw that movie as a kid and was already aroused by that girl.
mind you.this was like 32 ya but iirc it was her bests friend daughter, not his niece.

The first X-Men film. It seemed awesome when it first came out, but it is eclipsed by the comic book films that have been released since, and is no where's near as good in comparison.
I disagree. I think xmen 1 was one of the best marvel films by far.

As much as I truly love Kickboxer and Bloodsport and always will I can't help but chuckle many times when I watch them now though because of how dated they truly are. Still love them with all my heart though.

Back