What makes up a STRONG chin ???

Banana Man

White Belt
Reaction score
In your opinion? I know what it is, such as the ability to withstand strong and powerful shots without getting rocked or knocked out, but do you believe it's something natural that you are born with or something skill related?

Only very few fighters have a granite chin, such as BJ Penn. Is there any way to build a good chin?

Most of it is natural.

You can not just all of a sudden have a good chin. You can learn to slip/roll punches though

True ability to absorb damage is genetic. There are ways to roll with punches, or be better prepared for the punches, but someone like BJ, Hendo, or Hunt, that's just genetic.

Heart and conscious effort take a part. I've been KO'd once and almost another time.

1st time I got hit in the jaw on a line drive by a baseball when i was pitching. It hit me in the jaw, i went down immediately. I was conscious for a second and once i felt the pain i went out. New found owner of a plate and three fake teeth.

2nd time i got sucker punched in a fight, clean touched to the jaw saw stars just like a saw when i got hit by the baseball. Only thing that went through my head was "get the fuck up or you'll be curb stomped." i got up on wobbly legs and fought back.

Long story short, your "chin strength" really has a lot to do with conscious effort.

Heart and conscious effort take a part. I've been KO'd once and almost another time.

1st time I got hit in the jaw on a line drive by a baseball when i was pitching. It hit me in the jaw, i went down immediately. I was conscious for a second and once i felt the pain i went out. New found owner of a plate and three fake teeth.

2nd time i got sucker punched in a fight, clean touched to the jaw saw stars just like a saw when i got hit by the baseball. Only thing that went through my head was "get the fuck up or you'll be curb stomped." i got up on wobbly legs and fought back.

Long story short, your "chin strength" really has a lot to do with conscious effort.

Yeah but I think you passed out from the pain in the first case, not really a KO.
If the blow is too strong you simply pass out immediately.

This

0.jpg

and this

Monk-kick-balls.jpg

It's an extension of your will, and determination, plus you need the genes of a cowboy.

Yeah but I think you passed out from the pain in the first case, not really a KO.
If the blow is too strong you simply pass out immediately.

i should also add that my legs went out from under me immediately both times. Herb dean would've ran over me waving both times.

Seeing the punch coming...... Most of time when people get KO'd its from a punch they never saw coming...

I don't know about any of that other scientific stuff but I know almost any fighter can KO anybody with a 100% power shot, but some styles just don't permit for such shots and then it is usually once again from a shot they never saw coming.... Just my .02

Someone like Shogun, who took multiple H-Bombs and went on to win the closing rounds.

Dude you got touched by teh jab?

Skied backwards into a tree. Never saw it coming. Full speed collision between the back of my head and the trunk of the tree.
Out cold, massive concussion... and any marginal physical contact to my head can lead to headaches.

I know first hand that concussions get worse each successive time, and that it becomes progressively easier to get knocked out

-

Back