What is your instructor like?

He Man

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Is he passive? Or is he enthusiatic and involved? Does he go around and observe his student's mistakes and then teach them how to fix them? Or does he let everyone figure it out through trial and error on their own? Does he show everyone the same techniques?

And in also in general, what is your instructor like overall?

Is he passive? Or is he enthusiatic and involved? Does he go around and observe his student's mistakes and then teach them how to fix them? Or does he let everyone figure it out through trial and error on their own? Does he show everyone the same techniques?

And in also in general, what is your instructor like overall?

I have 4 separate instructors right now.

The intro class is taught by 2 different guy (one on Monday, one on Wednesday). The regular class is taught by a 3rd guy and the sparring & Saturday classes are taught by a 4th guy.

Monday: Quiet and somewhat reserved. However, he walks around to each group and does corrections. He's also always ready to come over if you have a question. He teaches the basics & does so in "fun" ways a lot of time. So when working on full guard he'll have drills to work on different aspects. (e.g. Pull your oppenent down to you just with your legs.)

Wednesday: Fairly technical. He also walks around to each group and will stop and correct little things "Move that foot out more. Slide your hips more this way." Very encouraging and does a good job letting you know when you've got it.

Regular class: Laid back. Likes to show a lot of things from tournament settings. He'll say "Some guys like to get in this position here, but what you'll see a lot of the times is something more modified like this." He also comes around and requests to see each student do the move before moving on to the next one. He likes to joke around some as well. A few weeks back I said "Thanks for the class sir."
"You're welcome, but please don't call me sir."
"Ok, Sir, I won't. Sir."
"I can tell I'm going to like you."

Sparring and Saturday: Relaxed & deliberate. The warmups we'll do relate specifically to the technique he's teaching. Maybe it's some kind of back-step up & down the mat, and then he uses that same back-step while passing a position. He does a good job of making sure everyone is getting it, although he doesn't usually walk around much. He seems to be able to see everything no matter where he is on the matt.

the main instructor is a cool guy that is enthusiastic about jiu jitsu and lives it in his life. he spreads the joy of it in his teaching and is fun to be around. he makes everyone feel like they are succeeding in their own ways.

Depends on which instructor I'm talking about. The main instructor at my academy, Mauricio Zingano, has a very aggressive, fast style of jiu jitsu. He rarely lets you get position on him, and instead opts for more of a "this is what a good black belt can do to you, best of luck" type of approach, which I like. In fact, I wish I had more opportunities to roll with him. The other three BB instructors at my school all have very different styles. One is very flow-y and controlled, one has a very MG-like game and one is a bit bigger and will crush the life out of you with incredibly heavy passing and side control. We're fortunate be able to get different looks from so many high-level practitioners.

my main instructor used to be hardcore when he 1st arrived from brazil. training was intense and felt like a boot camp. he toned it down and isnt as harsh with his students, trainings are still hard As hell though.. my other instructor jokes around alot but when competition class comes, he kicks everone's ass

both are them are similar. very laid back, easy to work with and willing to take plenty of time to help you get something right. great instructors and i couldnt be any happier with them.

my head instructor/owner is a great guy. he truly believes in what he teaches and takes incredible pride in the growth of all of his students. he encourages the feelings of accomplishment, but never lets us be satisfied. i'm one of his first students since he opened his gym and we have become good friends.

both of the main instructors I train with are very detail oriented and open minded, they walk around and make sure to see that you get the details of the technique correct. good, fun people off the mat as well.

My instructor is a really cool dude that is very detailed in showing us the techniques breaking them down step by step in a very analytical manner and explaining why instead of just showing us. I feel like he really wants me to improve and truly loves bjj instead of just doing it for the money.

Back