What is your favorite Doors studio album?

• The Soft Parade (1969)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other Voices (1971)

• Full Circle (1972)

• Total voters

Philo-Publius

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score

TheDoorsTheDoorsalbumcover.jpg

AlbumStrangeDays.jpg

The_Doors_-_Waiting_for_the_Sun.jpg

The_Doors_-_The_Soft_Parade.jpg

The_Doors_-_Morrison_Hotel.jpg

The_Doors_-_L.A._Woman.jpg

The_Doors_-_Other_Voices.jpg

The_Doors_-_Full_Circle.jpg

An_American_Prayer.jpeg

Like most people I flip between L.A Woman and Morrisson Hotel. They would've made a killer double album

Like most people I flip between L.A Woman and Morrisson Hotel. They would've made a killer double album

1. La woman
2. Morrison hotel
3. The doors
4. Waiting for the sun
5. Strange days
6. Soft parade

The other albums don't count because they're not Jim's albums

Waiting for the sun was the first album I listened to by the Doors, and it's probably my favorite still. And Love Street (from that album ...) is without doubt my favorite tune by the Doors, and one of my favorite tunes ever.

Strange Days is a close second.

The rest has its great songs, but as albums those are probably the only ones that I really love.

Last edited:
1. La woman
2. Morrison hotel
3. The doors
4. Waiting for the sun
5. Strange days
6. Soft parade

The other albums don't count because they're not Jim's albums

I have never listened to the albums that did not have Jim Morrison on them, but I figured I would include them for good measure. My ranking:

6. The Soft Parade (Touch Me is a badass song, but the only one that really stands out for me)
5. Strange Days
4. Waiting for the Sun (several great songs on this one)
3. Morrison Hotel (Roadhouse Blues, Peace Frog, Waiting for the Sun, and You Make Me Real...badass)
2. LA Woman (several great tunes)
1. The Doors (a great album from top to bottom with several classics)

Last edited:
I dig a lot of their stuff but for me.. LA Woman is where it’s at album wise. Great band that doesn’t seem to get as much attention nowadays as they did a while back.

LA Woman
Morrison hotel
Doors
Waiting for sun
Strange days
Soft parade

Favorite songs

1. LA Woman
2. Rider on the storm
3. Roadhouse blues
4. Gloria
5. People are strange

la woman for sure
but that other voices LP was made after Jimbo dieded
I saw the band play it in central park at the old schaeffer ice rink
concert venue.
ray was great on vocals on a few songs that were obviously written by Jim
but great show overall
QuickSiver Messenger Service was the co-bill

I love most of their music, and there are probably songs I like more than anything on LA Woman, but as an album I think LA Woman just edges it for me

If I had to grab one album off the shelf at any time, it would be that

But I love all of them

Not their best, but I’m partial to this one, my old man had it on the shelf I remember playing.

LA woman was the first doors tape I owned and they immediately became my favorite band for a long time
for me the top three are entirely interchanging
LA Woman
Morrison Hotel
Waiting for the sun

favorite songs are
Not to Touch the Earth
Wild Child
Hyacinth House
Ghost Song

PS American Prayer is also a tremendous recording and entirely unique with Jim recording the vocals for most of it in the form of his spoken poetry and the doors later putting music to it after his death, a project that I dont think has ever been replicated, it makes for a very iconic "last words last words last words.....out" for a true Rock God

fun fact.... Jim's father was a very high ranking officer in the navy and was in charge of the ship that was center in the gulf of tonkin incident that led america into the vietnam war

1.) Morrison Hotel
2.) L.A. Woman
3.) Strange Days
4.) Waiting for the Sun
5.) The Soft Parade
6.) The Doors

Probably the debut or LA woman but honestly I tend to think of them via songs rather than albums.

Waiting For The Sun is the most eclectic and uniquely 'The Doors' album, imo, so i think it's the best one, for that reason.

They've made blues songs that i like better than anything on WFTS, but that's just because i like blues. Blues is not their genuine flavour and there are a ton of artists who've done much better blues songs than anything The Doors could have ever concocted.
Even their best blues songs would have fared better in the hands of real blues musicians.

Their unique flavour, imo, is the strength of Jim's lyricism combined with (also primarily his) grungey mojo that blend into an otherworldly pulse, haunting and haunted, almost like musical voodoo.

Most of the songs on WFTS capture this otherworldly haunting, like

The Doors are one of my all time favorite bands and their debut is what got me into them. My favorite
85142641_10157415543612639_7790198246827098112_o.jpg

I love every one of them, but An American Prayer easily gets my vote.

The writing is incredible and Morrison is at his very best poetically.

I love every one of them, but An American Prayer easily gets my vote.

The writing is incredible and Morrison is at his very best poetically.
I was listening to that record the other night as I was in bed falling asleep.It's a damn good record even if a lot of people do not like it. I know long time Doors producer Paul A. Rothchild hates it with passion and called it "rape of Jim Morrison:" John Haeny the producer of the poetry sessions with Jim safeguarded the tapes and helped to produce An American Prayer with the remaining members. He insisted the album was made by those closest to Jim and that Jim would be pleased and would have appreciated the bands dedication and heartfelt handling of his work.

Back