What is your favorite BJJ / martial arts saying?

Oldguy

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Mine is …

“Take the move your opponent gives you, not the one you want to take.”

Rickson 1993

… you could make this your motto for all of life.

Last edited:
In all seriousness and despite being a very cheesy movie, Miyagi's pep talk to Danielsan in KKIII is awesome and just makes me tear up. OK lose to opponent, must not lose to fear!

Last edited:
"Very effective is o-goshi"
- Igor Yakimov

IMG_0926.jpeg

giphy.gif

"I don't care if you had a baseball bat in your hands, if you can claim to have defeated Georges St Pierre I consider you a badass."

-Frank Trigg in his lead up to the Serra fight.

Come to think of it, Serra has a bunch of gems. Like:

"People say it was a lucky punch...well, I'm pretty sure it was him I was aiming for so I don't know how you can call that lucky..."

Travis Lutter is the Michael Jordan of BJJ

"He accidentally hit his head against mine, and I got dizzy. I moved backwards, he punched me and I fell. That head was practically an accidental knockout."

- Roger Gracie

740full-king-mo.jpg

Sometimes you're the nail sometimes you're the hammer.

"Above all, such sports as judo, in my view, teach people to relate to each other. They teach us to respect a partner, teach us to understand that an externally weak partner can not only put up worthy resistance, but, if you relax and take too much for granted, may even win."

- Vladimir Putin

''Why would you ignore 50% of the body''

Danaher yapping about what Dean Lister said to him even if it was the only time in his life he saw him. Sometimes, just one sentence, from a man you only encounter once and to never see him again can have an astronomical effect on your life, bigger than you could imagine... (this can continue for a couple dozen sentences in the most monotone tone you can imagine)

''Why would you ignore 50% of the body''

Danaher yapping about what Dean Lister said to him even if it was the only time in his life he saw him. Sometimes, just one sentence, from a man you only encounter once and to never see him again can have an astronomical effect on your life, bigger than you could imagine... (this can continue for a couple dozen sentences in the most monotone tone you can imagine)
The "50% of the body" discussion actually started long before that. It pretty much began in modern BJJ as a back and forth between Eddie Bravo and Ken Shamrock when at the time Eddie discounted leg locks. I need to find a good quote from that conversation.

"Man who catch fly with chopstick, accomplish anything.”
I'm still not sure I understand the significance of this entire scene. Why is Daniel able to catch the fly when his master has been unable to for his lifetime?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biden's Diaper
Back