What is wrong??

LCDforMe

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I feel like I've hit a plateu or something and I've only been doing BJJ for like 4 months. Guys who joined 6 weeks ago made me tap tonight. I have been working on technique and I thought my game was really improving but for some reason, guys who are not very good are beating me. This plateu is pissing me off, I can usually hold my own with people better than me and dominate the newer guys if I wanted to (I never do though) and tonight I tried to beat the guy just to make sure I could and I couldn't. I feel like giving up.

I find my game improves the most after I feel I've plateued. Often I even feel that I've gotten worse, and then... bang, not only am I back on track, but I'm far above where I was before.

Stick through it, and look at it as a precurser to a growth spert. Just try to enjoy the training, and all will be fine.

Thanks for the kind words. I just hope that I haven't hit a brick wall and won't get back on track any time soon.

LCDforMe said:
Thanks for the kind words. I just hope that I haven't hit a brick wall and won't get back on track any time soon.
It's fairly normal. Your progress is never linear - you'll find ups, downs, flats & backslides.

You just have to keep training through this to get to the next level but it doesnt hurt to look at your game to figure our where you might be going wrong.

Talk to your instructor & have him roll with you or observe. Get a video of yourself rolling and have a look at yourself.

learn to love it.....because you're gonna hit alot of those plateaus.....train through it. Forget all those fancy moves just stick to the basics. like Relson tells us day by day....

man, just means you have a lot to learn. Can't master jiu jitsu in four months i think you're just learning an important lesson.

maybe your going through that phase transforming from
physical to technical,
your giving up brawn ok that is a set back, and you dont quite have the
technique yet, so right now you've regressed so that in the long run you improve.

take a few steps back in order to keep moving foward, make sense?

i have days where i do ok with a blue belt then get smoked by whitebelts, it's just a funny sport like that. only way to get better is to keep training and learning, don't worry about beating people.

4 months is not long enough to judge whether you have hit a plateau. The guys you are training with will be improving their games and making it harder for you. Whatever you do don't give up on it, maybe you need a slap like bob_shamrock got the other day for his judo 'incident'

Yeah.

Well, this weekend I have a competition, and the past few weeks I feel like I've been curbed. Then, Monday everything just worked - I defeated people I've never defeated beforem, with ease.

I think you are too much concerned about winning and loosing
rather than monitoring your progress and analyzing yourself,
self monitoring and improving does not equal winning in class.

THAT CHANGES THAT CHANGES THAT CHANGES!!!!!!!!!!!!

I felt exactly the same way as you, EXACTLY. Honestly, what you need to do, is not worry about getting tapped by anyone at all. I know it sucks, and I hate tapping to guys who have trained less than 3 years. The solution is to roll, roll, and roll some more. Trust me, it goes away the more you roll. Work your technique, but just keep rolling, and don't quit!

I think the general concensus is to keep rolling.... We all have days or times where we get beat or feel like we suck.. The difference is are you the kind of guy who loses and just walks away.. or you can be smart about it learn from you mistakes and keep training. You should be thanking the guy for finding a weak spot in your game.. now you have something to work on.

Every time i get down about doing shitty at practice i tell my self that. "You should be happy, he is making you better" and its true.. every time you lose you get a little better.

4 months is a blink of an eye to a bjj black belt. you've got a long way to go so get your head right and your rolling will follow.

VampireMonk said:
maybe your going through that phase transforming from
physical to technical,
your giving up brawn ok that is a set back, and you dont quite have the
technique yet, so right now you've regressed so that in the long run you improve.

take a few steps back in order to keep moving foward, make sense?

I have basically given up on trying to use muscle for now. I am focusing on using technique and hopefully this is part of what's going on.

Thank you guys for your responses and help, the solutiton seems to be stick with it and keep rolling. Thanks again.

Like Chuck Liddell said (how dare I mention his name in the grappling forum);

"Everytime you step in the ring you're taking a risk. There will be times when you'll loose to guys you shouldn't have. That's just the way it goes and that's the risk you take when you compete."

Same here - I have been taking bjj/sub wrestling for just over 4 months and in my last 2 classes I was tapped by 'new' guys.

For me I think part of it is that I was overconfident and was taking it a bit easy on them. I have been complemented by more experienced guys for trying technique over strength. I think I have been overdoing that and don't yet have enough technique.

Just keep at it!

JoeU1741 said:
Like Chuck Liddell said (how dare I mention his name in the grappling forum);

"Everytime you step in the ring you're taking a risk. There will be times when you'll loose to guys you shouldn't have. That's just the way it goes and that's the risk you take when you compete."

He's a BJJ purple, I think he's welcome here.

Hey ive been training for about 6 month and it happened to me too. Just keep rolling and not care about tapping to ANYONE.

I used to be very humble about tapping to ppl who were advanced white and over but would try to never tap to guys that are newer or that I used to beat. Thats not a good way to train, now instead I use the newer guy to pratice thing im not super good at(like new sweep, or getting out of subs) because against higher guys i cant control the flow as much. Anyway this often lead to me getting tapped by them. I dont care anymore, this give me pratice at thign im not good at and it make newer guys feel good about tapping me. I try and only think about improving my game now and not how many times i got tapped or tapped guys.

Back