Elections What is the rights solution to child poverty?

As I said above States with abortion bans are not only against anything other than abstinence-only sex-ed, they're increasingly against contraceptives for unmarried people. So yes, in essence, they would like to force them to have unprotected sex if they have sex, and refusing to educate children on ANY dangers of sex such as STD's and unwanted pregnancies.
I mentioned in another post about how Iowa, which just implemented a significant abortion ban, also turned down funding for programs aimed a new mothers, young mothers, and a program examining maternal mortality.

It's very sad because this is exactly what the pro-choice crowd was always saying was a potential problem. If they're going to force people to have children that they're not prepared for, at least do something for the new mothers. And we all knew that the anti-abortion crowd would drag their feet on the issue because they didn't really care about the outcomes for the children. They just wanted a punishment for women who got pregnant in an unacceptable way. A modern version of the Scarlet Letter.

I mentioned in another post about how Iowa, which just implemented a significant abortion ban, also turned down funding for programs aimed a new mothers, young mothers, and a program examining maternal mortality.

It's very sad because this is exactly what the pro-choice crowd was always saying was a potential problem. If they're going to force people to have children that they're prepared for, at least do something for the new mothers. And we all knew that the anti-abortion crowd would drag their feet on the issue because they didn't really care about the outcomes for the children. They just wanted a punishment for women who got pregnant in an unacceptable way. A modern version of the Scarlet Letter.

Theyll do something for them, theyll allow them to have a non-Unionized meat packing job that will also employ their kid once they turn 3, especially with public schools eradicated and private schools only located in wealthy suburbs, while child care is unaffordable.

Murica!!

<seedat>

Sounds great in theory until some other kids open an ice tea stand down the street and undercut you.
Then buy them out and form an monopoly and when the government tries to break your company up pay them off err I mean pay some taxes and they will leave alone. Good old fashioned capitalism.

Pretty sure everyone on the right voted against expanded child tax credits, and that their tax cuts overwhelmingly favor the wealthy
I mean now they do. But the earned income tax credit is a conservative idea and Reagan called it the best anti poverty program ever designed.
https://www.americanrhetoric.com/speeches/ronaldreagantaxreformactof1986.html

Unfortunately, the right is eating itself now. RINOs and populist are taking positions that no conservative would ever take.

i still think these are the best ideas from the right But we need to get back to the middle on issues like this.

Last edited:
Well no, that's not what I effectively asked. I said if you stop paying women to get knocked up by bums, that'll already cut down on the number who get knocked up by bums, and the ones who still do will have their kids put up for adoption and raised by people who are able to do it.

I have adopted family members, and to be honest they probably aren't as smart as the blood relatives in the same household, but they didn't grow up in poverty like they would have with their birth mothers, didn't join gangs and are functional adults now.

The alternative is to keep paying women to have kids with no husband or job, or to give the kids a chicken nugget at school or whatever the hell else the goofy TS thought was a solution, and watch the ludicrous trajectory of single motherhood continue.

And yet, here we are, in 2023 with a lower-than-desirable birth rate.

I think instead of blaming people for having sex, perhaps society could remember that it's main job is to take care of it's citizens.

There's no other purpose to a society than that.

Teach it all you want but teenagers with raging hormones and a newly awakened sense of sexuality aren't going to be consistent good decision makers, lol. Their brains aren't going to be fully formed until age 25. Until that happens, you're gambling against biological drive.

To be fair, some places have found a solution but there isn't much of a market for burkas and locking daughters in the basement until they're married here in the U.S.

Wow. Okay. I guess that means it ultimately doesn't matter if we try to educate them or not?

Something seems to be working since every teenage girl isn't walking around pregnant.

Uh no dumbass. There are food deserts in the US. I literally posted 2 videos of this happening in rural right wing towns where the big box stores moved in and monopolized the market by putting smaller grocers out of business, then later decided the town wasnt garnering them enough profit so they left. Or when the only private grocery that exists goes out of business. This forces residents already living below to poverty line to travel to the nearest larger town for food, which in both cases was more than 15 miles. That's cataclysmic for families on budgets, or who have no car.

Both towns had to literally resort to Communism to get by, where they chose to collectively open a grocery store owned by the town itself. But this is common in small towns in the US with too much privatization. People end up with a lack of access to food.

And it's funny because people of your ilk complain all day with how out-of-touch you think your political opposition is, and yet you think that people who lack access to food are just being neglectful lol
Lol, only took you 3 days after I posted this to you
<36>

and you'll be the first person on here screaming about "food deserts" when nobody wants to put up the money to open a store or restaurant that loses money every year.

As I said above States with abortion bans are not only against anything other than abstinence-only sex-ed, they're increasingly against contraceptives for unmarried people. So yes, in essence, they would like to force them to have unprotected sex if they have sex

Both of my daughters were prescribed birth control by their doctors to help with hormonal issues while they were in high school. In Oklahoma. My oldest is married now, but neither of them ever had any issues getting their medication. Regardless, you don't have to fill out a questionnaire to buy condoms. So no, in essence, they're not being forced to have unprotected sex. They have options for protection.

and refusing to educate children on ANY dangers of sex such as STD's and unwanted pregnancies.

My wife and I took it upon ourselves to discuss this with them as well. Whether the state provided it or not didn't matter to us. If it did, that's great, but we weren't going to depend on their school to teach them this sort of thing.

Let us know how that would look like in written policy
That's the joke. Republicans say something akin to this, but it's not a solution.
"You should have/could have done...." doesn't address what the reality is. The problem still exists, and for whatever reason the kid isn't getting food. So we can either complain about what people should have done and do nothing, or do what's in society's best interest and make sure the kids have food---it's not like we have a shortage of food in this country.

Wow. Okay. I guess that means it ultimately doesn't matter if we try to educate them or not?

Something seems to be working since every teenage girl isn't walking around pregnant.
Wow, I didn't realize I said not to teach anything.

Your comment about teaching sex ed immediately followed your comment about people having unprotected sex. It's overly simplistic. 50% of births to single moms are to women between 15-24 years of age. Teaching sex ed is wonderful but, it's pointless if people are ignoring the hormonal and biological elements that are in play.

You can teach sex ed all day long but when a young woman or young man is being driven by their hormones, they're not well positioned to suddenly apply information that they learned in a random class. I'm not being dismissive, just realistic. To put it another way - take two young people, they're hanging out and horny, a little petting, whatever -- do you think those kids can suddenly solve a physics problem in the moment? Of course not, their hormones are overriding their reasoning.

Sex ed is great and when you're dealing with kids who are able to rise above their lust in the moment then they can apply it's tenets. But it's never going to prevent teen and young women from getting pregnant while not married. So it makes sense to prepare for the inevitability that you're going to have numerically significant amounts of young women getting pregnant. Teach all the sex ed you want, just don't ignore the reality of sex and young people's biology. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

I find it fascinating that people still don't understand the difference between calories and nutrition. Kids in the US don't lack calories - in fact poor kids are often fatter than their peers - they lack nutrition, especially micronutrients. A whopping 25% of kids in the US are prediabetic. Nobody is hungry; the issue is they're being fed processed junk.

The food industry has been lobbying government for decades. They've managed to convince government to buy their processed junk to put in free school lunches. Industry has made sure that food stamps work on their nutritionally-bankrupt products, e.g. soda. There's no reason for the US government to fund diabetes water, it's terrible public policy. The US continues subsiding crops to maximize calories instead of subsidizing crops to maximize nutrition. Food giants like Coca Cola have paid millions of dollars to organizations like the American Academy of Pediatrics and the American Diabetes Association. Rigging institutions that people trust is part of the playbook. The food industry funds a quarter of all nutrition research in the world in order to manufacture confusion and convince lawmakers that their food isn't that bad. Not to mention that the entire healthcare system in the US is focused on treating problems once they've appeared. There's never any prevention or accountability for skyrocketing rates of chronic diseases. Then on top of that, there's a ton of money to be made by the pharmaceutical and healthcare industries in treating people once they've become sick. A single kid with diabetes is a cash cow for the pharmaceutical industry, a lifelong customer of insulin and diabetes drugs, and all the other health conditions that will branch off from that initial diagnosis of diabetes.

So, there's no money in people eating well at all, and the government has made their stance pretty clear that they like that industry money a lot more than they like you. You're not going to get a situation like France where amazing school lunches full of whole foods are subsidized by the taxpayer. The government has decided to take your taxpayer money and use it to enrich their food industry buddies with it, and then enrich their pharmaceutical industry buddies once you've become sick. It's how the US goes.

Both of my daughters were prescribed birth control by their doctors to help with hormonal issues while they were in high school. In Oklahoma. My oldest is married now, but neither of them ever had any issues getting their medication. Regardless, you don't have to fill out a questionnaire to buy condoms. So no, in essence, they're not being forced to have unprotected sex. They have options for protection.

My wife and I took it upon ourselves to discuss this with them as well. Whether the state provided it or not didn't matter to us. If it did, that's great, but we weren't going to depend on their school to teach them this sort of thing.

I didnt say the States currently banned contraceptives, but Republican legislatures have shown clear intent to and some elected Republicans have espoused the idea of a National ban for unmarried people. Far right pundits are also putting that messaging out there, under the premise of protecting life...but really looks more like capitalist-funded concern over population numbers, a loss of political influence, and of workforce numbers.

It's not food though. Any kids that starve in this country are because of neglect, not lack of food.

According to democrats, it's apparently everybody's fault but the parents.
Buck ultimately stops with the parents. However, I also realize that even the most well-meaning and hard working parent/parents can fall short. But parents also used to have more support. There was a time when the community had an unspoken accord regarding the children in their communities. I am from one of those periods and I remember being called out for bad behavior by a neighbor, reported on to my parents, taught to respect the elders on the street and block to some degree. Ate more than one meal at any particular friends house and they ate at mine. Was one of many that got a fresh cookie baked by one of the old ladies we all knew and saw on a near day to day basis while out in the neighborhood. Now people mostly keep their heads down, eyes closed and ears plugged.

There was a time when the community had an unspoken accord regarding the children in their communities. I am from one of those periods and I remember being called out for bad behavior by a neighbor, reported on to my parents, taught to respect the elders on the street and block to some degree. Ate more than one meal at any particular friends house and they ate at mine. Was one of many that got a fresh cookie baked by one of the old ladies we all knew and saw on a near day to day basis while out in the neighborhood. Now people mostly keep their heads down, eyes closed and ears plugged.
This is a point that's worth exploring from a social perspective because I think it drives a lot of our politics as well.

I live in a building so my son still has the community effect. The adults have known him since he was born and will comment on his behaviors, pro and con. But we've definitely entered into an era where parents don't want other people commenting on their kids' behaviors, whether it's at a park, an auditorium or just walking down the street. The "don't tell me how to raise my child" element. And so we've lost that collective parenting element, parents don't want it and non-parents don't provide it.

I'd like to see some of the research that has been done on this social change. When did it start, why did it start, etc.

Teaching children to cook would actually do a lot to ease one of the worst aspects of child poverty. Cheap, nutritious food exists. Single moms don't always have time, energy, or desire to fix it though.

Children usually don't go hungry because their mothers can't truly afford not to feed them. Beans and rice are extremely cheap. A one pound bag of beans is $1.25 and is even cheaper if you buy it in bulk.

I mean now they do. But the earned income tax credit is a conservative idea and Reagan called it the best anti poverty program ever designed.
https://www.americanrhetoric.com/speeches/ronaldreagantaxreformactof1986.html

Unfortunately, the right is eating itself now. RINOs and populist are taking positions that no conservative would ever take.

i still think these are the best ideas from the right But we need to get back to the middle on issues like this.

Reagan also espoused himself with the Bircher's. So I doubt this sentiment was wholly sincere.

Come on guys give me something?

Not a movement big on policy I guess?

Free school lunches seems wasteful for the many kids that already have parents that can make them lunch, which I imagine is the vast majority.
You know schools gauge demand ahead of time and order/prepare accordingly? They don't just order 1 meal for every student.
It also introduces issues where schools will either need to have big kitchens and staff that can prepare food on site for potentially thousands of children, or having some sort of catering service.
Most schools already rely on a central kitchen.

Can start with: Stop spending billions on Ukraine & illegals but common sense isn't so common anymore <Fedor23>

Can start with: Stop spending billions on Ukraine & illegals but common sense isn't so common anymore <Fedor23>

I prefer we stop subsidizing billion-dollar corporations with tax dollars as opposed to, you know, targeting those people.

Back