What is an acceptable delay for PED test results?

Pacemaker Joe

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
So Anderson Silva failed his random test 3 weeks before fight night last year, and there was a huge backlash that he was allowed to fight dirty.

Turns out USADA tested Tibau 2 weeks before he fought in Brazil. How long should it take to get results of random tests back, especially if there's a fight looming?

http://ufc.usada.org/gleison-tibau-accepts-doping-sanction/

"Tibau, 32, tested positive for erythropoietin (EPO) following both out-of-competition and in-competition tests conducted on October 23, 2015 in Coconut Creek, Florida, and on November 7, 2015 in Sao Paulo, Brazil, respectively. EPO is a synthetic hormone used to stimulate the body’s production of red blood cells, thereby increasing oxygen transport and aerobic power, and is a prohibited substance in the class of Peptide Hormones, Growth Factors, Related Substances and Mimetics under the UFC Anti-Doping Policy."

Regular blood tests take a week or two. I guess they could be done in under a week.
I think the question is, what deal do they have with the UFC? Do they have to wait for a second sample? Can they risk an event with the chance of a tainted sample?

I have no clue whatsover.

Regular blood tests take a week or two. I guess they could be done in under a week.
I think the question is, what deal do they have with the UFC? Do they have to wait for a second sample? Can they risk an event with the chance of a tainted sample?

Isn't the sample split into four parts and sent to 2 different labs to narrow the margin of error? That could have something to do with it. I can't imagine these labs are strictly for UFC fighter testing only, there's probably some kind of backlog involved.

They notify the UFC when they get a positive test on an A sample.

The problem is that you haven't actually been popped until your B sample comes up hot as well. Imagine pulling a major main event of a whole card and the B sample comes back clean.

I would say anything outside 3 weeks is too slow, I would hope to get all collected samples analysed within 3 weeks.

With Tibau, collected the Friday, fight two weeks later on the Saturday. In an ideal world they should have been analysed within two weeks and before the fight.

Only thing I would say it was early in the USADA process, they are testing from much further out now. Also, Thanksgiving was slap bang in the middle of that timeline, so assuming the samples were sent to the US (which they should have been as the Brazil lab didnt have its accreditation at the time), your looking at a day to get the samples to the US, so wouldnt arrive till monday (working day wise), and then thanksgiving holiday would screw everything up.

at the moment on most samples we are seeing about a week to ten days turnaround (from fighters posting on social media through to appearing on adams)

I would say anything outside 3 weeks is too slow, I would hope to get all collected samples analysed within 3 weeks.

With Tibau, collected the Friday, fight two weeks later on the Saturday. In an ideal world they should have been analysed within two weeks and before the fight.

Only thing I would say it was early in the USADA process, they are testing from much further out now. Also, Thanksgiving was slap bang in the middle of that timeline, so assuming the samples were sent to the US (which they should have been as the Brazil lab didnt have its accreditation at the time), your looking at a day to get the samples to the US, so wouldnt arrive till monday (working day wise), and then thanksgiving holiday would screw everything up.

at the moment on most samples we are seeing about a week to ten days turnaround (from fighters posting on social media through to appearing on adams)

Yea. The UFC didn't issue a press release about his OOC failure until a month and a half later. I'm guessing if they figured it wouldn't get back before fight night there was no reason to expedite it at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gladiator47
Back