What is a knock down? Rule book Explanation with examples.

nac386

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
There seems to be some confusion as to what is and is not a knock down.

From the rulebook (accessed from BoxRec):

An official knockdown is ruled in boxing when a fighter is punched and:

a) a part of his/her body other than the feet touch the canvas (such as his butt or glove)

b) when a fighter is being held up by the ropes (i.e. the fighter would have fallen had the ropes not been there)

c) when a fighter is hanging on, through or over the ropes and

d) cannot protect himself and, for whatever reason, is lodged on a position where he can't fall

A slip or fall to the canvas by a boxer, resulting in any of the above conditions, is not a knockdown.

This is a knockdown:

jRJD3R.gif

This is not a knockdown:

W6B4MW.gif

Yeah that first Bradley knockdown was weird. But it's hard to call it anything but a knockdown. In any case, it didn't matter.

Yeah that first Bradley knockdown was weird. But it's hard to call it anything but a knockdown. In any case, it didn't matter.

It has no effect on the fight, but the response that some people had was surprising to me. I made this thread because some people seem to think somebody must be hurt or stunned for a knockdown to count. Many knockdowns are simply a symptom of the fighter being off-balance, which is why it is so important to remain balanced during a fight.

When Bradley moved to his left, both his feet came off the ground. Pacquiao hit him with the right hook while his feet were not under him causing him to lose his balance. That is a 100% legitimate knock down, regardless of the force (or lack thereof) behind the punch.

It has no effect on the fight, but the response that some people had was surprising to me. I made this thread because some people seem to think somebody must be hurt or stunned for a knockdown to count. Many knockdowns are simply a symptom of the fighter being off-balance, which is why it is so important to remain balanced during a fight.

When Bradley moved to his left, both his feet came off the ground. Pacquiao hit him with the right hook while his feet were not under him causing him to lose his balance. That is a 100% legitimate knock down, regardless of the force (or lack thereof) behind the punch.

Agreed. The second one was a little weird too. Such a short punch and it sent iron chinned Bradley sprawling. Must have been a bit off balance on that one too.

Agreed. The second one was a little weird too. Such a short punch and it sent iron chinned Bradley sprawling. Must have been a bit off balance on that one too.
That one got him at an odd angle. Those tend to hurt a bit more.

That one got him at an odd angle. Those tend to hurt a bit more.

He was badly hurt by a brutal left hand right before that. When the full highlight comes out you will see if you missed it. It was by far the hardest shot landed the entire fight. The shot that put him down was simply knocking him over after he was already stunned.

That first KD in the Pac/Bradley fight was not a KD. The second was legit. Bradley called it right post fight. There was one particular angle where you could see pretty clearly that Bradley got pushed a little, which forced him to touch the canvas.

That first KD in the Pac/Bradley fight was not a KD. The second was legit. Bradley called it right post fight. There was one particular angle where you could see pretty clearly that Bradley got pushed a little, which forced him to touch the canvas.

I believe he was "pushed" (your word) by a right hook, which means it is a knockdown. You do not have to have snap in the punch for it to count. The ref called it correctly.

The angle that I provided shows their entire bodies throughout the knockdown. It doesn't get much better than that.

Last edited:
I believe he was "pushed" (your word) by a right hook, which means it is a knockdown. You do not have to have snap in the punch for it to count. The ref called it correctly.

The angle that I provided shows their entire bodies throughout the knockdown. It doesn't get much better than that.

I agree with this, it doesn't matter how hard the shot is, if that is the direct cause of you going down then its a KD.

You can't be pushed by a right hook, if it's a push then it's inside of the glove and therefore an illegal shot. If the punch is legal it isn't a push.

See the rules imply that a punch happens, and the effect of that punch is a knockdown.

If my feet are not underneath me and I am subsequently striked in that moment, that is not a knockdown.

The language of the rules suggest that the punch needs to be the cause, not merely a contributing factor.

Plus it is very evident in that gif that Pacquiao also pushed down on Bradley while he was bent over.

That gif would not be counted as a knockdown 9/10 times

I've only seen it a couple of times, but it looked more like a pull that caused Bradley to go down for the first KD. You could probably go either way on it.

I didn't see anything wrong with it. Those saying it's a BS knockdown call need to watch more boxing. He went down as a result of a punch. Didn't look like Tim was hurt but that's irrelevant. Look at the first time Manny knocked down Cotto. Same thing.

I've only seen it a couple of times, but it looked more like a pull that caused Bradley to go down for the first KD. You could probably go either way on it.
It was. Sort of like the Provodnikov fight. Bradley was hurt there but it wasn't a legal KD. The second one was for real though.

I suppose it doesn't really matter, it didn't really effect the outcome of the fight.

It was. Sort of like the Provodnikov fight. Bradley was hurt there but it wasn't a legal KD. The second one was for real though.

I suppose it doesn't really matter, it didn't really effect the outcome of the fight.

It reminded me a bit of the lone KD Hagler suffered in his career. I don't think that should be ruled a KD. To be sure I'd have to see a better angle of the Bradley KD, though.

Take a look at the replay of the first KD in Bradley's post fight interview. Its a better look than this gif.

2a0.jpg

Take me out of the equation, fans I respect a lot more than you didn't see it as a clean KD.

Your tears are delicious.

It reminded me a bit of the lone KD Hagler suffered in his career. I don't think that should be ruled a KD. To be sure I'd have to see a better angle of the Bradley KD, though.

Hagler got hit behind the head, so I agree it wasn't a knockdown. Same reason the first knockdown in the Martinez/Cotto fight shouldn't have been ruled a KD.

But Pac catches Bradley with a hook that comes in around Bradley's guard and lands on the side of the head. People can say what they want about how Bradley was moving or if the punch actually looks like it pulled him down, but the fact remains that Bradley went down as the result of that punch. Thus it was ruled a knockdown correctly.

It looked like Hagler only got hit with a forearm there, which from my understanding would mean it's not a legal punch.

I think, from the angles I've seen, Pac hit Bradley with his glove so it's a legal punch and knockdown.

The post-fight interview is not on youtube, so I can't see the one Seano is talking about.

Last edited:
This is a highlight of all of the exchanges in the fight . At 5:16 they have the slow mo replays of the first knockdown. Pretty clear knockdown.

Watching this video again because I don't know how long it will be up for. Pacquiao really fucked Bradley up in this fight. Bradley was about 10 seconds away from being knocked out before the final bell. What a great fight .

I don't understand the debate. Pacquiao hits Bradley with a right hook which knocks him down? What the hell are people disputing here.

Sorry if I'm missing something but it's just not clear to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ljae89
Back