What if Wilder moves down to CW?

dayumlol

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Has a HW ever done that?

Wilder could make 200 lbs with ez.

He'd wreck guys and people wouldn't care much.

Not gonna happen. He stays ducking the Charlie Z rematch. He don’t want that smoke

Fck it if he loses to fury again I hope he does it, if he can make the weight. He’d definitely be a welcome addition
Please let him fck up Lawrence okolie first!

Has a HW ever done that?

He gets paid less to destroy everyone.

Wilder is still a HW contender as long as he still has confidence. The highest KO ratio in history whose only loss is being outclassed by the best boxer in the division by miles.

Wilder - AJ would be a banger. As would Wilder - Usyk.

Wilder vs Ruiz seems like the logical fight to make here. Would love to see him fight usyk but I think he would be out boxed by the faster and more technical former cruiserweight. I think he stays at heavyweight but should take at least 2 or 3 fights before he takes another shot at tyson fury.

Has a HW ever done that?

Bellew beat Haye twice at heavyweight and then returned to cruiserweight. Roy Jones did similar years earlier.

Heavyweight is the glamour division where the money is. That's why it is virtually one way traffic upward.

I recall Chris Byrd attempting a move to light heavyweight, and it didn't go well.

Nobody really aspires to fight in the cruiserweight division because there's just no money in it. You basically establish yourself there and then move up to heavyweight.

I feel that the weight limit should've remained 190 pounds. If you're 200 pounds or over, you're good to go as a heavyweight.

Has a HW ever done that?

Wilder is 35 and 6”7 ,he’d have to cut to 200 ? He just weighed one of his heaviest for Fury and not remotely has he been close to looking good at even 209 according to him being saved against Ortiz and that 2/3 years ago ?

He’s already made excuses of being under weight in other fights despite winning ,if he fought Mike Tyson he’d probably get so rattled he can weigh in close to that from the panic setting in , but let’s talk real .

It’s 2020 , Wilder would have to chop one leg off to make a CW , maybe he’d do it to fight his brother ?

That might be a bad move. Wilder moves down, then Usyk moves down for one fight just to lay a beating on Wilder and make an example out of him.

Iirc orlin Norris started at HW, lost to a few contenders, went to cruiserweight won some titles and then came back up fought tyson and a few others.

ya, it's pretty rare for a fighter with some mileage on them going down in weight, I think hopkins debuted at 175, lost and went down to 160. Fighters have been known to balloon up between fights, but I can't think of many who actually fight at higher weights at a high level and then go down. I think Sugar Ray Robinson went down to welter after being a middleweight and beating kid gavilan, Delahoya unsuccessfully tried to go back down to welter to fight pac, doesn't happen much, everyone knows about Roy Jones and Chris Byrd, it's an interesting question though, I just think there isn't much incentive to losing weight, eating less, maybe training more and usually making less money, no incentive so it doesn't happen much. I think henry armstrong was juggling 3 weights at one time but he's a top five fighter in his prime.

He's already way too lean IMO to safely take off that much mass in order to make Cruiserweight. It would obviously be ill-advised. Even if he could squeeze down a division it doesn't mean he should. I would expect it to negatively affect his ability to perform and being in his mid-30's would make it even riskier to attempt.

ya, it's pretty rare for a fighter with some mileage on them going down in weight, I think hopkins debuted at 175, lost and went down to 160. Fighters have been known to balloon up between fights, but I can't think of many who actually fight at higher weights at a high level and then go down. I think Sugar Ray Robinson went down to welter after being a middleweight and beating kid gavilan, Delahoya unsuccessfully tried to go back down to welter to fight pac, doesn't happen much, everyone knows about Roy Jones and Chris Byrd, it's an interesting question though, I just think there isn't much incentive to losing weight, eating less, maybe training more and usually making less money, no incentive so it doesn't happen much. I think henry armstrong was juggling 3 weights at one time but he's a top five fighter in his prime.
Anthony mundine won various versions of 'world titles' in 168 then 160 and 154. I use that word world titles very loosely. He has spoken of the brutality of his cuts. Esp as he got late 30's.

The ONLY reason for him to move down to 200 would be securing a 1 off fight getting Andre Ward to come out of retirement

ya, it's pretty rare for a fighter with some mileage on them going down in weight, I think hopkins debuted at 175, lost and went down to 160. Fighters have been known to balloon up between fights, but I can't think of many who actually fight at higher weights at a high level and then go down. I think Sugar Ray Robinson went down to welter after being a middleweight and beating kid gavilan, Delahoya unsuccessfully tried to go back down to welter to fight pac, doesn't happen much, everyone knows about Roy Jones and Chris Byrd, it's an interesting question though, I just think there isn't much incentive to losing weight, eating less, maybe training more and usually making less
Canelo gave up his middleweight title to avoid GGG and fight for a super welterweight title against...... Liam Smith

Canelo gave up his middleweight title to avoid GGG and fight for a super welterweight title against...... Liam Smith
is that right? how'd he look? Also, I think i was wrong about Sugar Ray, he was still a welter when he rematched gavilan but there was talk about him growing out of the weight, i recall an old liebling essay about the fight where Joe louis picked against him because he'd be "skin and bones".

It's pretty uncommon but I think like i said, the main reason is, there is no incentive to losing more weight, some boxers will tell you that the hardest part about the sport is not the grunting, the sweating and the punching but the starving themselves to make weight. Interestingly, Muhammad Ali, in the 60's was so active that he came in for one of his defenses at 200, didn't hurt his performance as he was young and about as good as he'd ever be, a 200 pound man, hell, even a 168 pound man can, as George Benton said, hit hard enough to knock down a house.

is that right? how'd he look? Also, I think i was wrong about Sugar Ray, he was still a welter when he rematched gavilan but there was talk about him growing out of the weight, i recall an old liebling essay about the fight where Joe louis picked against him because he'd be "skin and bones".

It's pretty uncommon but I think like i said, the main reason is, there is no incentive to losing more weight, some boxers will tell you that the hardest part about the sport is not the grunting, the sweating and the punching but the starving themselves to make weight. Interestingly, Muhammad Ali, in the 60's was so active that he came in for one of his defenses at 200, didn't hurt his performance as he was young and about as good as he'd ever be, a 200 pound man, hell, even a 168 pound man can, as George Benton said, hit hard enough to knock down a house.
He looked great, when Canelo did it, he had just fight Cotto at a catch weight and not the full middleweight limit.

I said it more as a way of showing how ridiculous it was for Canelo to drop his title

Less money. Less fame. Less options. Too big of a risk and sacrifice for no reward.

He can make more and still be relevant as a top 5 heavyweight without a belt than he could ever as a unifed undisputed CW champion.

If he cuts weight he will lose some power and durability. He will be facing more skilled, faster, and better conditioned athletes. So still some risk factors that could exploit his big flaws.

Back