What if Max wins against Gaethje at UFC 300?

I'm sure fighters all over the place would be demanding a chance to win the coveted BMF belt. It's their lifelong dream.

This is a bad matchup.

Personally I don't see how in the world Max wins. Unless JG got his chin cracked in his last couple fights and Max hits him with volume, ala Diaz/Strickland, I see Gaethje winning a pretty one-sided beatdown. Not saying it can't happen, but i just don't see Max's power jumping that much against a true LW, just like vs DP

Right now hes to weak and doesnt have the power to make it at 155.. we seen with the dp fight if max is serious hed gain some muscle before he moves up but yeah I think he wins vs islam his tdd is insane

Then he’s the BMF I guess?
It might be the only belt he’s getting at the moment. Because he’s not beating Islam at LW and never seeing another title shot at FW if Volk wins

such a pointless fight and indicative of UFCs major matchmaking problems. helps no one who wins, besides maybe some sort of BMF title defense down the road? like who gives a fuck? max has a better shot against the older, off the couch damaged volk, than any other top 5 in the LW division, let alone the champ. really wish UFC would go back to the older ways. better matchmaking

I’m picking Gaethje to win unless Holloway capitalizes on a huge blunder on Justin’s part. Either way I’m expecting them both to look like this by the 3rd round:
IMG_4953.jpeg

Honestly the fight doesn't make a lot of sense, especially for Gaethje. For Max,I guess he's kind of out of options at BW having lost to Volk 3 times already. But, going up and fighting Gaethje doesn't help him much unless he's just wanting fun fights at this point in his career. I just don't see him making any sort of run at 155. His one foray into LW against Poirier did not go well.

For Gaethje, he's basically already in line for a title shot, and Islam has even expressed interest in having him be his next defense in June. So, this fight is a definite risk. Max is a tough dude, and even if he wins it will likely be a 5 round war. So, he might not be ready in time for Islam in June. If he loses, he probably forfeits his place in line. Hope they are both being compensated well.

All due respect to Max but I really have a hard time believing he can win this fight. I’m surprised he accepted it. He just doesn’t have the power to match the big hitters in that weight class. And the amount of time it takes to put on the volume to really hurt an elite LW. Is too long to be taking leg kicks, and powerful strikes from Justin. I just can’t see this going Max’s way. Justin is the last person I’d suggest Max fight at LW.

I like Max way more, though.
He never had the power. But he has the stamina and the output to weather the storm. I see him having a hard road to a W here. Hopefully he's learned to check those kicks. Respect to him for having the balls to fight these dudes.

Max is my favourite fighter by a country mile, but I don't like this fight for him at all. He fights at a dangerously close range. he has good defence but he does get hit. One does not simply tank gaethje's punches.
Also Justin gaethje can leg kick in the clinch, one of the only fighters I've ever seen doing that. Gaethje also has uppercuts and stuff in that range, so that's not good for him.
At kicking range, sure max has round body kicks, Front Kicks to the body, spinning back kicks and all aforementioned kicks to the head. His leg kicks ain't shit though. Justin's leg kicks will slow him down significantly.
He can outgrapple him but he can't outwrestle justin. You need to wrestling for grappling.
The only way I see max winning is point fighting, kicks/Front Kicks etc and then some lethal counter shot. The one he got chan sung Jung with.

If he wins he deserves a title shot, but honestly don't see how he can beat Islam if the match was booked. Even if he beats Gaethje, Islam fight is a whole other beast.

Always thought Max was destined for LW and he even would talk about it. Thought he'd do it right though. Instead he has either tried to take a short notice title fight and damn near kill himself to cut weight or come in bloated and soft against a top tier contender.
I hope he has tried to add some muscle before going up against Justin. I don't know if he has and whether he is thinking to make a permanent move up at this point.
He's reminding me a bit of BJ with his approach which surprises me. Thought Max was smarter than this.
Don't dabble with moving up - do it for real or don't do it at all.

Always thought Max was destined for LW and he even would talk about it. Thought he'd do it right though. Instead he has either tried to take a short notice title fight and damn near kill himself to cut weight or come in bloated and soft against a top tier contender.
I hope he has tried to add some muscle before going up against Justin. I don't know if he has and whether he is thinking to make a permanent move up at this point.
He's reminding me a bit of BJ with his approach which surprises me. Thought Max was smarter than this.
Don't dabble with moving up - do it for real or don't do it at all.
Perfectly said.

I am sure we are going to see Max get knockdown for the first time in his career and maybe Gaethje is going to finish him via strikes too.

Back