What if Edgar dropped to 135 for immediate title consideration?

Rebel_LioN

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Do you think he'd beat TJ? That would be one of the sickest superfights and I'd pay to see it.

I think if Frankie chose to, he could cut down to 135. Reason why I ask, is because he keeps getting passed at the 145 belt and he needs to get his shot. He's still winning (streak at 4) and I still think he has the heart/mentality of a champion.

And obviously, the public aren't asking for him to fight because they don't like his style.

It'd be a smart business move for UFC. Keep Frankie as far away from Connor as possible and maybe move him out to another division.

I guess Edgar'd be given an instant title shot at TJ's belt if he asks for one.

Connor fans would approve faster than Edgar fans.

Edgar fans are okay with him staying at 145 and fighting the winner of Aldo/Coner

I'd take TJ I think.

If he can make the weight safely I like it. Zero possibility of happening though, especially with IV ban.

I think TJ would win a close'ish decision based on Frankie not being able to get the takedown in the later rounds.

Frankie dropping to 35 would make Dana and Lorenzo unbelievably happy. They are going to do everything in their power to keep Edgar away from their pet. It would save them the headache of having to figure out how.

I think TJ is a much tougher fight for Edgar than McGregor is, honestly. I think Edgar runs right through McGregor en route to a blowout 50-45 UD or a late stoppage. TJ, on the other hand, is aeons beyond McGregor in grappling, is at least as good of a striker, and presents the added degree of difficulty of a tough weight cut. Interesting fight.

I wouldn't mind it.

He'd beatdown everyone in that division setting aside TJ and Cruz.

TJ is a worst match up for him than Conor.

I'd favor TJ, but Edgar is skilled enough to fight just about anybody in the world from 125-155 and be a very real threat.

i want him to win the featherweight title before he wins the bantamweight title

then he can be a 3 division champion

i want him to win the featherweight title before he wins the bantamweight title

then he can be a 3 division champion

He isn't getting any younger. He should take what they'll give him. Conny Boy and Jose are fighting in December and then they'll not fight at all during 2016. Edgar wouldn't get a shot until 2017 at best.

Edgar already beat most of the best 155 pounders on earth and has only been legitimately beaten by Aldo, who was then, arguably still is, the best pound for pound fighter in the sport

Dillashaw, Cruz, Barao, Assuncao are all great fighters but Edgar has his way with any and all of them. Aldo is the only man under 155 with anything for the rightful lightweight champion.

TJ beats him. Frankie excels when he's the faster man and he certainly wouldn't have that advantage in this fight. Dillashaw has 100% TDD as well and is very athletic/explosive, I don't see Frankie keeping him on his back for long either. Bad matchup for Frankie IMO.

He isn't getting any younger. He should take what they'll give him. Conny Boy and Jose are fighting in December and then they'll not fight at all during 2016. Edgar wouldn't get a shot until 2017 at best.

IMO he should strongly consider a "temporary" move down to 135 for that title if he were to get an immediate shot.

He'd be an instant legend for doing this and if he succeeds I say he can go back to 145 a lil bit later and try for that belt.

Cuz who the fuck knows if Aldo may get an immediate rematch if he were to lose to Conor and curb Frankie Edgar once again. Or vice versa, if Conor were to get a rematch etc.

Back