What if cyborg was really a cyborg?

Roca

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
No really @mods don't wasteland this yet.

Fighters get titanium or whatnot implants all the time with broken bones. Plates in their skulls, rods in their limbs etc. As this technology becomes more prevalent we will see increasing cyborged fighters competing.
In the near future we may see technological advances that will fundamentally change the nature of athletics.

My question is twofold:

1) At what point is it too much? Assuming medical technology continues to improve at some point we may be able to replace entire bones with metal or ceramics. If a fighter had their entire tibia and fibula replaced with titanium or some super-strong ceramic would that be an unfair advantage? How would you regulate this, especially if these procedures become commonplace and the replacement was deemed 'medically' necessary?

2) What about medical enhancements? Within a decade or two it may become commonplace to completely replace failing bio-components. Take michael bisping's permanently damaged eye. Maybe in the future the solution is just to drop in an electronic eye. But what if this eye provides him better than natural vision? Or what about someone who develops a muscular disorder? Perhaps there is a synthetic muscle replacement available? Would this immediately disqualify him from athletic competition?

These scenarios may sound like science fiction but it is something that may become a reality sooner than you would think. And if we don't start discussing and anticipating these realities we may end up with some sort of super-human cyborgs fighting regular people in the cage. Remember when the ACs were too slow to adapt their TRT regulations, and super-juice Vitor Belfort spun around the cage nearly decapitating people? This could be a far worse scenario.

mz3qA.gif

if Matt Brown was actually immortal then he'd be the one to beat Cyborg surely

What if "manlets" get limb extensions and heavier metal parts....and capture ALL the titles!?!?!?!

2) What about medical enhancements? Within a decade or two it may become commonplace to completely replace failing bio-components. Take michael bisping's permanently damaged eye. Maybe in the future the solution is just to drop in an electronic eye. But what if this eye provides him better than natural vision? Or what about someone who develops a muscular disorder? Perhaps there is a synthetic muscle replacement available? Would this immediately disqualify him from athletic competition?.

youve never seen disabled athletes running on blades then.

We will just end up with Para-MMA

youve never seen disabled athletes running on blades then.

We will just end up with Para-MMA

I saw you viewing and at least I knew there would be a legitimate response.

But I feel like there will be a grey area. We allow titanium plates to reinforce bones. Can we replace the bones completely?

Terminator shit? Seriously though - whole bones replacement (not just joint) with metal/ceramics has a multitude of problems that will not be solved anytime soon

Besides your bones structural function - attachment points of tendons / ligament / muscle groups - I spent years dissecting cadavers my post grad days

you have physiological functions
- producing red blood cells- This could be accomplished by several means, either by keeping the bone marrow alive within the metal 'bones', or receiving daily blood transfusions
- producing stem and T cells- could also be accomplished by retaining some marrow, or by transfusions
- maintaining a correct calcium ion concentration- your blood contains calcium for use in muscle movement. This is regulated by your thyroid gland. To add extra calcium to the bloodstream when concentration is low, the thyroid prompts the bones to release calcium. Without real bones, you would quickly go into shock. You would have to monitor calcium levels and receive periodic injections of a calcium solution, much like a diabetic with insulin.

only woks in Sci Fi stuff

So Anderson is a cyborg now?

Seriously, though.

It will become very problematic at some point.
The tech to enhance yourself will become affordable, while extensive, comprehensive testing for every possible body modification will be prohibitively expensive - if some mods can be detected at all.

Back