What happens if a fighter suffers a medical emergency during a fight?

WhuffieCollector

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
If a fighter suffers a medical emergency such as a heart attack during a fight, does the opponent get the W or is it a no contest?

For example, a minute into a fight with little action so far, Fighter A drops to the mat clutching his chest in obvious medical distress.

Obviously the fight would be stopped and the ringside doctors would attend to the fighter and get him to a hospital, etc.

My (admittedly weird) question is, does that mean Fighter B wins the fight?

Edit: For the record, I hope this never happens and if it does I hope the fighter fully recovers...just in case anyone thinks I'm some sort of twisted psycho LOL.

Last edited:
Wish that never happens, but like what you said it's probably a no contest.

Like Silva vs Côté? That was ruled a TKO.

Bob Sapp's MMA record indicates it goes as a W for fighter B.

Ken Shamrock felt like he was having a heart attack in a fight during 2002 and had to throw in the towel. Though, he was only having severe heart palpitations.

Why wouldn't it be a TKO? Like say it happened in the third round to a fighter after he lost two 10-8 rounds? We would call that a TKO.

It's a clear TKO. No contest is only for accidental stuff.

Pretty sure someone suffered a heart attack during a fight in a smaller show and received a loss. Can't remember the name though

Why wouldn't it be a TKO? Like say it happened in the third round to a fighter after he lost two 10-8 rounds? We would call that a TKO.
because sherdogger's clearly does not know anything about rules.

What if you have to take an emergency shitter? Do they give you 5-10min like when you get hit in the balls or give you an L?

What if you have to take an emergency shitter? Do they give you 5-10min like when you get hit in the balls or give you an L?
new rules are that if you crap yourself the bout is declared as a win for opponent

Ken Shamrock felt like he was having a heart attack in a fight during 2002 and had to throw in the towel. Though, he was only having severe heart palpitations.
Crazy ass fight! Super jacked Shammy shows off new Muay Thai and lands devastating strikes but Iron Head won't go down. Shammy starts to gas and has heart problems.

fujita.jpg

Shammy: Petey! My heart! Throw the towel!

Iron Head: WTF???? Is that all you got????

If it's mid-round, probably a loss for the fighter. In between rounds, maybe an NC.

Crazy ass fight! Super jacked Shammy shows off new Muay Thai and lands devastating strikes but Iron Head won't go down. Shammy starts to gas and has heart problems.

fujita.jpg

Shammy: Petey! My heart! Throw the towel!

Iron Head: WTF???? Is that all you got????
It wasnt a heart attack tho, probably jacked on drugs and thought he was tho. Also didnt dada 5000 have a stroke vs kimbo?

its a loss.

long distance dim mak is no joke

It wasnt a heart attack tho, probably jacked on drugs and thought he was tho. Also didnt dada 5000 have a stroke vs kimbo?
Most likely. Probably just pure exhaustion and knew Fujita was about to take over and stomp his ass.

I actually don't know what happened to Dada

Back